AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, tomorrow i am going to make my first RPTV purchase. i have narrowed it down to the mits 55411 and the pioneer 533. i will use the tv for 65% dish network, and 35% dvd, with alot of use from xbox as well. the price for the mits is $2520 including tax and is from a local shop so they will come and set it up as well. the pioneer is $2250 from online which only includes curbside delivery. so what do you guys think i should do? i want as many opinions as possible over the next 24 hours so that i can make my order tomorrow. thanks!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
First off, both are excellent TVs. I had to make the same choice. I chose the Mits. because I have this problem with associating Pioneer with high quality and reliability. No doubt this is a great looking set, but Mits does have a better track record.

For you, I would say the Mits seems to be a better choice because you can get it from a local store. I would be hesitant to order something this big from the internet. What if something is wrong with the TV? If its a local store, you call them and they replace it.

Anyhow, good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I also had to choose between the 55411 and a Toshiba 5XHDX82 and the Pioneer. I was unable to see or buy the Pioneer anywhere locally. I could get a good online price from onecall, but I'm not spending that kind of dough without seeing it first. I did see the 64" model at Costco, but it's impossible to evaluate it there. It's too bad, cause I think I'd probably like the Pioneer more than the Mits if I was able to actually try one. I have the 55411 now (got it last Monday) DVD's and good HDTV look great. Analog cable and VHS look like crap. The stretch modes on 4:3 material are poor also. I just keep scrolling through the formats, hoping to find one that's acceptable. Narrow is the best choice, but then you risk burn-in from the gray bars. I'm still debating whether to keep it, or try the Toshiba 50". I wish I could try a Pioneer 533.

It's too bad that the stretch modes/analog cable are poor on the Mits, cause I like everything else about it better than the Toshiba. The remote's better, the setup menus are better, the 3 component inputs are better than the Tosh's 2, the settings memory per input are better. (Saves stretch mode per input.) Service mode is easier to get into. Once the red-push is fixed, it's a great set - if you can get past the poor stretch mode and analog cable performance. I still don't know if I'll keep it. (I paid $2199 + tax/warranty)

Don't underestimate the value of buying locally, either. If you get a bad set from an online retailer, they won't replace it. They'll make you deal with the manufacturers warranty technicians - judging by some of the posts here, that could lead to months of frustration.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm waiting for my 411 to replace my 511, so I'm biased, but curbside-only delivery? Comon, its nearly 300 pounds. If the internet store has such low delivery standards, they ought to match the $2000 prices I'm seeing on Yahoo.

Negotiate the price down another 10% or so and gets the Mits locally - service does matter. Heck get the Pioneer locally if you can find it. One thing I wouldn't do is put a deadline on your purchase, walk out if they won't come down. Big screens aren't selling - NBC just said so on the nightly news - a little twist should go a long way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replys guys. i think i will go with the mits since i cant find the pioneer anywhere to take a look at it. so you think i should be able to haggle the price down a bit? im gonna go back and take a look at the mits tomorrow and see what i can do about the price. anymore opinions on either one of these sets is appreciated. one last thing, is the dish network that i have considered analog cable?? thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.