AVS Forum banner

How has your hc3800 been for you?

• Purchased Jan 2010 or later, and I had shutdowns, exchanged it, and now it works fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purchased Jan 2010 or later, I had OTHER issues (not shutdowns), exchanged it, and now it works fine

• Purchased Jan 2010 or later and > 50 hrs Usage, have had ZERO ISSUES (YES - HDMI switch)

• Purchased Jan 2010 or later and > 50 hrs Usage, have had ZERO ISSUES (NO HDMI Switch)

• Purchased Jan 2010 or later, had Shutdowns (YES - HDMI switch)

• Purchased Jan 2010 or later, had shutdowns (NO HDMI Switch)

• Purchased BEFORE Dec 2009, had shutdowns, exchanged it, and new unit works fine, HDMI or not.

• Purchased BEFORE Dec 2009, and have ZERO ISSUES (YES - HDMI switch)

• Purchased BEFORE Dec 2009, and have ZERO ISSUES (NO HDMI Switch)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please read ALL the options CAREFULLY BEFORE voting and then vote to what fits you best.

Please also post a generalization of your experience after you vote, similar to what Bilblbofet has posted in the first post below.

If the POLL does not well represent your situation, then please ONLY POST INSTEAD of VOTING and explain your hc3800 experience.

Please do NOT CLUTTER the thread with hc3800 questions or general issues (use link below for that), only post related info on your hc3800 experiences.

Other Thread for hc3800 Issues, Questions, etc...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...100&highlight=

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to add one poll result, so if you fit the below option instead of any of the above, just post to this thread and let us know.

OTHER - If you DID have shutdowns, purchased the hc3800 on any date, but FIXED the shutdown issue WITHOUT returning the projector,

(such as by buying a different HDMI switch or changing your cabling or devices)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: For people that purchased their projectors during December 2009, please explain your situation to us BEFORE voting and wait for my recommendation on how to vote, as Dec '09 purchases are subjective because this was during recalled shipments.

·
Registered
670 Posts
So far I am in love with my HC3800.

- no shutdowns with about 10 hrs on it

- sharp, saturated, good blacks, amazing shadow detail

- about the same as the HD1000 as far as operating volume

- Bright

- struggles a bit when grabbing a new signal

- I had the vertical lines show up during a blu ray movie so I switch hdmi length to 25m in the service menu. didn't happen after that

- bigger than I thought

- a significant and noticed on every level improvement over my 720p unit

- I wasn't crazy about the design of the unit, but it actually looks pretty badass ceiling mounted

Overall, the image this produces has exceeded all my expectations.

·
Registered
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info Bilbo, thx, everyone else let's get the voting going

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
You left out my situation.

purchased in January (firmware v3; sn > 5000)

had shutdowns

found workarounds (changed cable length setting; use only 1080p/60 and 480i/60 input signals)

have no further shutdowns

·
Registered
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18216140

You left out my situation.

purchased in January (firmware v3; sn > 5000)

had shutdowns

found workarounds (changed cable length setting; use only 1080p/60 and 480i/60 input signals)

have no further shutdowns

Yes I did on accident, but for anyone with the "OTHER" issues, I will go through the posts, track it manually, and then later create a nice 3D Excel charting everything correctly, and your input will be added.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Purchased a couple of weeks ago, 35 hours in and no shutdown problems.

I'm only outputting 720p/1080i/p (HTPC, Xbox 360 & PS3) so no SD signal straight to the projector.

PS3 dosen't like my cheap HDMI switch at 1080p, 1080i works fine, changing cable length settings gets an image at 1080p but it's full of green dots. PS3 straight to projector has no issues.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiltman /forum/post/18217569

What is the significance of the BEFORE December. I actually purchased IN December, still want me to use that one?

Probably another factor not considered is the effect of country you're in. Europe is on the PAL format, PJ's are different usually. Australia, not sure what format is there?

So, it might be helpful if people out of the N. American area post any shutdown issues----can't remember if anyone has in the main HC3800 thread...?

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman /forum/post/18217623

Probably another factor not considered is the effect of country you're in. Europe is on the PAL format, PJ's are different usually. Australia, not sure what format is there?

So, it might be helpful if people out of the N. American area post any shutdown issues----can't remember if anyone has in the main HC3800 thread...?

Its PAL but I dont think it matters much any more does it? I mean all these projectors do PAL or NTSC and autoswitch to suit the source. I am using a US Blu-ray player......

·
Registered
5,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiltman /forum/post/18217995

Its PAL but I dont think it matters much any more does it? I mean all these projectors do PAL or NTSC and autoswitch to suit the source. I am using a US Blu-ray player......

I'm not sure.

It certainly isn't like the days when they had 576 pixel chips projectors designed to work best with PAL.

But besides resolution and voltage differences, many PJ's do seem to have different firmware, etc. dependent on what country they're sold in. I've read many threads on PJ's that had problems in Europe, but not on the N. American sold ones, and vice versa.

·
Registered
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by btiltman /forum/post/18217569

What is the significance of the BEFORE December. I actually purchased IN December, still want me to use that one?

If you have a good unit with Firmware 3 or later, you can go ahead and use the Jan 2010 purchase date, since you probably got a post fixed one anyhow.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet /forum/post/18215613

So far I am in love with my HC3800.

- I had the vertical lines show up during a blu ray movie so I switch hdmi length to 25m in the service menu. didn't happen after that

the menu has a setting for 25 meters not feet? if thats the case, I shouldnt be so worried about running a 50ft HDMI cable.

·
Registered
15,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't mean to be picky, but please let's keep this thread talking only about the relevant good or bad units, minimize the talk about the general issues with the hc3800, the other stuff goes in the other thread as below:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...100&highlight=

That means most people should only have 1-2 posts in here about their specific projectors, unless they are responding to someone elses experience in a brief manner. Sorry, but if we start posting questions in here this thread will become 50+ pages very quickly and I will not be able to analyze the data of people's experiences once all is said and done, it will make my job very difficult.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT

People that vote should also post a detailed overview of how their setup went and how their PJ is

doing to this point and what other issues they may have had.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My situation doesn't fit into poll categories so:

Purchased before Dec 09, firmware ver 1, serial number in 1000 range, had other issues (several display breakups while watching Blue Ray @ 24p HDMI), used less than 4 hours; then returned (no exchange; rainbow sensitive plus firmware concern plus noted breakups)

Update - I think this poll is seriously flawed. As indicated above my first situation detailed above involved a return and there are no applicable choices in the poll. And now I have received a second unit from a different vendor; and that situation also does not fit into any of the poll categories so listing it below

No problems at all - but only 2 hours on the pj

S/N 3205 Software 3.00, SW V Suff 1.00, SW V DDP 0.13

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I got one of the early 3 series projectors in December, but didn't use it until January. So far, around 100 hours.

It works flawlessly with one exception, I get random breakups on bbc discs. So far it's only bbc blu-ray discs, I've probably played 40 bd discs in total. I haven't tried the bbc discs with another bd player, so I can't say that it is the projector (panasonic bdp 60). I thought the problem was only on a uk version of "Life", but I see it on other discs, "Yellowstone" (from Netflix) and "Planet Earth" (purchased).

The only real problem with this projector is that it shows how lousy some hdtv signals are. Low bitrate fast moving pictures look terrible at 106". I do not blame Mitsubishi for that.

I am sending everything to my Yamaha receiver, tv gets upconverted from component, everything else is hdmi. Then it goes to a simple monoprice a/b switch that I modified to be one in, 2 out. That goes to the projector via a 30' monoprice hdmi cable. This is the same setup I used with my old projector, an Optoma HD 70.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm not here in this section (nor the HC3800 thread) very frequent now so just updating this thread.

170 hours now with ZERO issues and long weekend sessions (8-10 hours). Bulb in low mode.

HDMI sources incl XBox360, HTPC and DishHD box switched by my Pioneer VSX1010 receiver.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm using an Onkyo 607 as the HDMI switcher and so far no problems switching between a PS3 and Digital TV, though, switching causes the 3800 to blue screen and color wheel (I'm guessing) slows down/changes speed for a second or two before the display is back on...

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
I have a switcher for hdmi with PC, cable box, blu-ray hooked up. I also have a receiver with Wii and Xbox hooked up through component.

My son is having problems with certain Xbox component games. When scenes change, and mostly when there is text involved--especially on older games, but not always--the HC3800 loses sync and the image goes crazy--the image restores when he leaves that scene.

I had lots of hdmi cable/switcher sync issues, but changing the cable length in the HC3800 setup and also trying different cables helped solve that. Interesting that not all were solved with new cables of same length. The blu-ray works best with a two-year old 6 foot cable going to the switcher. The PC and cable box work best with new 3 foot cables. There is also a 20 foot 22awg cable going from switcher to the projector. The cable length selected in setup is 2 meter, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Purchased mine December 2009, so far:

-Past 150 hrs

-Serial No 5xx00 Firmware V 3.0

-Not one shut down

-No color shift, at least when I started to look for it around 50 hrs

-Great colors, good blacks, and very sharp

-Not exactly quiet, but I don't really hear it when watching a movie, even less playing with my Xbox 360 (that thing its loud)

-Every thing is connected via HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V465 receiver

-I am using a cheap 30ft HDMI from receiver to HC-3800

-It did loose sync for a second when the blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S350) changed from 1080p/60 to 1080p/24, and you can hear the color wheel changing speed, I fixed that by setting the blu ray to output always the same frame rate

I found this forum doing research before I purchased my projector I haven't been posting here much because I been busy enjoying my pj, I took a huge gamble with the HC-3800 because I bought it on a trip to the US, I live in Mexico and never regret it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts