AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling with getting a WD-57732 on sale for $2199 vs waiting until after the Superbowl when the prices drop for an 831 (Diamond Series)

What an outstanding picture. In-store (West coast major brand store that Willeys your RC) picture was the only picture better than the Sony KDS-55a2000 (wow, too)

WD-57732:

The WD-57732 is a Digital Cable Ready HDTV with CableCARD slot, so digital cable channels can be viewed without a cable box. It has two HDMI inputs, three component video inputs and a DVI-I input for a digital PC connection. ClearThought® Easy Connect recognizes inputs as they are plugged in to simplify set up and day-to-day operation. And NetCommand® allows for simple icon based control of most any brand of Cable or Satellite set top box, AV Receiver or other home theater component.

WD-57831

Each Diamond WD-57831 HDTV is Digital Cable Ready with a CableCARD slot and TV Guide On Screen®. Both televisions also have two HDMI inputs, three component video inputs and a PC DVI-I input for a digital PC connection. ClearThought® Easy Connect recognizes inputs as they are plugged in to simplify set up and day-to-day operation. And NetCommand® allows for simple icon based control of most any brand of TV set top box, AV receiver or other home theater component from the included fully-illuminated remote or additional simple remote.

Differences:

Turbolight 150 bulb vs 180 in the 831

TV Guide on - screen on the 831

high contrast screen on the 831 vs ??? on the 732

"732 allows for precices deinterlacing and upconversion to 1080p" vs no upconversion needed for the 831? ?????

partially illuminated remote for the 732 vs the 831 fully illuminated remote

additional front IEEE 1394 with DV Decoder on the 831

VGA-SXGA 1920x1080 Analog - No on the 732, yes on the 831, primary use & benefits of this?

no IR emmiter Cable on 732, - yes on the 831, what is this?

The rear panels of both sets look EXACTLY the same.

I need your thoughts and opinions please. Also, any leads to low-online prices that may be used for in-store price matching?

Thanks

· Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnugly /forum/post/0

any thoughts?

any 831 owners?

the high contrast screen is one that has no reflection. My TV room has floor to ceiling windows all along the wall OPPOSITE the TV. I used to have to close all the blinds if I wanted to watch TV even in the late afternoon when the sun was on the other side of the house.

I now have a 65831 and I can leave those windows wide open and watch anything I want. I love it!

The emitter cables are what control other devices. My Gen 1 Tivo called them something else...but they plug into the unit so it can control other devices with the remote. I am currently not using them but my TV came with four. It's a cable with an LED on the end, and you set it near the device you want to control so it can see it.

PQ on my TV is incredible. My only problem is that with all this technology, my San Diego Chargers still lost today. Even in High Def.

-Paul in San Diego

· Registered
74 Posts
My simple advice is if you can afford the Diamond series, get it, the picture is spectacular and you wont be unhappy. Truthfully you wont be unhappy either way because i know what Diamond series looks like as 2 of my friends/coworkers have one and i have the medallion 732 series. 110% satisfied. When set properly, even the 731 looks great. Mitsubishi dlp really gives a good, clear 3D picture.

I watched a National Geographic dvd on crocodiles using a upconversion dvd player and the images looked as clear as real life. This coming from a Sony loyalist. Sony is still my favorite manufacturer but i think the bottom line is that i got more from the Mitsubishi for what i was spending but had i bought a Sony, i would have been equally happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.