AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very low hours, only light home theatre use from new (3 years old). Here is some blurb I found buried in the Australian Mitsibushi website. I think I could finally be about to join the CRT ranks.... even my wife can't balk at the price on this one. My questions are;
  1. Although it says 7" with a 6" phosphor area, doesn't that essentially make it like other manufacturers 8" ?
  2. What tubes are used ? Can they be rebuilt in the future ?[/list=1]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VS-1281E

http://www.mitsubishi-electric.com.a...ages/6_5c1.JPG
    • 1000 TV lines composite; 1600 x 1200 with RGB source.
    • 900 (peak lumens).
    • 15 to 103 kHz (horizontal).
    • Colour corrected F1.1 hybrid lenses; Optically coated elements; Special coloured green lens; Dichroic coating on green and blue lenses.
    • 7" / 17.8 cm with electromagnetic focus; 6" / 15.24 cm phosphor area; Impregnated Cathode Dynamic Beam Forming for improved edge focus.
    • RGB analog (x2), composite video, S-video, and separate Y/C.
    • True Digital Convergence
    • Flexible Optical Coupling
    • Nine zone digital focus
    • 30 memory locations for storage of 30 setups
    • Liquid cooling
    Quote:
    Mitsubishi's The VS-1281E is a versatile, professional, three-CRT projector with excellent features. It blends the latest technology with a broad compatibility range for almost every computer or video generated presentation application. It is the first projector to offer True Digital Convergence, which virtually eliminates the tedious task of convergence and dramatically reduces the time required for set-up.

The usability of The VS-1281E is further enhanced by the Flexible Optical Coupling, which allows for precise switching between screen sizes from 70 inches to 300 inches while maintaining the benefits of an optically coupled and liquid-cooled CRT and lens system.

Additional technical advances include the newly designed seven-inch electromagnetic focus CRTs with six-inch display areas, a broad 15 to 103 kHz auto-scanning range and an 80 MHz video bandwidth at -3db.

For the highest resolution and performance with the easiest set-up and use, The VS-1281E from Mitsubishi Electric is overwhelmingly the choice in projection technology today.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
THis should be an EXCELLENT home theater projector. It will have really good contrast, because it is truely liquid coupled. I haven't seen one in person, but I have read the installation manual and it appears to be a little bass ackward, but I'm sure it will produce a great image. If it is rated at 900lumens and is liquid coupled, that means the tubes are probably as stong as a non liquid coupled machine that is rated at 1100 lumens which is pretty close to CRT top end. You will NEED a remote control for it though. If you have a Pronto, you can download a ccf for the 1281 at www.remotecentral.com if you are not going to buy this, email me with details of where it is and let me have the opportunity. My email is [email protected]

Don't worry about tube rebuilding. Run it at the correct contrast and brightness and have it last 10,000 hours, put away $5.00 per movie(less than actual admission) and when you have exhausted the tubes you will have saved enough to get the best new thing out there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If this is a low hour unit and reasonably priced I suggest you RUN and buy it.

I saw one a few years ago in the US when they were new, circa 1997/8. It was running 480P/60hz early US HD demo material and had been professionally setup and ISF calibrated. Picture was excellent. On the same level as fully calibrated Runco IDP-980 (9pg Xtra) if that helps any.

I can still remember how impressed i was viewing stuff on this unit. Easy setup was also one of its selling points from memory.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would this unit be capable of HDTV display and what would be the maximum progressive feed it could accept based upon the specs? Sorry for the ignorance as I am a DLP owner atm but a bit of quick reply might see that change with luck.

Cheers

JohnP

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One is the Mitsubishi 1281E and other a NEC 1351 LC. Both are excellent condition with the NEC having 1200hours. A technician has confirmed both have no burn-in.

I really don't mind which one I keep, so I'll leave that up to the buyer. For a PDF brochure on the NEC check out;

http://www.nectech.com/presentationp...g_brochure.pdf

They have remotes and may even have mounting brackets. As for resolutions, they will do all HDTV resolutions, even capable of displaying de-interlaced 1080p. Maximum displayable progressive resolutions is;

1600x1200 for the Mitsubishi and

2500x2000 for the NEC

A good thing is our HDTV set-top boxes will upsample SDTV to 1080i, so no scaler is needed. You'll probably want to look at getting a progressive scan DVD player though.

I can be emailed on [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.