AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check ou the article on "TWICE" about the world's largest and 1080p HDTV to be released to dealers soon!!!!!!!!!!!! Expensive, but the pressure to provide 1080p HDTV hardware is on!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
82". :eek:

That would truly be the movies coming home. I have a 50" and I think that's kinda big. I can't imagine anything at 82".

:eek:

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Let me say that those of up convinced that 73" was the end of the line for RPTVs were mistaken. :) [The thread should be titled "...Announces..." not "...Releases..." because it's not out till fall.]

I really want to know what this weighs and what the dimensions of the cabinet are.

I love the way they tweak Toshiba for not accepting 1080p... But at $21,000 and 82", I am seeing this as kind of a niche product. Y'know?

Mark

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Wow, this new Mitsubishi will accept 1080p input signals....

·
Registered
842 Posts
If its anything like the toshiba lcos set, and has a glass screen it scales

to about 450 lbs. Which will make it absolutely impossible to move, or

get out of the box, or get in the house... I would really like 1080p input,

but 82 inches is just plain too big for the space i want to put it in.

Still very happy with 57hlx82.

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,318 Posts
Makes me wanna go out and buy a FPTV for around $12,000. Yea, I think I can "get to 82 inches" with quality for about half that.:D

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
bernster,

Mitsubishi is now a HDCP licensee, and their next-generation HD-5000 Promise Module (set top box) does incorporate a DVI-CP output. So it seems likely that this 82" LCOS model will feature a HDCP input (likely DVI-CP).

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
What will she say when you rip out a wall to get it into the house?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It sure does seem like it has DVI/HDCP, huh?

The thaw is afoot?

Kipp: When you *do* get this thing, make sure the 4-man delivery crew sets it up exactly where you need it and maybe put some of those teflon-coated feet on the bottom just in case. :)

Mark

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Support the floor! Don't forget to support the floor!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Why does everybody think this thing's gonna be so HUGE and so HEAVY??

Microdisplay sets are inherently lighter than CRT and as long as it fits through a doorway there shouldn't be a prob.

The delivery guys took about 3 minutes to roll in my 65" Mitsu CRT, and when I did my HT room addition I just rolled the set into my kitchen for a couple months no prob. Wheels work real easy.

Now moving my 32" direct view is VERY tough.

Anyway... $21K is insane IMO. Understandable for something radical and new like this, but insane still.

Just saw a 73" CRT Mitsu today selling for $8K and while I thought it was cool, couldn't justify the $5K over the price of my 65" version.

1080p is better than 1080i spec-wise, but 'real world' speaking most people sit too far from their sets to fully take in all the rez. in a 1080i picture anyway making an even higher rez. a waste of $.

I'd have to sit at like ~7-8' from my 65" set to take in the full resolution -which I think almost no one with a set that big (incl. me) does.

LCoS is a cool technology, but who cares if it's CRT, LCD, LCoS, LED, Plasma, Lasers, etc...? "What's the picture look like?" is what matters right?

Mitus's DLP RPTV's (that've been around for several years now) all suck compared to anything in thier CRT line up -besides being WAY more $.

Anyone know who's making the LCoS chip for Mitsu? and any other info about the imager?

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Azryan, I think some of us are extrapolating from the Toshiba 57" LcoS which weighs 300lbs. The Mits DLP 65" is massive for a DLP so it is an easy target for "fat" jokes when they come up with an 82" set of any kind. No one seems to know why the Toshiba needs to be so heavy, and Toshiba isn't talking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting phenomena. Many on here went gaga over the intro of Samsung DLP, then did the same with Toshiba's LCOS and many are waiting to buy the new Sony 58" LCOS model. Now, the large -screen king, Mitsubishi, announces a "killer" HDTV flagship model of 82" with ever imaginable and unimaginable feature and this board goes silent.

Mabe it's the war or SARS affects. Watch the pennies and to hell with the newest best "toy". Disappointing to see that you guys are wimping out. BTW, this set, technically, should weigh no more than 200 pounds and have no more than 24" in depth. Here is the full press release:

Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Introduces Largest Consumer HDTV Projection Television Ever Created: The Mitsubishi Alpha

DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 11, 2003--Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America Inc. today introduced the Mitsubishi Alpha 82-inch Widescreen HDTV featuring 1080 x 1920 resolution, the consumer electronics industry's largest-ever HDTV.

Featuring Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) reflective LCD technology, super-high precision optics, and the highest performance digital receiver and processing circuits ever created by Mitsubishi Electric, this new Alpha television surpasses all previous standards of performance. Suggested value pricing for the Mitsubishi Alpha is $20,999.

"For those consumers who simply don't compromise on design, performance or reliability in their home theater and multimedia experience, the Mitsubishi Alpha will exceed their expectations," said Max Wasinger, senior vice president of sales and marketing. "We created the Mitsubishi Alpha by pushing the limits of all known display technology and signal processing, sparing no investment or effort to create this breakthrough HDTV," he added.

The Mitsubishi Alpha is a true multimedia HDTV, with direct computer input resolutions from VGA to W-XGA to direct native mode 1080 x 1920, and also incorporates all the HDTV features found in their Diamond Series HDTVs. These include a third-generation digital receiver, FireWire(R) (IEEE-1394) network connections, Home Audio Video interoperability (HAVi) system control software, and the NetCommand(TM) on-screen, icon-based home theater control system, including version 3.0 which has the ability to learn the IR commands from any home theater product.

"The design goal of the Mitsubishi Alpha was quite simple -- exceed all known standards of video performance and signal processing, in a `work of art' design. Then, add PC capability, multi-format card readers for viewing digital photographs and listening to digital audio files, and an amazing list of features, coupled with the NetCommand 3.0 control system, so it's the easiest-to-use HDTV ever built," said Robert A. Perry, vice president, marketing. "Whether it's watching high-definition broadcasts recorded via FireWire or surfing the Web with the family, the 82-inch Mitsubishi Alpha redefines `home theater' and family entertainment."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Notice that the press release didn't call its set a "LCOS" display but a "LCoS" display. Only one company in the world owns that trademark and it's US based. Guess which one.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits

No one seems to know why the Toshiba needs to be so heavy, and Toshiba isn't talking. [/b]
My opinion is that due to that big piece of glass on the front, the 57HLX82 needs quite a bit of ballast to keep it from being front heavy. With so little inside the TV it is quite possible that the concern was it would fall forward if it became slightly off balance.

Mike

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.