AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got a different hdmi cable between my projector and cable box. I went from a 30awg to a 28awg and the difference is -NIGHT- and -DAY-. Both are around 6 feet.

the 28awg is so much smoother at 1080i and the colors and contrast are very much better. Both cables were free! I just bought a 24awg and hoping it will get even better. I could be wrong, however, with this cable, my mitsu looks just as good as a sony $4000.00 projector.

Anybody else have similiar experience? Will i see as big of a difference with the 24awg cable? What do other people use.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong about this but since this is a digital signal does it really make a difference in perceived levels of quality? What I mean is, isnt it more like it will work or wont work, not that it looks a little better because of the thickness of the cables?. And at 6 feet switching from 30 to 28 shouldnt really make a difference at all ?

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
The gauge only matters when distance is an issue. You need a lower gauge for longer runs. If they are the exact same cable from the same manufacterer with the same build quality and sheilding then at 6ft going from 30 to 28 should not make any difference.

If they are different cables then it could be an issue with the sheilding or build quality of the first cable.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Sorry to threadjack, but could you tell me what the info screen shows as the software version of your 1500? Does it say HC1500 or does it say HD1000?

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's just transmitting 1's and 0's if they don't make it, it doesn't work.....that's why quality should be the same provided the signal makes it, over longer runs the larger gauge will improve the chances of all the 1's and 0's making it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it's the 1500 projector. They are different manufacturers. 30AWG vs. 28AWG; i am definitely seeing an improvement. with 30awg, 720p looked better than 1080i; more smoother, etc. with 28awg, 720p looks terrible; same as it did with 30awg but maybe a little better. 1080i is incredible....very smooth, colorful picture. Just hoping the calbe i bought from monoprice 24awg is going to be better than anything! We'll see. Don't know if the 30awg is just a bad cable, etc. but there was definitely a difference and even going from a 28awg to 28awg cable; 6 feet i saw a difference. the new cable is much more 3d like and less noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts