AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a burning plastic smell and the Lamp Abormality code, took apart the lamp cage to find this.

To preface, I got the TV for free on CList in this condition.

Any ideas on what casued this or how to fix it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle /forum/post/20876155

Why a whole new lamp? Can I not rewire it?

You got the set for free and since you don't know what the cause was, what wire to use, it would be wise to buy a new lamp.

The lamp may be defective and I would check the fan also.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle /forum/post/20875875

Got a burning plastic smell and the Lamp Abormality code, took apart the lamp cage to find this.

To preface, I got the TV for free on CList in this condition.

Any ideas on what casued this or how to fix it.

Thanks

(clipped image)

You haven't said if the connector inside the tv that mates with the lamp connector survived. Does it look unburned, clean and usable?

That wire is HV silicone wire, it's hard to get. To fire the lamp the ballast uses 2500-3500V, to run the lamp ~350V. It's difficult to splice so you end up with something safe. Don't burn down your house.

If you splice, you are cutting off the mating connector inside the tv, and if you ever want to put it back right that means buying a new ballast.

You can't always tell if your lamp is good just by looking at it, a four-year old bad lamp can look the same as a new one. It's an arc lamp so you can't test for continuity. It's quite possible that this tv worked until the lamp died and you are the first to see the burned connector.

Buy a new lamp with housing. Go for a Mits OEM (NOT 'OEM-compatible'!!!) or Philips.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle /forum/post/20879203

Well I ended having enough slack to mate the silicon wire to the leads from the balast.

Been watching tv on it for about 5 hours straight with out any issue.

Could i be in the clear???

More than once has it been recommended you purchase a new lamp. But you decide to reuse a lamp housing that looks like it could start a fire. Then you ask "Could I be in the clear?".....you let us know if and when it starts a fire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.