AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mitsubishi Owners do you think that the release of the new high definition DVD players (Bravo D1 and Samsung HD931) will push Mitsubishi to add a DVI-HDCP port to thier TVs? Is it even possible for Mitsubishi to add the DVI-HDCP port to thier existing line up as an add on?

???????

·
Registered
503 Posts
-soap box on-

let us prey that mitsubishi never caves in to the devil that is HDCP. Let us prey that they do not give in to provider nazis.

Let us hope they NEVER provide HDCP.

-soap box off-

I want my TV to be a monitor, not a content prevention machine.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soap Box,

Is it possible for a manufacturer to produce a 720/1080 DVD player that runs through 1394 ?

Has anyone heard if that is even on the horizon?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Probably, 1394 DV is simple serial digital, but there is limited application as Mits is the only display brand supporting 1394. So they'll have to develop their own 1394 DVD. They've even gone as far as to put a piece of black tape over a DVI input on the plasmas they're having made for their brand at a recent trade showing. They are committed to 1394 (DTV-Link) but just like DVI/HDMI they'll have to implement DTCP (Digital Transmission Copy Protection.) Problem is, to most of those in the know, 1394 DTCP is too easy to defeat and isn't given much of a chance in the future for HD content delivery.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jefftaz
Mitsubishi Owners do you think that the release of the new high definition DVD players (Bravo D1 and Samsung HD931) will push Mitsubishi to add a DVI-HDCP port to thier TVs? Is it even possible for Mitsubishi to add the DVI-HDCP port to thier existing line up as an add on?

???????
Those are not really HD-DVD players. They are just regular DVD players that scale the 480i source. It is a poor decision for them to label them as HD. Very misleading in the already confusing world of DTV.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Those are not really HD-DVD players. They are just regular DVD players that scale the 480i source. It is a poor decision for them to label them as HD. Very misleading in the already confusing world of DTV.
K-

You're correct they aren't HD-DVD players but they can provide a direct digital source to capable DVI displays. V's Bravo D1 takes the digital information from the DVD, manipulates it in the digital domain and then provides the digital signal on the DVI connector, thus making de-interlacing a moot point. If you then put the output into a digital display the content has remained in the digital domain from beginning to end and avoided noise, distortion or artifacts introduced through D/A conversion. This is, in my view, the condition for producing the best picture.

And if the DVI capable display can display 540p/1080i or even 720p the Bravo D1 scales and delivers the content to that resolution with out D/A conversion. The benefit to analog displays is significant, and tremendous to digital fixed pixel displays such as plasma, LCD, LCoS and DLP.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Noyd
thus making de-interlacing a mute point
You are sadly mistaken if you think deinterlacing will be a moot point. Overall quality is going to depend on the quality of deinterlacing in the DVD player itself. I wouldn't be surprised if these players do not outperform an RP-82 when it comes to deinterlacing video material. I also hope their is a 540p option for those who can't dispaly 720p natively (I think 1080i output is a bad idea and will introduce more artifacts).

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
BTW, both my Mits and Hitachis do not have DVI input...nor do ever envision needing one. I will rethink if there is ever a killer ap that requires it.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
BTW, both my Mits and Hitachis do not have DVI input...nor do ever envision needing one. I will rethink if there is ever a killer ap that requires it.
Well, it seems that Mits has seen the light. Here's TWICE Magazines 4/21/03 story re: the new Mits line show and "MonitorLink" DVI inclusion.

http://twice.com/index.asp?layout=st...=searchResults

Mitsubishi Adds LCoS, Expands Flat-Panel Line

Excerpt-

Gold ? including the 48W-inch ($2,999), 55W-inch ($3,299), 65W-inch ($3,799) and 73W-inch ($6,299) screen sizes. All include the NetCommand 3.0 on-screen home-theater control system with IR remote code learning capability and MonitorLink/DVI-HDCD inputs. Also added are five-format memory card readers with support for MP3 and WMA music and JPEG photo files. The 73W-inch model adds 9-inch CRT optics.

Gold Plus ? including the 48W-inch ($3,299), 55W-inch ($3,599) and 65W-inch ($4,099) screen sizes. Added features in the Gold Series are QuadField Focus, upgraded cosmetics. Offered in the 55W- and 65W-inch models are two-way coaxial speakers for improved high and low frequency sound quality.

Platinum ? including the 65W-inch ($4,799) and 73W-inch ($7,299) screen sizes. All add Tru-Focus lenses, improved two-way speakers, enhanced cosmetics and gold connectors. The 73W-inch models adds 9-inch CRT optics.

Diamond ? including the 55W-inch ($4,999) and 65W-inch ($5,999) screen sizes. Added to these models are modern cosmetic designs, fine-pitch lenticular screens, and anti-glare DiamondShield screens. The 65W-inch model adds 9-inch CRT optics.

Side Bar-

Mitsubishi OKs Tuner Mandate, DVI Approach

Excerpt-

The company's new MonitorLink connection, available on all new Mitsubishi HD-monitors, uses both a DVI-HDCP connector and an RS-232 control to enable displays connected to the new HD-5000 set-top box to operate like Mitsubishi's fully integrated HDTV sets.

Perry said Mitsubishi's chief concern with DVI was that it would have enabled content producers and program distributors to restrict programming to some early HDTV adopters through selectable output controls. That has been prohibited under the pending cable agreement.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
They added DVI after selectable output control was killed and to comply with the cable agreement.
And they're the only ones with the balls to do it. Why this is looked down upon I'll never know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.