AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one of these two projectors is a better buy,Mitsubishi HC6800 for $1665.00 or Benq W6000 for 1899.00? both brand new and price includes shipping.

my room is 16.5' x 10', screen 120" 2.35, not light controlled room, lot of windows, light brown colored walls, white ceiling.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Benq

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not really comparing apples to apples here... The mits has a more classic natural film like image, with motorized lens shift/zoom/focus, while the benq is a very bright typical DLP image, with manual shift/zoom/focus... The benq will best suit your current conditions as is, however any projected image will benefit from light control, even a light cannon like the benq... If you are unable or unwilling to address the light control, then the benq

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well I think the BenQ W6000 would be a better bet for a few reasons:

1) The extra lumens of 2500 compared to the Mitsubishi's 1500 will make a clear difference in your setting with your 'lots of windows' scenario. A brighter projector in a setting where you do not have fully control over the light exposure is always useful and you may find extremely helpful. You may always use eco-mode for less lumen output and also to save lamp hours when you find the lumens to be over whelming

2) DLP vs. LCD many will argue that DLP in general has a better pop effect due to richer saturation levels and being able to see deeper blacks compared to LCD. This will give your image a more 'lively' feel a slight bit of a 3D feel compared to the flatness of LCD

3) Dust issues may arise with LCD models as they are more prone to dust, while DLP's are built differently and therefore require less cleaning and maintenance. So if you live in a moderately dusty or dusty environment it's something to consider. ALSO, if you are smoking indoors, LCD's will be an issue. Actually smoking indoors is not adviced for both DLP and LCDs.

4) Comparing the W6000 with the HC6800 you can also clearly see a difference in contrast ratio differences. The W6000 carries 50000 while the HC6800 only has 30000

I'm sure others will agree that the W6000 would be a better choice out of these 2 as well.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Oh oh oh! May I ask from where and how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 /forum/post/19592617

I'm sure others will agree that the W6000 would be a better choice out of these 2 as well.

Nope.

To my eyes, w6000 flicker. (most apparent during pans but visible even on a static scene where the picture is "unstable")

A deal breaker for me!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Enthusiast
Nope.

To my eyes, w6000 flicker. (most apparent during pans but visible even on a static scene where the picture is "unstable")

A deal breaker for me!
W6000 flicker? Define flicker... I have never heard of someone describing seeing flickers....?! Sounds like something is wrong with the unit you were viewing, but do explain in more detail.

And what do you mean by "unstable" picture?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21
W6000 flicker? Define flicker... I have never heard of someone describing seeing flickers....?! Sounds like something is wrong with the unit you were viewing, but do explain in more detail.

And what do you mean by "unstable" picture?
The brightness varies and there is a little vibration in the image.

It's very subtle but I'm quite sensitive for these issues as well as issues managing movements (most visible during fast pans)

HD20 has similar issues.

I have seen this on 4 different W6000s and 5 different HD20s in different locations.

Some will state this is due to the color wheel but other DLPs as HC3800, A800B etc don't suffer from these issues described above

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:

It's very subtle but I'm quite sensitive for these issues as well as issues managing movements (most visible during fast pans)

HD20 has similar issues.

I have seen this on 4 different W6000s and 5 different HD20s in different locations.

Some will state this is due to the color wheel but other DLPs as HC3800, A800B etc don't suffer from these issues described above
Interesting, I have never heard or seen anything to what you're describing. Not saying I don't believe you, but as you said, it may be because you are quite sensitive to such issues. Perhaps they are details that goes unnoticed by the majority of people out there.

It does spark my curiosity. Will try to take a look at my buddy's 6000 and see if I can see that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:

HD20 has similar issues.

Are you talking about 24 fps film "judder"? If so, that is normal when film is played back at native 24hz, especially on camera pans. When you say "flicker" it implies you mean a temporary drop in lumens in between frames...not sure if that is what you meant.

I have the HD20 and I have never seen a flicker. Judder yes, on 24hz, next to none when I switch it to 60hz, but I actually prefer the judder for that cine-look of it, so I leave it on 24hz. To each their own.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21
it may be because you are quite sensitive to such issues. Perhaps they are details that goes unnoticed by the majority of people out there. .
Very likely yes.

My experience is, all projectors have issues. We as individuals consider different aspects important, so get the projector that suits YOU.

But please do NOT try looking for issues previously not seen. What if you after that cant stop seeing them afterwards?

Instead, I suggest focusing on enjoying the movie than focusing on picture errors.

Of that reason, the projector that makes me enjoy the movie is the better!

Sometimes you use a projector and all you can think of is an issue that totally kill the interest for the movie.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well said. I should not dig my own grave, instead appreciate my "wonderful" projection while it still stays aweing in my eyes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts