AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first published report I have seen that says we finally hit the 100,000 ATSC receiver mark sold. The statement was made by Bob Perry, Mitsubishi marketing VP. You can see it here

Another interesting quote from the article says:

"Wasinger stated that MDEA was able to stay ahead of its competitors by ensuring supply met dealer demand. The company increased HDTV-upgradeable production at its Mexicali plant, and is now catching up on orders for its previously delayed ATSC/DirecTV HD set-top decoder box, Wasinger said."

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
"This is the first published report I have seen that says we finally hit the 100,000 ATSC receiver mark sold. The statement was made by Bob Perry, Mitsubishi marketing VP."

Great news. Too bad for Bob that 90,000+ of them are other brands, mostly RCA.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
228 Posts
It is even a better news that the demand for HDTV equipment exceeded their production rate. That might indicate they could have sold more if they have put enough effort on it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The more I see these numbers RISE the harder it will be for those who which to implement (*those rumored or maybe factual) copy protection schemes to take hold. The Motion Picture industry is putting a lot of pressure on the manufactures for these types of scenarios, of which I hope will be defeated. I want the same opportunity to video tape a STD/broadcast off my equipment just like a $69.00 KMart VHS machine can do today, except with an option for High Definition, and of course a newer tape machine purchase. As for maybe even paying a fee that will go to whomever to satisfy the powers that be I could deal with. The more of the STB units sold without these so called protections the better off we all will be, but of course the underlying factor is they have that capability built in on all HDSTB units that were ever produced and it has been posted here in the form in previous threads, they can shut off your HD feeds from your HDSTB to your TV/Monitor today if they wish. As far as them ever doing it, who knows? So lets keep the ball rolling and boycott any company that sells a device that will prevent or limit your options, just like the DIVIX fiasco went, so should this. Looks like JVC is coming out with equipment that will do exactly that!

------------------
Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I believe they all would have sold many more HD STB's if they had done two things.

1) Made enough of them.

2) Made them bug free.

Most of the new STB's have some sort of defect that, IMHO, is keeping a lot of people from jumping in. If I had not bought one before I was aware of all the problems, I would be waiting also.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
1 million set have been sold! That is the really good news. The other interesting comment was that "congress won't allow " 5C copy protection.

The reason you spend $3000+ on a TV is to future proof. The reason TVs outsell tuners 10:1 is that THERE IS NO CONTENT.

****caps intended, hoping that broadcasters will hear me if I speak loud enough****

SM

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My biggest grip is the foot dragging with the broadcasters. I have a VCR that I almost never use. Mostly I like time shifting, and would be happy with west coast network feeds for much of my "delayed viewing". I don't bootleg software (of any kind). I mostly buy DVDs and don't rent. I never copy stuff the I rent. All my MP3s are just jukebox archieves of CDs I own.

Maybe I'm a boyscout, I don't know. I just want to be able to view high quality video, and record an occasional program.

Yet, I certainly would never support a "pay for view" concept for any software . . . period. For some odd reason, I like "This is Spinal Tap", but would not view it if I had to pay for each viewing. Sometimes I just show 30-60 secs of something to make a point.

I think that producers have gotten way too greedy, and lost touch with what viewers want.

end of rave

SM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.