1 - 20 of 2413 Posts

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
That's exactly the kind of improvements I'm looking for. I have been exploring various PJ options, and there are always improvements that can be made. Since I can wait, I'm very curious what the new crop of PJs will offer in terms of higher light output, lower noise, better control of dust blobs, faster/quieter color wheels, etc.

The question is, is this new Mitsubishi 5500 just a quieter 4900, or are there other improvements? It doesn't seem to be any brighter, based on specs.

shinksma

·
Registered
354 Posts
Three things I care GREATLY about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by engadget.com /forum/post/0

designed to operate at just 19dB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepro.com /forum/post/0

anamorphic lens support for both 2.35:1 and 16:9 aspect ratios

And, of course, the $2499 MSRP
Time to finally put my Optoma HD70 (and its super loud fan) to rest.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also like that it has the Silicon Optix HQV processor in it. Can't wait for first reviews and release date.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
2.35:1

HQV

and sticker price! THIS IS MINE!!!

Also can anyone confirm if it can accept a 1080/24p signal? The 4900 does not!!

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 1080/24 is the big issue for me. I would expect that it would be we will have to wait until the full specifications come out.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am wondering if they are lowering the price of the 6000 and calling it a new name.

It will be interesting to compare the specs. Most reviews found that the 6000 was priced higher than other projectors in its class. This could be the reason for this new projector. It will be interesting to see what the unit actually sells for.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_S /forum/post/14111238

And, of course, the $2499 MSRP
Time to finally put my Optoma HD70 (and its super loud fan) to rest.

Are you running your HD70 in AI or High Lamp mode? I can't hear mine in Eco Mode.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley /forum/post/14114695

I am wondering if they are lowering the price of the 6000 and calling it a new name.

It will be interesting to compare the specs. Most reviews found that the 6000 was priced higher than other projectors in its class. This could be the reason for this new projector. It will be interesting to see what the unit actually sells for.

IIRC the HC4900 and HC6000 have different outside casings.

I wonder how this will compare to the HC6000 in performance, as teh HC6000 even with the older c6fine panels is an amazing piece of kit.

It may even leapfrog the HC6000 is performance for a time and then they can introduce a HC6500 later at CEDIA with other improvements. But they don't kill HC6000 sales.

If it has the same performance of the HC6000 at less cost, even if its in a different case it would be a winner.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dang it. I just ordered a Z2000 and now this shows up.. It bet it will be in the same price class. It has better deinterlacer, will be brighter, maybe even go deeper and run a touch quieter.. kinda depressing for me

On the bright side, the Z2000 has a much longer warranty and since the 5500 is new, it may have bugs.. time will tell.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I think the black levels will the main sore spot. I expect it won't touch the black levels of Epson or Panasonic 1080p. Win some, lose some.

·
Registered
570 Posts
IMO the single biggest enhancement is the 2.35 anamorphic lens. It probably also implies an internal 1.85 and 2.35 scaler, which means we can instantaneously switch between 1.85 and 2.35 in a CIH setup. I hope that optical quality is not sacrified for this feature.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Reon HQV sounds great, BUT it seems like a lot of people at AVS have found that

intense audio processing in AVR + intense video processing in display = intense lip sync problem.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke /forum/post/14119933

IMO the single biggest enhancement is the 2.35 anamorphic lens. It probably also implies an internal 1.85 and 2.35 scaler, which means we can instantaneously switch between 1.85 and 2.35 in a CIH setup. I hope that optical quality is not sacrified for this feature.

2nd link said '...lens support'. im taking that to mean just onboard processing/scaling for the vertical stretch needed for the 2.35x1 cih setup and not the actual lens.

i hope im wrong about the lens.
that would be one h#ll of a deal as long as the quality is there!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm just hoping this knocks the price down further on the 4900. I have no problem getting the oldie as my first projector if a good bargain is to be had.

1 - 20 of 2413 Posts