AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the good guys today to check out the new Sony 34"*. While I was looking around at some of the other TV's, I saw a sign on the top of a GIANT Mitsu tv. It went into detail on exactly what the "promise" was. It mentioned 5c, 1394 and HAVi specifically, and seemed to make a pretty clear guarantee on what they will put out and maybe even when. I've heard about this for a long time, and saw a mention of this in a press release on their website. It didn't contain specific details like this sign though. It looked like there was some fine print at the bottom. Since I'm not a center for the Sonics, I couldn't actually reach the sign to read it. Anyone happen to have a scan of that or any other docs detailing the specifics on the promise they are making?

Thanks,

Mark

*Even though it was over a thousand dollars more than a lot of their RP TV's, they didn't bother hooking a HD signal to it. Big dopes.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The following was in the SoundTrack Digital TV Expo mailed to my house.

"Ask About the MITSUBISHI PROMISE

Mitsubishi will engineer and manufacture the upgrades necessary so the HD upgradable television you purchase today can be made compatible with near future advances in digital television and digital interconnectivity specifically, we promise that you will be able to have your television upgraded, at a reasonable cost, to include an off air HDTV tuner, a cable TV tuner (for unscrambled programming),and i.EEE 1394 (FireWire®) connection, HAVi system control and 5C copy protection."

NOTE: No mention of a DVI connection. So we will not be able to receive DirectTV or DISH Network DVI HDTV with the new receivers to be built for DirectTV and DISH in 2002. Both DirectTV and DISH said all new HDTV set top boxes built in 2002 will have DVI connections to the receiver. There are previous posts linking to the News Releases.

------------------

Hot

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Is anyone allowed to pruchase a promise module? Or do you have to prove you own a mits set?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit:
Is anyone allowed to pruchase a promise module? Or do you have to prove you own a mits set?
This will be something installed inside your Mitsubishi TV by a Mitsubishi factory authorized technician, not a "black box" you purchase and just plug in to any TV. It would defeat the whole purpose of the encrypted 1394 digital interface to output a user-accessible High Definition RGB or Component signal.

David

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by haysdb:
This will be something installed inside your Mitsubishi TV by a Mitsubishi factory authorized technician, not a "black box" you purchase and just plug in to any TV. It would defeat the whole purpose of the encrypted 1394 digital interface to output a user-accessible High Definition RGB or Component signal.

David

I could have not have said it any better. That is exactly what I heard from an inside source.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Can someone with more technical/electronic expertise than myself (on a scale of 1-10, I would be "0") explain to me what this promise module would do for my situation. I have a 65087 and SR-HD5. Would I still not be able to get Directv 509 in 1080i when the new technology starts?

------------------

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Benji:
Can someone with more technical/electronic expertise than myself (on a scale of 1-10, I would be "0") explain to me what this promise module would do for my situation. I have a 65087 and SR-HD5. Would I still not be able to get Directv 509 in 1080i when the new technology starts?

No one really knows yet. However, it is technically possible for DirecTV to shut off or "down-rez" HD content going through the outputs on your SR-HD5.

There are several things that could happen in 2002-2003 when the new HD receivers with DVI and Firewire start coming out:

1. They shut off HD access on our older receivers and force us to use either DVI- or Firewire-enabled receivers and TVs to see HD content.

2. They "grandfather" older receivers and allow us to continue to see HD channels currently available. However, all new HD channels will require DVI- or Firewire-enabled TVs and receivers.

3. They "grandfather" older receivers and allow us to continue to see all HD channels, old or new. No new equipment needs be purchased to continue to view any HD content available from your provider.

4. They buy us off by allowing time-shifting and/or archival recording - but only with DVI- or Firewire-enabled TVs, receivers, and recorders/PVRs.

5. Or it could be some combination of the above, or something totally different.

The end result for those of us who own Mitsubishi HDTVs is that we will probably have a path to satisfy any of the conditions I mentioned. The promise module will make our TV Firewire and maybe - although Mits is currently saying no - DVI compatible. This module will allow the new HD recorders, PVRs, and receivers to be used with our Mitsubishi HDTVs. At the very least this will probably be required to timeshift/record HD content. At the worst it will be required to view HD content.

Hope that answers your questions!

--Andrew

·
Registered
787 Posts
 Link on Mits site

Notice there is no time frame mentioned at all.

I think the promise device is years away.

Since this delivery system is the only "secure" method, content providers will hold out for consumer acceptance. This system will set records as the poorest selling consumer electronics device ever released.

CCity and BBuy staff cant sell the system we have now... how are they gonna push this stuff. Heck most avs members cant make heads or tails of it. Consumers will be left even more stupified and sales of all hd devices/displays will suffer due to the confusion.

Anyway acceptance will never come and so no content will be available.

Bottom line, these copy protection schemes will destroy hd. We cant win even if all of us early adopters go and buy this crap and mitsubishi actually produces the miracle device.. for free. The future is a grim and nasty place for hd.

imho, the mits promise device is a sham. We'll see flying cars b4 they release that sucker. Its a money loser for mits. They have to train technicians to install all this crap. The only "technician" thats ever been in my home didn't know what convergence was, had a badly photocopied service manual, and left his keys at my house. I shudder at the prospects of Billy messing around with my set again much less installing components INSIDE my baby.

K

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kyungkim:
Link on Mits site

Notice there is no time frame mentioned at all.

I think the promise device is years away.

Since this delivery system is the only "secure" method, content providers will hold out for consumer acceptance. This system will set records as the poorest selling consumer electronics device ever released.

CCity and BBuy staff cant sell the system we have now... how are they gonna push this stuff. Heck most avs members cant make heads or tails of it. Consumers will be left even more stupified and sales of all hd devices/displays will suffer due to the confusion.

Anyway acceptance will never come and so no content will be available.

Bottom line, these copy protection schemes will destroy hd. We cant win even if all of us early adopters go and buy this crap and mitsubishi actually produces the miracle device.. for free. The future is a grim and nasty place for hd.

imho, the mits promise device is a sham. We'll see flying cars b4 they release that sucker. Its a money loser for mits. They have to train technicians to install all this crap. The only "technician" thats ever been in my home didn't know what convergence was, had a badly photocopied service manual, and left his keys at my house. I shudder at the prospects of Billy messing around with my set again much less installing components INSIDE my baby.

K

Boy,

you need to take your blinders off. ANY company that offers an upgrade module will cash in. Period. And for your under qualified tech, you may want to get a reference before you allow someone to come in and work on your equipment like a factory authorized technition. Thats like opening up the yellow pages and picking the first contractor you see. Do your homework.

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
From what I have read on the net all of the Mitsubishi techs seem well versed at swap-tronics. It seems like that is their solution to everything, start replacing boards in the TV until it is fixed, if that doesn't work and the set is less than a year old they give you a new one. The promise module is probably going to be a replacement of the back panel jack board or maybe an add on beside it. At their dealer show they said it would be out in about a year or maybe a tad longer. They are probably still designing the thing since it seems like the industry is coming out with a different conection standard every other day now anyway.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
IMHO, by the time it's available, and with the probable cost, there will be other options available that make more sense.

Are you going to spend $1000 or more on your 2-3-4 year old HDTV Monitor, when a new, better performing, fully integrated HDTV is only $2000-$3000?

I think it's a great promotional idea, but not much more than that. I could be totally wrong about this. We shall see.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
you need to take your blinders off. ANY company that offers an upgrade module will cash in. Period. And for your under qualified tech, you may want to get a reference before you allow someone to come in and work on your equipment like a factory authorized technition. Thats like opening up the yellow pages and picking the first contractor you see. Do your homework.
Blinders ha, i thought I was just fat and ignorant. I guess we can add blind to that list.

When has any c.e. company ever offered a meaningful "upgrade"? Whenever Ive researched anything with "future proof" as part of its marketing tag, it was a sham. The high end onkyo recievers still dont have dts es ability even though they swore it would be available as part of an "upgrade". And thats a software dump via serial. Here we're talking about component swapping.

Upgrades and peripherals with a narrow market appeal is doomed anyway. Of the thousands of mits sets, only a fraction of them will take this upgrade path, if it ever becomes available. Thats a very small market, certainly nothing for mits to "cash in" on. Quick, by some mitsubish stock, they've just released an upgrade module... they will sell hundreds!!

I'll say it again, the promise device is a marketing sham. Its design to give you the warm fuzzies as you walk out the store with a mits. I dont consider myself lucky or in better shape because I own one. I just as easily could have wound up with a toshiba, and I am just as screwed.

btw Billy was a mits certified tech. He was sent by the mfg. Whenever our sets go out of whack, and a tech visits your house, say your prayers. The odds are not in your favour that

a) the tech knows what he is doing and has even seen a hd set b4.

b) he can resolve your problem.

I eventually returned that set, thankfully under the 30 day return period.

Looking forward to having work done by these monkeys is foolish. Yes its a gross generalization, but the "tech" left my house having returned my tv setting to torch mode and left his windbreaker and keys. he picked up his keys when Iwasnt there, but left his scraggily ass jacket.

Forgive my lack of enthusiasm.

Hey Kipp, you into computers, need a motherboard? I gotta great pentium mobo. Its a bit dated, but it has the "future proof" overdrive processor socket for a seamless upgrade path... Intel cashed in on that one eh? The only thing happened there is that the consumer got screwed. These upgrade solutions are inevitably poorly designed and poorly implemented.

Ken's right. By the time these "solution" come out, new sets will be available with built in tuners and better features. We're talking 3 4 years down the line.

K

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
As I can see you still have your blinders on. A certified Mits tech who didnt know what convergence was??? Come on....Its you who has to walk the path you have chosen...not me...thank god!

------------------

Kipp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.