AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All three models afford playback of DVD-Video titles, CD-DA, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R and the ability to decode MP3 and WMA files. The DD-7040 adds DVD-Audio, while the DD-8040’s feature set includes DVD-Audio and improved video performance thanks to a Faroudja® DCDi™ processing solution

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=16508253

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote from the article:

“The Faroudja DCDi™ video processor found in the DD-8040 provides silky smooth video images and fluid motion without artefacts, an expensive circuit normally reserved for extraordinarily expensive DVD players,†said Robert A. Perry, vice president, marketing.

Like all those extrordinarliy expensive Panasonics. I picked up my RP-62 with DCDi for $162. Now if they'll add scaling and HD compatible DVI outputs to the 8040 then they'll be able to compete with the Sammy HD-931 - for only $50 more.

I love press releases.

-phil

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Hopefully, they'll use the MPEG decoder they're providing Denon for the 2900. It appears it will be the only Mits MPEG decoder that doesn't have the chroma bug.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yep, everyone thinks DCDi is the creme de la creme. Reality is 480p can't compete with 720p or 1080i (if your display can support this). Samsung HD931 will do well if they can get around that darn copy protection scheme that limits protected DVD (most blockbuster releases) to 480p on non HDCP compliant display devices with DVI input. Samsung HD1000 can get around this with firmware hack but its expensive. Of course you can just get a scaler or HTPC and upconvert 480i/p to 720p or 1080i for ALL DVDs :D

Edit: Bravo D1 is now shipping with 720p and 1080i capability via DVI (if HDCP complaint display or if non-copy-protected DVD is used) for $200.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Where is Kris Deering when you need him? I just won one of the DD-8040 units at a Mitsubishi dealer training, and although I know it has Faroudja with DCDi, is the MPEG decoder really "chroma bug free"? I am currently using it a CD player in my computer room, at least until I know the decoder is clean. I am using the audio only driving my computer speakers, which are Paradigm Reference Active 20v2, because this player sounds noticeably better than the CD drive and sound card in my computer.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If you were asking me to review the player, I really am just using it as a CD player right now. I don't have any experience yet with it on a video display, so currently I cannot comment on its picture quality or lack of a chroma bug. That is why I am begging Kris to favor us with his presence! If I have time, I will install it at my store and look at it more carefully in our theater room on our projector. Kris, oh, Kris!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought the DD-8040 the day it became available and, after four hours of viewing, took it back the next day. I wasn't impressed. While I thought the image was slightly better than the JVC XVN50BK I was auditioning at the same time, it wasn't significantly better to justify that additional cost (~$70). It did look better on video source material.

As for the chroma bug, I can't say definitively whether it has the problem or not. I saw the bug clear as day on a Pioneer Elite DV45A so I know what it looks like when its bad. The new Mits player didn't look bad at all in that regard.

I finally settled with a Panasonic RP62, which I found new in the box for $89. I did notice the "flicker bug" on Toy Story, but I did not find it objectionable. Having watched Chicago and True Romance on the 62, the image quality possesses a clarity and depth that was missing from the other players I auditioned, including the DD-8040.

I suggest, as I always do, that if possible, take one for a test drive in your home. That's the only you're going to really know if a given player is the player for you.

Good luck!

J

BTW--I should add, in case anyone is interested, that I also returned the JVC player. I nearly kept it--feature-wise its hard to beat, easy to use with a nice remote, and the Express Start feature is very nice. Unfortunately the picture possessed a smooth, soft, flat quality that didn't necessarily look bad, but wasn't to my taste.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.