AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Mitsubishi Press Release here mentions MonitorLink(TM) on all new HDTV sets to be released this fall.

People who have seen this MonitorLink(TM) say it looks very much like a DVI/HDCP input. Does this mean that Mitsubishi is finally supporting DVI as well as Firewire.

There is another thread here pertaining to the Promise Module without this MonitorLink(TM) connection.

I purchased a Promise Module for over $1,000 including shipping and tax. I wonder if I wasted my money since my Promise Module does not have this MonitorLink(TM) connection.

I eventually want to purchase a DISH Network HD-PVR921 with dual satellite tuners and OTA 8VSB receiver so I can watch one HDTV program and record another for time shifting. Such as watch an HBO movie while recording a Showtime movie for later watching in HDTV. I also own a Mitsubishi HD Digital VCR and I can record OTA HDTV via the firewire on my Promise Module and the internal 8VSB OTA receiver.

Some people on the other thread
here say the DISH 211 will satisfy this because it has firewire. However as I understand it the DISH 211 will not be a dual satellite tuner and will not be a High Definition PVR. So the 211 will not do what I want.

I wish we could find out for sure if the MonitorLink(TN) connector is in fact a DVI/HDCP interface.

In the other thread I posted that it might have been better to save my $1,000 and put it with another $2,299 and purchase a new integrated WS-55513 for $3,299. The new set would have all the improvements of the Promise Module, the New NetCommand(TM) which also controls analog devices and other upgrades. Also I would have a brand new set. My WS-55805 will be four years old in October.

I have sent messages to Mitsubishi on their contact us page on their website and an email to:

Mitsubishi Electric News Bureau

Cayce Blanchard, 714/229-3837

E-mail: [email protected]

Cayce Blanchard replied that she is forwarding my comments to the appropriate people in Mitsubishi.

I hope we get some discussion on this thread about what the MonitorLink(TM) is and what it is not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mike aka Hot

I also e-mailed Mitsubishi concerning their recent product announcement and their apparent complete reversal in company policy regarding DVI or MonitorLink. My ws-65907 is only 2 years old so I will not be buying a new one any time soon. Prior to purchasing the Promise Module I repeatedly questioned about DVI and repeatedly was told that Mitsubishi would not be supporting it. Even AFTER the cable agreement in December 2002, I was told that Mitsubishi would not be supporting DVI and that IEEE 1394 was Mitsubishi's direction. Well you can see how accurate that information was.

Unless Mitsubishi has a DVI-IEEE 1394 converter for all the Promise Module users, I feel that they should modify the Promise Module to accept the new port (MonitorLink or DVI). I feel that there was some misrepresentation on the part of Mitsubishi concerning the the DVI (MonitorLink) issue and the Promise Module. How many Promise Modules would have been sold if Mitsubishi said:

"Our new 2004 TV line includes a MonitorLink (?DVI?) connector in addition to IEEE 1394 but we didn't include in the Promise Module because in our original "Promise" we only said that we would include IEEE 1394???"

I think that the first thing we must do is get clarification from Mitsubishi of the following questions:

1. Exactly what is MonitorLink? Is it a modification of DVI? Will it accept the DVI input from satellite receivers, pvr921 etc??

2. How does Mitsubishi expect to enable Promise Module users to receive DVI input from HD-DVD, PVR, satellite etc??? Upgrade? Converter? Are integrated set owners left high and dry??

3. If there is no plan to have a modification, or converter, why didn't they include it in the first place??? I waited almost 2 yrs, I could have waited a little longer to get it right.

4. If they have no options for us, don't they think that their actions smack of deception, misrepresentation, and possibly fraud.

I'm waiting to get a response from Mitsubishi. Let me know what they tell you. I hope I hear that there is either a hardware upgrade to the Promise Module or a DVI to IEEE 1394 converter.

I hope that I DON'T hear any of the following:

"We never promised you DVI"

"MonitorLink is a modification of DVI so therefore we were not lying to you when we said that we would never support DVI"

"We never forced you to buy the Promise Module"

"You knew that the Promise Module did not support DVI when you bought it"

Let's see what Mitsubishi says about MonitorLink

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
This is a very interesting turn of events and surely should come under the "near term" clause of the original "Mitsubishi Promise." Also, keep in mind that the original promise did not say anything about firewire and basically said Mits would build a module to allow your TV to display any standard that was decided upon in the future.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you Lee L.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee L
Also, keep in mind that the original promise did not say anything about firewire and basically said Mits would build a module to allow your TV to display any standard that was decided upon in the future.
Sorry, this is incorrect. Not only does Mits. "say something" about firewire they are quite clear and specify exactly what the promise upgrade includes. Here is applicable portion of the "Promise":
Quote:
Specifically, we promise that you will be able to have your television upgraded, at a reasonable cost, to include an off-air HDTV tuner, a cable TV tuner (for unscrambled programming), an IEEE 1394 (FireWire®) connection, HAVi system control, and 5C copy protection.
Jay

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Peterson
Twice has a good article where they discuss this. I put a pointer to the article in this thread .
Good article. Thanks for the link. Here is the part that is relevant to this thread:
Quote:
In addition, he said that because the digital cable agreement appears to be nearing government adoption, Mitsubishi has ended its moratorium on the use of Digital Visual Interface (DVI-HDCP) inputs, and is including them on most models in the 2003-04 line.

The company’s new MonitorLink connection, available on all new Mitsubishi HD-monitors, uses both a DVI-HDCP connector and an RS-232 control to enable displays connected to the new HD-5000 set-top box to operate like Mitsubishi’s fully integrated HDTV sets.

Perry said Mitsubishi’s chief concern with DVI was that it would have enabled content producers and program distributors to restrict programming to some early HDTV adopters through selectable output controls. That has been prohibited under the pending cable agreement.
Jay

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
Sorry, this is incorrect. Not only does Mits. "say something" about firewire they are quite clear and specify exactly what the promise upgrade includes. Here is applicable portion of the "Promise":

Jay
What you are saying might apply to upgradeable sets made after 2000. In 1999 the promise was to bring your set up to the latest standards which now includes DVI/HDCP. So Mitsubishi has to find a way to upgrade the Promise Module.

It is unconscionable that Mitsubishi would release a product like the PM a few months before totally reversing their opposition to DVI/DTCP.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot
What you are saying might apply to upgradeable sets made after 2000. In 1999 the promise was to bring your set up to the latest standards which now includes DVI/HDCP. So Mitsubishi has to find a way to upgrade the Promise Module.
I bought my Mits. TV a little over 2 years ago and the "promise" that was in effect was the one I stated above. I didn't know that they had changed the language in their "promise" statement. Do you have a copy of or link to the older "promise" statement that you are referring to? I would think that if you had a copy of that "promise" and you could demonstrate that the use of your set was significantly restricted without a DVI input then they would have broken their "promise".

Personally I'm not very worried. I don't think I'm going to miss out on anything (at least for the next 5 years) using my plain old analog component inputs. There are just too many non-DVI equipped sets out there for manufacturers to ignore. They cannot make any money selling new DVI only devices when there would be so few potential buyers. Most people are not going to sell their muti-thousand dollar TV just to be compatible with some new toy. By the time it would be required (if ever) to have a DVI equipped TV the price will have dropped substantially. I spent approx. $3000 for my TV 2 years ago. By the time I would need a new one it would probably cost about $1500 to $2000 at the most for a comparable set. If I had big bucks invested in a 73" Mits. I would probably be more concerned about the potential future incompatablilties issue. Hopefully Mits. will the "do the right thing" if or when it becomes necessary. For now I know of no reason why anyone "needs" a DVI input (or any digital input for that matter) on a Mits. TV. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm with Jay on this - I find the discussions about the subject and recent actions by Mits interesting, but I'm not worried that mine doesn't have DVI or Firewire (I didn't buy a PM, I can't get excited about tape). For now, I'm recording OTA with a HiPix and HTPC hidden behind the TV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.