AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one seen the Mitsubishi Alpha TV after calibration? If so how would it hold up to the Sony Qualia?

We are trying to decide between the two for a new media room. The 82 inches of the Alpha is appealing. I want to know what the set looks like after it's calibrated if anyone can comment.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasnett
Has any one seen the Mitsubishi Alpha TV after calibration? If so how would it hold up to the Sony Qualia?

We are trying to decide between the two for a new media room. The 82 inches of the Alpha is appealing. I want to know what the set looks like after it's calibrated if anyone can comment.
I saw the Mits and don't know how calibrated it was but it was nothing at

all like the Qualia... Picture looked all washed out kind of like a JVC D-ILA RP...

·
Banned
346 Posts
The Mitsu is using a 1080p LCOs chip designed nearly 3 years ago. When properly calibrated it can produce a very nice picture, but the black level can't touch a Qualia 006. If you have money to burn and can stomach being gouged as an early adopter go with the 006. If you can wait about 4-6 months, wait to see the the new superior JVC 1080p. They were the best at CES last year and now have even been improved sinced then with over 5000:1 contrast ratio. Best of all the 70" model is expected to street at half the price of a 006. If that is still out of your budget, LG will release a 71" LCoS set and Hitachi will release a 70" later this year for around 4-5K street.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasnett

Don't get a microdisplay :mad:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I'm with Auditor, if you want a set now, get a Mitsubishi 73" CRT-RPTV. It is better than both of them. Also a 1080i Sony HC1 HD camcorder looks stunning on it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I'm with Auditor, if you want a set now, get a Mitsubishi 73" CRT-RPTV. It is better than both of them. Also a 1080i Sony HC1 HD camcorder looks stunning on it.
As a previous owner of a calibrated 73713 Mitsubishi, and now a Qualia 006 (uncalibrated at this time) I can tell you that IMO, the Qualia is a much nicer display.

The black level was somewhat better on the Mits, but that was it. The Qualia bests it in every other area.

Rick

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
You're always with auditor. I just can't figure out who is the shadow and who is the blockage. If anybody wants an objective assessment of PQ and HD technology, you are the last 2 I would recommend to go to. :p

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr
It is no contest between the Alpha and the Qualia 006. The Qualia is currently king.
Umr you know as well as I do that the Qualia suffers from silk screen effect. While that is not as bad as SDE, it still can be distracting. When I look at the Qualia I'm just not as blown away as other are, while noticeably better looking than current DLP's and LCD's, although in my opinion not by much, it still looks like a microdisplay to me, which is a digital or a kind of enhanced look, its doesn't look like real life a much as a CRT.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf1
You're always with auditor. I just can't figure out who is the shadow and who is the blockage. If anybody wants an objective assessment of PQ and HD technology, you are the last 2 I would recommend to go to. :p
To quote Artwood, " I think you might be an industry plant". ;)

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickE
As a previous owner of a calibrated 73713 Mitsubishi, and now a Qualia 006 (uncalibrated at this time) I can tell you that IMO, the Qualia is a much nicer display.

The black level was somewhat better on the Mits, but that was it. The Qualia bests it in every other area.

Rick
If the blacks are inferior it can't beat CRT, period. You might be suffering from microdisplay-itis. :eek:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
To quote Artwood, " I think you might be an industry plant". ;)
Nope, although I am a consultant in the audio industry.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Let's see, the Qualia is only showing about 1280x1080 through its component input and since it can't display any more resolution than a Mits due to broadcast HD's limitation and it falls down in every other area- contrast ratio, blacks, shadow detail, sharpness, color rendition, compared to CRT except unneeded extra brightness. Then how is a Mits not a valid option? Plus you can take off the glare/reflections "protective screen". RickE I'd say there was something not right with your 73713 because it is what I have and I much prefer it to a Qualia, but then to each his own. And Paul you're the last person I would recommend people go to, so there :p Some Qualians take offense that other people don't consider it the best.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Can you imagine how the Qualians might act if another microdisplay was announced as the best. I would keep a close watch near bridges, tall buildings, and cliffs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Quote:
Let's see, the Qualia is only showing about 1280x1080 through its component input
Where did this come from? The Qualia is definatly capable of more than 1280 x1080 through it's component input.

I watch HD through the component input from my c-band satellite system and I can guarantee you that the resolution is higher than 1280 x 1080, and it definatly shows more detail than my calibrated 73717 did.

Rick

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickE
Where did this come from? The Qualia is definatly capable of more than 1280 x1080 through it's component input.

I watch HD through the component input from my c-band satellite system and I can guarantee you that the resolution is higher than 1280 x 1080, and it definatly shows more detail than my calibrated 73717 did.

Rick

I believe Umr wrote that in his bench testing and review of the Sony Qualia 006.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Let's see, the Qualia is only showing about 1280x1080 through its component input and since it can't display any more resolution than a Mits due to broadcast HD's limitation and it falls down in every other area- contrast ratio, blacks, shadow detail, sharpness, color rendition, compared to CRT except unneeded extra brightness. Then how is a Mits not a valid option? Plus you can take off the glare/reflections "protective screen". RickE I'd say there was something not right with your 73713 because it is what I have and I much prefer it to a Qualia, but then to each his own. And Paul you're the last person I would recommend people go to, so there :p Some Qualians take offense that other people don't consider it the best.
And also Silk Screen Effect. :eek:

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Bill said:
Let's see, the Qualia is only showing about 1280x1080 through its component input and since it can't display any more resolution than a Mits due to broadcast HD's limitation and it falls down in every other area- contrast ratio, blacks, shadow detail, sharpness, color rendition, compared to CRT except unneeded extra brightness. QUOTE]

And also Silk Screen Effect. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.