AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked and looked but I always read conflicting information and it isn't specific to my set up. I have a 2002 Mitsubishi WS-55869 with inputs for RGBHV as well as RGB. My question is do I need a VGA to RGB\\RGBHV converter or if I buy the RGBHV cable from better cable will that do the trick? What would be the advantage/disadvantage if i could do both. I also have a VGA port on board but it is only capable of 640/480. I was thinking that if it could accept and display from my PC to directly the RGBHV input it would be the cleanest signal possible and therefore theoretically better. Thanks for reading and your reply.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a older Mit's (2001) 55" and assuming they are the same the RGBHV port is where you want to connect the HTPC. You will need a breakout cable but it sounds like you know that already and you will need to build custom rez and timings with something like Power Strip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2000 55" model. Just started out playing with HTPC and bought a test vga breakout cable from pccables.com. Will someone let me know if the $100 BettleCables is that much better than the $15 generic cable i've bought.

Connected to the RGBHV to the TV. Changed the setup on the TV to RGB from component(have to power on/off for it to see the connection) and played DVD Movies right after that.

·
Registered
988 Posts
As for cables, I tried cheap ones when I first got my Crystal Image scaler for my 65" Mits, which is connected to the RGBHV inputs via a VGA breakout cable. They introduced ringing and ghosting effects.

I've noticed the same thing on my HTPC and projector. This is one place where cable quality is quite definitely critical.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the reply Darrel.

Understand the cable qualities problem. Eventhough I've only watched scenes from Animes movie and Pearl Harbor, I've not seen any ghosting yet. More testing will be done.

As for Bettercables.com, they used to sell their cables for $50-60. Now everything starts at $100. I've foregone all the name brands and went with their "good quality at low price" back then. Now, it seems like I'll have to look for other decent cables at lower price. Any recommendation?

Thanks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I can't really recommend anyone. I did a quick Google search for "AV cables" and came up with a lot of vendors. I have used Better Cables and was very satisfied. They had both a standard VGA breakout cable with RG60 (?56 -whatever) cable and one with smaller diameter shielded coax. I liked the smaller one and it worked just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.