AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick search of the forum shows there is no shortage of threads pertaining to dust blob problems with Mitsubishi LCD projectors of almost all models.

If you have experienced this and would like to share your experience, maybe you can help someone who is having a similar problem.

I've read that you can hold up a sheet of white paper a short distance from the projected light source (projecting no image or very dark image) to enhance the effect. For me, I had 2 blobs, one green and one blue. They appeared about the size of grapefruits on the screen and were only visible on very dark images. Upon focusing way out, the blobs were very visible and shrunk down to the size of a silver dollar.

Model: HC5500

Number of hours on bulb before noticing: 75

Filter: The big beefy one from hour 1.

Resolution: Replacement via Geek Squad 4 year extended warranty.

DIY: Although tempting, I did not attempt to resolve the issue myself.

Other: Finished basement, new construction home, very clean, no pets, no smoker. Vacuum 2 times per week. Lens cover on while not in use.

Other 2: A quick call to Mitsubishi tech support gave me the impression that a quicker resolution would be found through Geek Squad. "A dust what? Let me transfer you." "A what?"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good tip about the paper.

I've read that if you run a few microfiber through the dryer, they'll build up enough static and general clinginess to pull dust particles away from the lense in close proximity, and that it's a reasonable way to 'dust' it without causing scratches.

·
867 Posts
Nice tip I will try that next time I need to remove dustblobs. I usually use a airduster the type designed to clean optics and electronics. If the dust is stubborn I have resorted to a cotton bud (you can get non-shedding ones for cleaning optics), but this can scratch the optics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts