AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty much narrowed my search to the Hitachi 65XWX20B or the Mitsubishi 73711 and have seen the Hitachi in action. It is a great set. Problem is that I can not find a demo of the Mit anywhere in the New Orleans area. Has anyone here been able to see the Mit 73711 in action anywhere and am I missing out on any other comparable models that I should take a look see before dropping this much dinero $$$$.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
73711 has 9" CRT's, but it can't display 720p and has no DVI. I think I would wait on this years crop of Mitsu's to get DVI, although they won't display 720p at all, even converted, either. I'm sort of like the original poster though, I suspect the 73711 is a lot better in PQ than the Hitachi, but I haven't seen one in person either. I think I would try and make the drive if I were you, to the nearest showroom that had one. I would bring Avia and some DVD's you are familiar with to judge the PQ.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really want the 73" Mits, salesman told me today theres not much diff between 03 an 04 on top of line model. I really really really want the 82" but dont got $20k. Anyone here know if/what diff between the o3 and o4 models are/is?

·
Premium Member
11,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by uzun
73711 has 9" CRT's, but it can't display 720p and has no DVI. I think I would wait on this years crop of Mitsu's to get DVI, although they won't display 720p at all, even converted, either. I'm sort of like the original poster though, I suspect the 73711 is a lot better in PQ than the Hitachi, but I haven't seen one in person either. I think I would try and make the drive if I were you, to the nearest showroom that had one. I would bring Avia and some DVD's you are familiar with to judge the PQ.
Post like this really bug me. Yes, the Mits can display a 720p signal if it is converted to 1080i by either an external stb or the internal ATSC decoder (if the set is integrated). No, trying to run a native 720p signal to the component in will not work. This is common for many sets. Please tell the whole story if you are going to be making claims here. This type of incorrect information is something that can be avoided on these forums if we make the effort. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpunk2
I really want the 73" Mits, salesman told me today theres not much diff between 03 an 04 on top of line model. I really really really want the 82" but dont got $20k. Anyone here know if/what diff between the o3 and o4 models are/is?
That sales guy is just trying to make a sale, and move inventory. Their are tremendous improvements to the high-end line for 04, with units shipping in the next few weeks. Go with an x13 model, not an x11. This thread brings out the differences for the line:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=292377

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is an issue I have read at another forum regarding the 2004 Mit's with DVI and would like to know if it has been addressed here?

"The DVI shift (pictures shift to the left by 2-3 inches) could be a serious design flaw in the Mitsubishi's 2004 HDTV line. The shift is so severe that it would be almost impossible to correct it without some convergence problems using standard geometry tweaks."

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vinnyp
This is an issue I have read at another forum regarding the 2004 Mit's with DVI and would like to know if it has been addressed here?

"The DVI shift (pictures shift to the left by 2-3 inches) could be a serious design flaw in the Mitsubishi's 2004 HDTV line. The shift is so severe that it would be almost impossible to correct it without some convergence problems using standard geometry tweaks."
Most STBs have the ability to center the screen to account for any shifts. I have a shift between component and RGB from the Dish 6000, but easily centered. I'm guessing the only issue exists with the DVI DVD players.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can NOT bring myself to by the Diamond 73" it looks like a great tv and I've shopped it to less than 6k, but I must force myself to wait for the 04 in hopes that it will bring a better picture to what I watch most, my Replays and Directivos.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The 73713 does NOT have the anti-glare Diamond Shield, while the 73711 does.

The other thread makes only a brief mention of this, but I think that fact alone is of paramount importance.

I had a Pioneer non-Elite RPTV before my Mitsubishi 73711, and one time watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer... in a near-pitch black room... my friend and I could see ourselves quite clearly reflected during dark scenes. We both busted up laughing.

The anti-glare makes a huge difference. No more mirror-quality reflections. I've considered returning the 73711 for a 73713 and DVI+NetCommand 3.0, but the anti-glare screen has kept the 73711 sitting in my family room!

-Pie

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:
I can NOT bring myself to by the Diamond 73" it looks like a great tv and I've shopped it to less than 6k, but I must force myself to wait for the 04 in hopes that it will bring a better picture to what I watch most, my Replays and Directivos.
Yeah, the 73711 has an atrocious line doubler. The worse I saw in any of the '03 TV lines I compared (Sony, Pioneer, Hitachi, Panasonic, Toshiba).

I added an iScan Ultra to the TV, and this does a wonderful job on SD material, even better than the Pioneer Elite's line doubler IMHO. I also use it to watch 4:3 DVDs in Zoom mode to fill the screen, since the 73711's stretch modes only work with interlaced.

So there is a solution, though an expensive one at that!

-Pie

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EatingPie
The 73713 does NOT have the anti-glare Diamond Shield, while the 73711 does.

The other thread makes only a brief mention of this, but I think that fact alone is of paramount importance.

I had a Pioneer non-Elite RPTV before my Mitsubishi 73711, and one time watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer... in a near-pitch black room... my friend and I could see ourselves quite clearly reflected during dark scenes. We both busted up laughing.

The anti-glare makes a huge difference. No more mirror-quality reflections. I've considered returning the 73711 for a 73713 and DVI+NetCommand 3.0, but the anti-glare screen has kept the 73711 sitting in my family room!

-Pie
Now you have done it. I too was thinking of trading in my 73111 for an 04 73 inch model. I have to think an after market "anti glare" screen is available?

I have also considered the iScan Ultra because of the poor SD PQ. I'm glad to hear that it helps a lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have done some homework on these Mits and I too am concerned of the anti-glare screen. This has made me think of giving up the size of the 73713 for the antiglare of the 65813 which is another 2004 model. It also has the 9" CRTs and a much nicer Black High gloss cabinet But you have to give up some size. The Hitachi I was originally considering does have a great anti glare screen too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, I wonder if the glass screen on the WS-73713 will be removable?

·
Registered
478 Posts
The screen can be removed on the 73713, and the anti-glare problem can be resolved relatively inexpensively by ordering a "replacement" 73711 screen and putting it on the 713. If you compare the specs of the 04 Diamond 65 and the Platinum 73, the anti-glare screen is the ONLY difference. It has the same guns, features, and every other identical spec otherwise.

The features are just too compelling on the 04 line, regardless of which size you get. I have already bought the 73713, and am just waiting for it to ship. The word is that there will be an anti-glare solution for it, but the method I state above will also serve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by scoombs
The screen can be removed on the 73713, and the anti-glare problem can be resolved relatively inexpensively by ordering a "replacement" 73711 screen and putting it on the 713. If you compare the specs of the 04 Diamond 65 and the Platinum 73, the anti-glare screen is the ONLY difference. It has the same guns, features, and every other identical spec otherwise.

I have already bought the 73713, and am just waiting for it to ship. The word is that there will be an anti-glare solution for it, but the method I state above will also serve.

Scoombs,

How do you know about the anti glare solution. Sounds like a good idea but I haven't read or heard anything like that. Are you sure the 73711 will fit the 73713? Also what do you suppose the anti-glare solution will be? Please let me know the minute you have your 713 up and going and what you do about the anti-glare. Oh yeah, the only other difference between the 65813 and the 73713 other than the anti-glare screen is the cabinet. Nice black glossy one on the 65813.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I extensively tried the 65 inch version of the Mitsu in the 65711 and 909 and the XWX by hitachi in the 65, and the only thing I noticed with the 73 different from the 65 was that it had a better HD and DVD picture and attributed that to teh 9 inch guns. I loved the set for HD and DVD but could not consider it because of room size.

I had both in my house at the same time, along with the Pioneer Elite and I ultimately got the Hitachi because the analog on the Mitsubishi was so poor that I just could not tolerate it. Prior Mitsu's were much better, and it just seriously stretched the people, make them clearly squatty and had digital grain all around the shapes, and I had technicians come out, and whether it was dish or cable did not matter, and that and the thing where on the Mitsubishi you cannot use the split picture with a digital picture on either side, because I watch allot of sports and we are talking 33 inch dual pictures, and since analog sucked that meant you could never use the side by side on the Mitsu.

If you don't care about analog or that feature, then I found the Mitsubishi far superior in HD an dDVD then anything out there, and it wasn't even close. If the new 65 with the 9 inch guns corrects that analog problem and looks even better again, I may have to step up and get that puppy because it was so superior at everything else. Another frustrating thing is the Mitsu's prior to the one's with the decoders built in had no analpg problems, in fact they looked 3 years ago, as good as my Hitachi does now, and so it isnt that they aren't capable of doing it, but appears instead that they simply were looking to cut cost and the analog side was where they did it. I know they took a serious hit where I live in sales last year and analog was teh reason, because the largest seller in the 3 states around me is in Houston and their numbers went way down and they sited that prior to last year they were all bad in analog for the most part and they were so much better in HD, people just tolerated it, but they got worse the last 2 years, and everyone else got closer in HD and much better in analog, so people would love teh HD, but then could not get over the analog and would do what I did, which was buy my second choice in HD, just to get analog. You could use a scalar to handle the analog, but if you are really set on a 73, there isn't really a competitor to that set, and I think that 73 is even better yet in HD all the others out there. It also has close to 40 percent more viewing area to a 65, which is so lifelike when you watch film.

Lastly, if they are putting 9 inch guns in the 65, are they doing something to make the 73 even better again? I would think so because that is their flagship and has always been way ahead of all the others. I can't even imagine how good that 65 will look with 9 inch guns, when they make so much larger 73 look better today.

My dealer did tell me that next year the 73 was going to have what the 712 Diamond plus in the 65 did this year with the awesome cabinet and the .52 pitch screen over the .73 or whatever that is now, and that should make quite a difference on imaging detail, because with .73 and those 9 inch guns, if they change nothing else, there has to be added detail the screen they currently have cannot image from those guns.

·
Registered
478 Posts
True, I meant non-cosmetic differences between the 65813 and 73713. :)

The physical dimensions on the 711 and 713 are identical, so the screen dimensions will be a match. They would not say what the "solution" would be, but I suspect that it will simply be a Mitsu "supported" change-out of the screen, rather than doing it on the sly.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by uzun
You said the 73 wont' even display 720p? I have seen it, and while it takes it to 1080i just like the rest of the Mitsu's, it does display it. The mitsu also does a very good job of making it look much better then most do when in non 720p

I also am interested in DVI because Mitsu has always sworn against that in favor of their HAVI thing,and I had not heard they had gotten over that. Where did you hear that? You said for this guy to move down, but that isn't fair because both are the top of the line, so he should look at those but just be prepared to pay more for 9 inch guns and a bigger set, but he should not look at less then their best because Hitachi doesn't make one.

Home Theater in Houston has one on display, and it looks just great. You have got me curious on this non 720p even displayed thing because I have seen ABC football on that set, and so when they are showing a game on Monday night isn't that always 720p? I get confused on that because my Hitachi always says 720p on ABC, yet they dont' do that all the time, so what are they really broadcasting when not 720p in HD? Why does it fool my tv to say it is when it really isn't?

If the 73 inch won't even display 720p then that would stink, but when I tried the 65 in my house last year, it was so much better in HD then anything else that even when you went to the ABC football game, it looked better in just digital then most sets looked in 1080i, which really freaked me out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.