AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking to get the best projection HDTV set for approximately $3000.

More precisely, we have narrowed it down to the three brands: Mitsubishi, Sony and Pioneer. We're leaning towards a widescreen in 57" size. We really liked the Sony 57HW40, but we didn't like the idea that the set is silver in addition to the center speaker grille that has a blue tint. I trust sony for CRTs (tvs and comp. monitors) and I think they make great tvs. But as far as their projection HDTVs, I don't know too much.

We liked Mitsubishi and Pioneer more than Sony. Pioneer seems to be out of our price range. Mitsubishi on the other hand seems to be the perfect choice. Dark black, wide panel (can place components on top), did I mention it's not silver.

As we were originally looking to spend $2500, $3000 is the top. Will we get burnt with a Mitsubishi or Pioneer, or are they just as good as Sony? We want the best picture quality, reliability and overall quality of the set (doesn't everyone :) ).

Thanks a million in advance!

-dennis

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hello and welcome to the board. FYI, there is a notice under the HDTV Hardware forum saying: NOTE...Information regarding HDTV displays should be posted in the proper displays area. But until the moderators move the post, I will let you know my opinion. You have narrowed it down to three good and popular makers of HDTVs. After reading various posts on this forum, the reviews on Sony rear projection HDTVs have not been as good as the Mitsubishi or Pioneer rear projection HDTVs. If you do plan to go for the Mitsubishi, you may want to get it ISF calibrated ($400-1000 normally). I have heard MANY people say the Mitsubishi's do not look good at all out the box. I recently purchased a Mitsubishi WS-65909 and I think it looks great out of the box (I can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets ISF calibrated later this month, if this is supposed to not look very good :D ). I am just glad to be away from cable TV I guess. Also, the line doubler on the Mitsubishi sets is not as good as some of the other manufactures so you may want to purchase a DVDO iScan Pro, especially if you watch a lot of cable/satelliter, VHS, etc. I can't tell you much about the Pioneer sets. When I was looking to purchase a set, they seemed a bit over-priced, but that is strictly my opinion. I recommend doing a search of each set that you are interested in and see what you come up with. Good luck. I think during the planning stages of my HT, I changed my mind as to what HDTV to purchase at least four times! :D

-Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appologize for posting in the wrong area. Am I able to move the thread myself?

In the mean time...thanks for your help.

I guess I was leaning away from Sony from the start, but at the same time it felt better staying with Sony due to prior experience.

We really liked the Pioneer SD-643HD5 (64" widescreen) and it seems as if we can get it for under $3500 online. I'm willing to spend the extra $500 for it, but I'm wary about the quality of this set being so much bigger for only $500 and also I don't know about shipping something this big & expensive from a company I don't know too much about (mydigitaluniverse.com & cameraclub.com). Too bad Crutchfield only sell Sony.

As far as Mitsubishi, I did read several posts about the sets not being optimally calibrated out of the box, but I will be calibrating any set I buy.

I've also read that regular cable shows will be almost unwatchable on such a set. Is this true? I plan to watch a lot of HBO boxing.

From all this, can I conclude that Pioneer and Mitsubishi make just as high quality and reliable (if not better) units as Sony?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.