AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted in the 642/742/842 owner's thread about this but haven't found a solution for it. The problem happens when viewing a high contrast image toward the top half of the screen... the light seems to bleed through from a light object into the surrounding black areas. This is especially evident when watching letterbox movies, as the light from the movie bleeds through into the black bar above the picture. I've had 3 DLPs over the last few years, and my last two exhibited this problem to a much lower degree.. the problem is greatly amplified in my newest WD73642 DLP. It's really bad and I've tried to resolve it by putting duvatyne tape on all of the reflective surfaces inside the TV but the problem didn't go away.

I'm looking for anyone who's been able to get this resolved by either making some modifications to the TV or by covering up some surfaces inside the TV... even if I can't resolve the issue, I'd like to at least alleviate it so it's not so noticeable.

The problem is documented further in these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1139317/mitsubishi-wd-73835-light-bleeding
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95325

This is a good example of what the problem looks like... notice the white halo around the top square:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately this isn't the same issue. The link you posted is for cleaning the lens after a gradual buildup of dust causes halos around the entire area of the screen. The issue I'm referring to only affects the top area of the screen and is evident on brand-new Mitsu DLPs with clean lenses.

·
Registered
16,790 Posts
Sorry. I have no idea, first I have heard of it. Something in the optical path?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure... I heard people mentioning it was reflections inside the TV. I was able to alleviate the problem by changing the Picture mode to Natural with a low color temperature to reduce the brightness. The problem is absolutely still there, but a little less noticeable. I can't believe this hasn't been addressed in some way or that someone hasn't found a fix for it. Could be one of the reasons Mitsubishi discontinued this line of TVs...

·
Registered
16,790 Posts
That screen shot isn't the right example. Can you post more shots with different material? A checkerboard pattern might show better. What you posted only tells me it needs a lens cleaning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.