AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I haven't seen an HC6800 in person, but the reviews and the numbers indicate that it is going to be a very closer performer to the Pro8100. Many of the features and performance characteristics are quite similar. For instance, both are very sharp projectors, utilize the highest end HQV Reon processors, have respectable but not stellar black level performance, are similar in brightness, and calibrate extremely well. That said, it appears that OOTB color is probably better on the HC6800 as the Pro8100 tends to be oversaturated (easily fixable), but the HC6800 may not have as good as shadow detail as the Pro8100. The other big distinction at this point is price. The Pro8100 is severely discounted, because it is older and is being discontinued. I really like what I've read about the HC6800, but the Pro8100 is going to be the better value at half the price.

·
Registered
685 Posts
also, the 6800 uses D7 organic panels and the Pro8100 used D6 inorganic panels. Inorganic panels are supposed to last longer.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK /forum/post/18288150

also, the 6800 uses D7 organic panels and the Pro8100 used D6 inorganic panels. Inorganic panels are supposed to last longer.

should the fact that the 6800 uses organic panels a deal breaker?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wasn't for me. Even though the panels are organic (and are possibly the same ones used in the Epson 6100 and 8100) I'm confident they're much more sturdy and reliable than the ones found in older 720p projectors, made 5 plus years ago.

Absolutely love'n the 6800!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I wouldn't see the panels as a deal breaker, unless you're planning to keep the projector for more than 5 years. Organic panels are said to break down faster than inorganic, but no one really knows for sure how much faster.

What are your intended applications for the projector? Room size, mounting location, screen, lighting situation, etc.? Almost forgot, both are also going to be very quiet, so that is a non-issue. The HC6800 is going to have a smaller footprint though, if that is important. The Pro8100 is a beautiful behemoth of a projector though

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider /forum/post/18293074

I wouldn't see the panels as a deal breaker, unless you're planning to keep the projector for more than 5 years. Organic panels are said to break down faster than inorganic, but no one really knows for sure how much faster.

What are your intended applications for the projector? Room size, mounting location, screen, lighting situation, etc.? Almost forgot, both are also going to be very quiet, so that is a non-issue. The HC6800 is going to have a smaller footprint though, if that is important. The Pro8100 is a beautiful behemoth of a projector though

room is 15' lenght x 17' long x 8' ceilings

2 windows,but i can install dark curtains(mostly night movie watching anyway)

want to ceiling mount it .still open as far as screen

what do u think?

thanks

·
Registered
874 Posts
Both are fairly bright projectors and should be able to handle a fair amount of ambient light, although black levels will always suffer with ambient. Depending on whether you're looking at ceiling mounting or shelf mounting, the footprint may come into play, but I've seen both done, even with the added size of the Pro8100. Your room configuration will allow for a 120" screen (possibly bigger), which either projector could adequately fill relatively easily. Really, it looks like it's going to come down to a choice of personal preference versus cost. Have you had the opportunity to see either of the projectors?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider /forum/post/18294609

Both are fairly bright projectors and should be able to handle a fair amount of ambient light, although black levels will always suffer with ambient. Depending on whether you're looking at ceiling mounting or shelf mounting, the footprint may come into play, but I've seen both done, even with the added size of the Pro8100. Your room configuration will allow for a 120" screen (possibly bigger), which either projector could adequately fill relatively easily. Really, it looks like it's going to come down to a choice of personal preference versus cost. Have you had the opportunity to see either of the projectors?

yes i saw the HC6800 at best buy.

for my room what would the throw distance be for a 120" screen?

this will be my 1st PJ

·
Registered
509 Posts
If I am not mistaken the Pro8100 is 2 years old. Compare to the current gen models like the HC6800, I would expect the HC6800 to perform better. If price is a concern why not consider the Panasonic AE4000. Giving up a little sharpeness for contrast and features.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put a Mits 6800 up tonight after lurking around here trying to decide for the last 2 months. Out of the box and not even messed with it looks ridiculously good for those that say the blacks aren't that black nobody that looked at mine tonight noticed any problem with them. Take Care

·
Registered
874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/18294978

yes i saw the HC6800 at best buy.

for my room what would the throw distance be for a 120" screen?

this will be my 1st PJ

If Best Buy can make a projector look good, than it must be good, because their viewing environments are horrible to say the least!
Try some specialty shops if you've got any in your area. You're likely goiing to find more knowledgable sales staff with a genuine interest in projection.

Both projectors have the exact same throw ratio, so at 120" you could throw anywhere from 12'4" to 19'10".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts