AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? How does the Mitsubishi HC4000 compare to the Epson 8350? Figuring in the 3010 with the new D9 panels will be better, what do you think will work better?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, how would the picture quality compare on a 46" Panasonic G15 to a Mitsubishi HC4000? I'm going to replace my bedroom TV.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd be interested in this comparison as well for the HC4000 to the Epson 3010 and the Optoma HD33. These currently are in my list as well.

Are you very interested in getting 3D or at least have that feature just in case?

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Art compares them somewhat in his Optoma HD33 review, but he doesn't have a lot of info yet on the Epson 3010.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd33/image.php

Pretty much it's going to come down to the Epson 3010 vs. the Mits hc4000 if you are talking about 2d Quality. The new Epson's have 480hz D9 LCD panels, so who knows how this affected contrast when they re-designed the projector.

My feeling is the Mits hc4000 is still likely to trump all three of them except it doesn't have 3D obviously, but that is just a guess and is yet to be seen. So the Epson 3010 could make it really close as I suspect Epson has hopefully un-nerf'd the 3010's IRIS at least a little (I hope). The Epson 8350's IRIS was so nerf'd that it really didn't help very much except on almost pitch black, Epson seemed to do that so that the 8350 wouldn't get too close to 8700ub in dynamic contrast. The 8350 was also nerf'd in native contrast compared to other more expensive LCD's.

There is also the Epson 3010e.

Hopefully the new Epson 3010 will be a big leap forward compared to the Epson 8350.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find Xtreamer Sidewinder 2 's HDMI cannnot sync to HC4000 by 1080p/50Hz and 60Hz by using 1M High quality Cable. If I use other Set top box rather than Xtreamer, 1080p running on 12m HDMI is still ok.

When I connect this Xtreamer to Panasonic Plasma 46v20. All 1080p is ok.

I find that there is a lot of HDMI compatibility problem on HC4000 in internet, even they have changed the HDMI length to 10-20m in HC4000 on maintenance mode.

The conclusion is that you may have 1080p problem on HC4000. But, it is not a must. All depends on what media player that you have.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The HC4000 will trump 8350 easily. 8350's only strength would be brightness and lens shift, thats all.... but if you don't need those then its toast up against the 4000

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Early reports on the D9 LCD panels appear to have a 25% to 50% increase in native contrast or possibly more depending on the specific PJ, and the newer Epsons are said to be a tad bit sharper, this is big. The Epson 5010 (the more expensive model) could theoretically now be as sharp as a DLP (although only a small chance), as the 5010 has a new feature that Epson is calling motorized pixel alignment. We do not yet know if this is an actual motor that adjusts the panels, or if it is just a digital adjustment like Sony and JVC. We should know after the first official review.

Even without the pixel alignment feature, if the 3010 does not suffer from an overly nerf job, it could give the hc4000 a real run for the money, but it is yet to be seen.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/20942642

Early reports on the D9 LCD panels appear to have a 25% to 50% increase in native contrast or possibly more depending on the specific PJ, and the newer Epsons are said to be a tad bit sharper, this is big.

Hi coderguy

Is your view that the D9 panels have more native contrast something you have been told, or is this something someone has observed? Also, I am trying to understand whether Epson themselves have build their panels with a different process (like TI do with DLP for darkchip 2 and 3) or whether Epson just grade whatever panels come off the process and then label these (just like Intel will do with the speed of their CPUs within a given series).

Back here in UK, we have the Epson TW3200 and TW3600. These have dynamic contrasts of 25,000 and 50,000 respectively. There seems to have been much debate about whether these differences are an the panels or in the behaviour of the iris only. Or indeed any difference at all :)

Any insights or thoughts appreciated.

John

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
It is simply an estimation based on several factors.

It's not based on actual meter measurements yet, but we'll have some soon enough.

1) What two people saw by eye when comparing the Panny 7000 to the Panny 4000. To see any visible increase in contrast, it generally needs to be at least 25% higher.

2) Based on the past generational improvements of LCD panels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts