Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Equipment in use is:

Phillips VRZ-263A VCR

Sony SLV-N51 VCR

Mitsubishi 65" WD65000 DLP

Mitsubishi 50" RP anolog

I posted this same question in the RP display section.

All tapes will play on either VCR to the 50" TV with no problem.

On the DLP SOME tapes go bright, then dark (on black and white tapes) and on color tapes, the color fades in and out. Makes no differece which VCR I use.

What is the probable cause and how can I correct it.

I received one excellent reply recommending the iScan Pro by Silicon Image or one of the copyguard busters. The iScan Pro appears to be an excellent line doubler/upconverter from what I've read. The lowest price I can find is $649+SH. I researched two copy busters. The Prospect DVE773 at $279 and the CMD-850 for $350. I would like to archive my vhs library digitally which it appears either one of the copy busters would do.

My questions for this thread are:

1) Can an HTPC do the same job as the iScan Pro with equal or better quality? What software/hardware needed to replace the iScan Pro?

2) Will I be able to archive my vhs library to hard drive or DVD/CD w/o the CMD-850 or DVE773? Software/hardware needed to do this?

I plan on connecting my computer to the DLP anyway. That's the main reason I purchased it. The DLP has an XVGA connection plus no chance of screen burn.

This forum is the best I've found. Thanks for your help,

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
The symptoms you describe are certainly those of playing a copyguarded tape (Macrovision?) indirectly. Do you have the VCR that is playing the tape connected directly to the DLP monitor or is the second VCR or the 50" RP set in the chain? I ask this because I once used one of my VCR's as a video switcher, connecting other devices through the AUX input to my display. Some copyguarded source material (especially DVD's) that were connected to the AUX input of the VCR and thence to the monitor direct video inputs displayed the symptoms you described. The fix was to connect the source device DIRECTLY to the monitor without any intermediate device.

Les

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried both VCRs, one at a time, connected directly to the TVs. Both VCRs work fine on the 50" mits. Both won't work properly on the 65" DLP. Some way or another the VCRs sense copy activity when connected to the DLP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.