AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Mitsubishi WS-48511, which I feel is great, but I really have a bee in my bonnet to be able to play DVDs via the Firewire connection. Apparently Mitsubishi uses a new protocol called HAVi (havi.org), which, of course, no products are currently made using this protocol other than Mits. What I would like to do if possible would be to use a Firewire DVD-Rom drive plugged directly into the Firewire connection on the TV, but I'm sure the drive's firmware would have to be completely changed to do this. Has anybody looked into anything like this?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
HAVi is as close to a standard as there is for IEEE-1394 protocol. Anyway, I don't see exactly what the benefit of the FireWire connection would be in this case, except that it's one cable instead of three (assuming the alternative is component). You're just moving the location of the MPEG decoding and D/A conversion.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There are no DVD Players with Firewire, with or without Havi. Someone might be able to come up with a HTPC that might act as a Firewire DVD player, but it would take more than just a ROM change on a DVD-ROM drive to do what you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>There are no DVD Players with Firewire, with or without >Havi. Someone might be able to come up with a HTPC >that might act as a Firewire DVD player, but it would >take more than just a ROM change on a DVD-ROM drive >to do what you need.

I believe if you read my original post correctly, you will see that it says "Firewire DVD-Rom drive" not "DVD player with Firewire". Perhaps you could ask Cupertino Fats?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.