AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I just finished watching Disney's A Christmas Carol last night on our Mits 65C9. While the bright scenes were rendered very well, the darker scenes (and believe me there are a lot) were crushed beyond belief. It ended up being a merky mess. Anybody have any solution for the 3DA-1's black crush issue? This is really a dismal failure from Mitsubishi. No matter how many different combinations I try with the Full/Limited Color and SuperBright White settings on the PS3, the dark scenes just look miserable. I've got the PS3 routed around the 3DA-1 for 2D content as the black crush issue is well known, but I've got to use this adapter for the 3D content. It really ruied the experience. Any ideas?

·
Registered
407 Posts
To be honest, I don't really notice the black issue with my setup. I read all about it and thought it would drive me crazy when I finally got everything hooked up and but I can't really tell the difference when watching 3D or 2D content.

Maybe it's my settings? What's your color range set to on your PS3?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I had the same problem the first time I watched it.

After changing the video settings to advanced and tweaking it, things looked a lot better.

The biggest improvement came from changing the default gamma to 1.8

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Get a test disc and set your contrast and brightness controls properly. You can buy a disc, or use the THX setup feature in a THX movie.

On my calibrated WD-65835, I have a relatively new bulb so the the contrast is set at 34, brightness at 30, and no black crush. PS3 set to RGB Limited (video levels).

YMMV

·
Registered
5,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Dawson /forum/post/19530831

The RGB setting is what I was getting at in my post too.

"RGB = Limited" and you should see a significant improvement. Something about how the 3da-1 handles the "Full" color range values.
It's Sony-speak.

RGB Limited is for Video levels. RGB Full is for PC levels, which are mapped differently.

It's technical, but hwjohn explained it pretty well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn /forum/post/12650699

[snip] ...The two ranges you are describing are generally referred to as "PC levels" and "video levels." The important thing is that the display device is expecting what you are feeding it. TV's normally use "video levels" ...

...Without going into a lot of detail, you want to use limited on both the TV and PS3. All DVD/Blu-Ray will use those levels, and they would have to be re-mapped otherwise. I'd be willing to bet that the XMB, games, etc. can use one just as easily as the other because the graphics are generally created on the fly, instead of being stored on disc.

Use limited.

And set your contrast and brightness correctly...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RGB Output setting on the PS3 did the trick. I am now able to see the blacker than black patterns on the DVE disc. I've also tweaked the settings under the Advanced Picture setting (Decreasing to 1.8 and enabling the Deep Field setting). I'm going to continue adjusting the colors, but it's already a night and day difference. Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.