AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this receiver? Anyone compared it to the Sony and Panasonic? Does it upconvert standard DSS?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the mits and have been very happy with it. I don't have a problem with the guide and I like how it retrieves the OTA Guide. It does not have any fan noise, which I hear the Sony does. Some people say the Mits runs hot, but I have not had a problem with it (mine is well ventilated, which is probably why). I have mine hooked up to a Pioneer 610, and I like the ease of switching between component for HD/Digital Pictures and the S-video connection to take advantage of the pioneer line doubler.

Good luck with your decision

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
I personally didn't like it.

I traded it for the Sony, which I'm not so happy with either.

First off, the Mits Guide is unnaceptably slooow.

Yes it will upconvert 480i material.

All channels, including 480, 1080 and OTA will be displayed in 16:9 format if component cables are used.

That might be a problem if you like 4:3 screen for 4:3 material, I know that I do.

Sony has some problems of its own, but the guide is acceptable.

However no OTA or HD guide info, the Mits has this.

JOE

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had mine for 3 months now and I do not have any Major complaints.

If you have a Mits set, then buy it.

It's not perfect, but works well enough.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I also have the Mits hd-5 and am very happy with it also. The seamless guide (OTA & DTV) is really nice, especially for my family members. If I want to watch a 4:3 show in 4:3, I just switch to the S-Video input. I dont think there is much 1080i 4:3 media so this shoudnt be a major issue.

Steve

P.S.

Before I hooked up the receiver to my HD tv, I hooked it up to a regular tv through composite cables and the menus were as fast as could be. But I did notice the slow down after hooking up to the HD. Very odd. I think there should be a software upgrade for this.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Does the SD5 upconvert all 4:3 into 1080i format?

(I know the resolution is not changed)

This is like watching 4:3 in standard output which streches a 4:3 to a 16:9, correct?

·
Registered
209 Posts
yes, it upconverts 480i to 1080i.

No, it isn't stretched. It comes in with gray bars on the sides.

dinesh

------------------

DVI/HDCP sucks. DFAST sucks. Boycott JVC.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just to add a few points, you elect if you wish to upconvert 480i signals to 1080i or not by activating the high definition output (component outputs). The standard definition outputs (S-video, composite) are disabled when you do this so you can not be recording so I have both connected to my Mits TV. I am not sure if the RF output is disabled also. My upconverted 480i 4:3 material can be displayed in 1080i Standard mode without grey bars on the sides.

I have the box and have a problem reported by some. I can press a remote control button once and get multiple responses in the box (say 6 responses for one push). Drives me nuts sometimes. Others have reported this going away eventually but not with mine, yet.

------------------

Mike Saemisch

Visit my home theater here .

[This message has been edited by MSaemisch (edited 04-16-2001).]

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MSaemisch:
My upconverted 480i 4:3 material can be displayed in 1080i Standard mode without grey bars on the sides.
How? How is it displayed?

Given the rest of your message, I think you're saying that you're using the s-video to output 480i, which your TV is upconverting to 1080i (using whatever mode you want, which in your case is not gray bars).

Am I incorrect? Are you getting 1080i material out of the STB (on the component cables, since this is the only connection which can output 1080i) in 4:3 mode without gray bars?

dinesh

------------------

DVI/HDCP sucks. DFAST sucks. Boycott JVC.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
As a comparison, the Panasonic TU-HDS20 upconverts to 480p, 540p, 720p or 1080i and will show the upconverted SDTV or NTSC signal in a 4:3 format with gray bars even when using the component inputs, so you never have to change inputs. It can also stretch the 4:3 to 16:9 with a push of a remote button.

Bad news about the Panny is the slooowwww guide and the semi-loud fan. Other than that, it's really a great piece.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Mits box outputs either 4:3 material at 480i via the S-Video/Composite or upconverts and outputs it at 1080i via the component video outs. On my Mits TV, the 480i received via the S-Video or composite is then either internally line doubled and displayed at 480p or upconverted and displayed at 960i. There are several modes with the 480i input (Standard, Expand, Stretch, Zoom, Squeezed or whatever it is called w/gray bars).

When upconverted to 1080i at the STB, the signal is likewise displayed in 1080i. I know I can display 4:3 material upconverted at the STB box to 1080i without gray bars (Standard mode).

Mike...

------------------

Mike Saemisch

Visit our home theater here .

[This message has been edited by MSaemisch (edited 04-16-2001).]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mike - How do you know if a signal is being internally line doubled or upconverted and displayed at 960i? What would be a 960i input source?

In component out (1080i) isnt the signal locked into standard mode? And in this mode dosent it force a 4:3 input into the 16:9 shape? Is there an advantage to watching particular non-HD feeds in HD mode (component) rather than through the S-Video input?

I just got this setup last week and am still learning myself.

Mits 65857 and HD5 w/ eliptical dish

Steve Holtam

[This message has been edited by SteveHoltam (edited 04-17-2001).]

·
Registered
987 Posts
Since you must have a wide screen, than in standard mode, you can display a HDTV 16:9. But if you allow it to input 4:3, it will stretch the 4:3 screen to fit the wide screen, and no grey bars. To get the correct aspect ratio, you have to press the format button on the remote to Narrow, which will then produce the 4:3 picture with grey bars.

Now, I do not know if you can do this with the Mits box, since I believe it will display standard mode when it receives component input.

Now you can (for 4:3 mode) display in expand (increases vert), stretch (center is correct aspect ratio, but it stretches the sides, not like standard which linearly stretches the entire picture), then there is zoom which increases both vert and horiz.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Steve,

I think the guys above answered most of your points very well but I see a couple more minor points to respond to. You won't have a 960i source that I know of. My Mitz TV wants 480i, 480p or 1080i (but it may accept others like 540, I am not sure). The Mitz satellite box outputs only 480i or 1080i. The 960i is just a TV feature to display 480i material. I don't see a difference but some do.

I don't like watching standard definition upscreened at the STB to 1080i. You can't use stretch mode and I think it really softens the picture when you have a poor signal source (such as watching the Avalanche beating(!) the Canucks last night with an OTA signal). I don't think there is an advantage unless you can see a difference between pictures from the internal line doubler and the STB upscan.

For a wealth of info and help on Mits stuff, be sure and check out http://www.***************.com in the Mits Forum area. (Not affiliated).

Enjoy.

------------------

Mike Saemisch

Visit our home theater here .

[This message has been edited by MSaemisch (edited 04-17-2001).]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks everyone for responding. It does seem like from the responses that the Mits receiver has very few problem overall. A few quirks (that button issue) but not like the problems the Sony seems to have. Knock on wood that our investments keep trucking right along quietly :)

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.