AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The total LOL about this is that the Infocus/RCA units will be 1/2 the price, are only 7" thick and will likely be available for real purchase much sooner.

Mitsubishi continues its "innovative" course....

·
Registered
684 Posts
As far as I know working for a Mits MegaView dealer, this product is not intended for the residential market. At all.

It is used for commercial AV applications for digital signage, control rooms, presentation spaces, etc.

It is a very cool display with lots of positives, but it's not for the home. Also, it's been shipping for almost a year and we have integrated about 40 or 50 of them to date.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Now, would anybody here REALLY hang this thing on a wall? Who are they kidding with that?

EDIT: Never mind, I just read Sasha's post. A large company may have the stones to hang this and not think twice about it.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Stacked 2 high by 2 wide would sure make my media room!!! A 120" DLP RP. Forget FPs! :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Again, folks the Mits MegaView is not for the home market. The VS-60XT20U lists for $19,995 and is basically mil-spec, offering maximum reliability and ruggedness that the commercial market demands.

It is not designed or intended for the residential market. I mean, even if I could afford one (or several for tiling applications), I would not want one for my home as it is 4:3 and XGA resolution. Not that I don't think the product is great, it is, but it needs to be mated to the correct application and HT is not it.

For my home, I use a 50" Sammy DLP that I got thru the AVS Power Buy in '02.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Thanks again, Sasha. I stand by my comments that Mitsubishi's innovation curve in the home-theater market is sorely lacking.

There have been improvements in the last 12 months (DVI/HDCP support, a superb 30" LCD that is not really more ludicrous in price than Sony's, a "statement piece", an OK 50" plasma), but Mitsubishi owned big-screen TVs in the analog era. They are -- unless dramatic changes occur -- going to lose share in the category and be rendered a niche player over the next several years.

They helped Pioneer RP DLP and now are not in the market. They sell a few dozen LCOS units per month. Their plasma is not in the top 10 in sales for 50" units. Their LCD, while nice, is a niche product given the pricing....

It's time for Mitsubishi to take back its mantle or lose it forever.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would agree with Mark's assessment of Mits consumer displays.

While Mits is king in the commercial world I live in, I'm surprised that their consumer line doesn't take more innovative design approaches. Mits uses DLP so WELL in commercial, I don't understand why they aren't using it as much in the consumer world.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I tend to aggree about Mits losing ground. When I first came upon this board all everyone talked about was CRT RP and Mits was one of the main ones discussed. Now it's all DLP & LCD.

I suppose that is the wave of the future.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.