AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm creating a home theater room and I have settled on the Mtisubishi 82" DLP as the set I want to build the entertainment center around.

I have seen the main Mitsubishi thread and read through some of it. However looking at the specs online, I can't tell if it's worth picking up the 737 over the 837. I see that the 837 has a few more updates and also has one more HDMI connection. However it is about $500+ more and I don't feel as if I am informed enough to decide.

Does the 837 have a new panel? I have heard that people have issues with the remote for the 737. Does the 837 have a new remote?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-calvin

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantalope15 /forum/post/18315891

Hello everyone,

I'm creating a home theater room and I have settled on the Mtisubishi 82" DLP as the set I want to build the entertainment center around.

I have seen the main Mitsubishi thread and read through some of it. However looking at the specs online, I can't tell if it's worth picking up the 737 over the 837. I see that the 837 has a few more updates and also has one more HDMI connection. However it is about $500+ more and I don't feel as if I am informed enough to decide.

Does the 837 have a new panel? I have heard that people have issues with the remote for the 737. Does the 837 have a new remote?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-calvin

To my knowledge the remotes are the same across the board for 2009 entire series. I own the 82837 and yes the remote is horrible as virtually all owners of these sets will attest to. Whether the 837 is worth the extra money generally varies from person to person. I was lucky enough to actually get a deal on the 837 that was lower than pricing I was seeing on the 737 so that's the main reason I got it. Are you planning to get your TV professionally calibrated? If so, and coupled with the fact that it's apparently going into a theater room rather than simply a living room area I would say spring for the 837. It offers more features for calibration and I think that it would be worth it for a dimly lit theater room. I have yet to decide whether to calibrate mine as it is used for daily viewing in the living room and I think I'm preferring to use brilliant as my viewing mode. I don't believe the panel varies between the two models but the 82" panel is different than the 73" and the rest. I believe it is much improved, stiffer, better geometry, and better viewing angles. I saw both a 737 and 837 in b&m stores and the 837 had a better pic but I did not adjust the settings on each so that was probably the main factor there. Generally speaking the biggest improvement is said to be deeper black levels so if that's important to you (and having a dark theater room might make it more apparent) I'd say go for it. Keep in mind though that some people have experienced issues with the Dark Iris although it seems to work itself out and I have yet to notice it on my set (I've had it for over 3 weeks now).

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you're planning to put it in a light controlled home theater room, you're also more likely to be annoyed by the reflection issue at the top of letterboxed wide screen movies. That's when it really shows up. Barely noticeable in a regularly lighted room for most people --more apparent when all the room lights are off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

My theater room is in a sub basement with no windows so everything I'm reading seems to match what people say about the WD-82837. It's best in a dark room with minimal light.

I don't plan to calibrate it. I used the DVE for my last tv and I was pleased with it. There is a WD-82737 at the Costco near my house for $3199. However then you have to add on tax and environment fees and it will come out to about 3600.00 out the door.

Amazon is selling the WD-82837 for 3188 with free white glove service and the squaretrade warranty is only $289 thru them.

Manny, may I ask what type of stand you are using? I heard that centering the TV height wise is very important to getting a clean picture. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georule /forum/post/18317406

If you're planning to put it in a light controlled home theater room, you're also more likely to be annoyed by the reflection issue at the top of letterboxed wide screen movies. That's when it really shows up. Barely noticeable in a regularly lighted room for most people --more apparent when all the room lights are off.

This is something that I really haven't run into yet. Most of my viewing is done in a regularly lighted room although I have watched a couple of Blu-rays with all the lights off and haven't seen it. Granted, I wasn't exactly looking for it either as I don't want it to get stuck in my head and that's all I see lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantalope15 /forum/post/18317742

Amazon is selling the WD-82837 for 3188 with free white glove service and the squaretrade warranty is only $289 thru them.

Manny, may I ask what type of stand you are using? I heard that centering the TV height wise is very important to getting a clean picture. Thanks.

I was able to get mine for $2999 from best buy while the hhgregg just beside of them was selling the 737 for $3500 although once mitsu announces their 2010 series (supposedly in April) you could see an even bigger drop in price or have a better negotiating position.

The stand is very important though. You don't realize just how tall these screens are until they are in your house lol. The general rule of thumb is that when you are in your normal viewing position, be that seated or reclined, you want to measure the height of your eyes and have that height be where the center of your screen is. I think there is some measurements in the Official Mitsu thread or you can just check out the spec sheet online. I originally bought a stand at BB when I picked up my TV. It was the only one that a local store had in stock that would be big enough for the 82". It was a BDI stand but it really wasn't wide enough (4-5 inches of overhang on each side) and it was 18.5" tall. Basically I purchased it as a quick fix knowing that I would probably take it back (plus it was over $700!). Luckily I have a brother who is good in woodwork and I had him custom build me a stand. The 18.5" height wasn't terrible but you could tell that you were slightly looking up when reclined (really didn't affect pic quality). I had him build me a stand 16" tall, 73" wide" and 24" deep (to give me room for a center speaker in front of the TV). It's perfect for normal viewing and I don't see a noticeable pic change when standing up to play Wii. And BB didn't give me any trouble returning the original stand.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How do both of these compare to say, the C9 series?

It looks to me like the only difference between C9 and 737 is the Deep Field feature. And the only difference between 737 and 837 is a couple more color features...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Read the FAQ linked in my sig.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yea I stumbled upon that later

Basically, they don't... Save some money and go with the C9 apparently. The 737s offer nothing, and the 837s most people turn the additional features off on anyway.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantalope15 /forum/post/18317742

Thanks for the replies.

My theater room is in a sub basement with no windows so everything I'm reading seems to match what people say about the WD-82837. It's best in a dark room with minimal light.

I don't plan to calibrate it. I used the DVE for my last tv and I was pleased with it. There is a WD-82737 at the Costco near my house for $3199. However then you have to add on tax and environment fees and it will come out to about 3600.00 out the door.

I strongly recommend a back/bias light. It will increase your perceived contrast, it will also reduce the appearance of internal light scatter. As for the need to calibrate, that is a bit problematic. The need on these sets is definitely there, the question is how close can it be calibrated. Grayscale settings are a good start. These are not easy TVs to calibrate. Brightness and contrat settings are no problem but you have some trade offs if you go beyond that. It is relatively straightforward to do a grayscale from Advance Mode, but the you don't have access to the Perfect Color and Tint controls in Advance mode. In Brilliant, Bright and Natural you can access the Perfect Color and Tint modes but doing a grayscale is much harder. Kind of a "Catch 22".

BTW, this light scatter thing that georule is talking about is not unique to Mits DLPs. I have 3 DlPs from different manufacturers and they all do it to some degree or other. Also it is not just in the top black bar on widescreen content. It occurs wherever the brightness is much higher than an adjacent area. Very easy to see this with any one of these calibration discs.

I am not sure if comes from light bouncing of the inside of the screen and then back via reflection into the mirror or the cabinent, or possibly some light leakage out of the light path. Part of it maybe lens quality. If I was adventurous I woud take the cover off the back and line the cabinent with some kind of black velvet like cloth and try and dampen any extra light bouncing around. I suspect the blacks would get better, all the colors would be more saturated and true resolution should improve, I would not be suprised if the set actually put out more light. I have been experimenting with boosting the contrast (peak white) with an outside video processor, it appears that may be a productive quest to get more light out of the set. What I am not sure about is, if in doing so, it causes some more light to scatter around, I think it probably does. This light scatter or color contamination is especially weird when you get what looks like lens flare on the screen. Especially when those spectral highlights are in the Mits trademark flourescent blue color. Some of this is probably caused by screen material selection on the 82". The lamp is not really ideal for the size of screen, so they had some trade offs I am sure in what the screen does.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Even though I have an 837 I agree it probably is not worth the difference in price. It is possible the unit without the iris puts out some more light and it is something else to go wrong. The iris in the 837s also makes calibration a bit harder

·
Registered
24 Posts
I compared the 82" 837 with 737 side by side at my local bb and there is a big difference in picture quality.... the blacks are deeper and the colors more vivid on the 837.... they both had blue ray demos playing and it was no contest... I think the 737 model is garbage where as I think from personal viewing that the 837 when calibrated correctly rivals plasmas in pq.....

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytk03z /forum/post/18383957

I compared the 82" 837 with 737 side by side at my local bb

That's your first problem.

I'm betting you didn't check the configuration settings do you? Best Buy configures the more expensives models to look better??? Surely not!!!! lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
actually I did mess with settings... although I dont claim to be an expert, I do know what looks good to the naked eye.... I adjusted both sets to what I thought looked good in the given light settings of bb store... and no matter what I did the 837 looked better...

I am a hair trigger away from ordering the 82" 837 from dell, believe me... I wanted ever reason in the world to like the 737 just because of the price savings i would get on the 737 off from the 837, but alas I just wasnt happy with the picture...

My next step is tonight or tomorrow I will go back to best buy and hook up my PS3 and try God of War and see how the pq, input lag and response is....

but something that is really bothering me is that the 73"837 looks just a little better than the 82"... but in all honesty its no contest between the 737 and 837.. the 837 has clearly the better pq...

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytk03z /forum/post/18384919

actually I did mess with settings... although I dont claim to be an expert, I do know what looks good to the naked eye.... I adjusted both sets to what I thought looked good in the given light settings of bb store... and no matter what I did the 837 looked better...

I am a hair trigger away from ordering the 82" 837 from dell, believe me... I wanted ever reason in the world to like the 737 just because of the price savings i would get on the 737 off from the 837, but alas I just wasnt happy with the picture...

My next step is tonight or tomorrow I will go back to best buy and hook up my PS3 and try God of War and see how the pq, input lag and response is....

but something that is really bothering me is that the 73"837 looks just a little better than the 82"... but in all honesty its no contest between the 737 and 837.. the 837 has clearly the better pq...

1) No difference between 737 and C9 series... (except the max size in C9 is the 73"), so you're wasting money on even the 737.

2) All these sets use the same innards, same bulbs... That's why the smaller the size, a bit better the picture than the larger ones, because the same equipment can handle a smaller area.

3) The 837 blacks are a bit better, but DRASTICALLY, I don't think so. Most people on here got their 837s from some special deal, they'd usually tell you it's not worth the extra money for that little bit better black level, unless that's something you value considerably.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieSooner /forum/post/18385816

1) No difference between 737 and C9 series... (except the max size in C9 is the 73"), so you're wasting money on even the 737.

2) All these sets use the same innards, same bulbs... That's why the smaller the size, a bit better the picture than the larger ones, because the same equipment can handle a smaller area.

3) The 837 blacks are a bit better, but DRASTICALLY, I don't think so. Most people on here got their 837s from some special deal, they'd usually tell you it's not worth the extra money for that little bit better black level, unless that's something you value considerably.

Im starting to think you are right....... I went back to bb tonight and I fooled around with the settings some more (got a little more detailed) using different sources/media, etc.. and to be honest I think the 837 still looked a tiny bit better but I think it was due to the black levels... I mean if I rated the pq of the 837 and 737 on a scale of 1-10 and the 837 pq was a 10 then Id rate the 737 pq a 9.75 .... but now my overall opinion is that the 837 is not worth the big step up in price from the 737....

But now my dilemma is that I am not impressed with 737 or 837... I put in a blue ray of "twilight: new moon" in the 82"837 and I compared it to a samsung 55" led and it was night and day difference... The Samsung LED looked almost 3d to the naked eye... the 837 looked kind of movie theatre-ish, grainy.... I mean not a bad picture by any means..... My wife wants the 82"837 bad but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger now.. The one thing I was not able to do was view the 837 with hd broadcast channels such as ESPN hd since I watch alot of sports.....

I dont know I am very confused now....

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytk03z /forum/post/18386265

but now my overall opinion is that the 837 is not worth the big step up in price from the 737....

Exactly my opinion, too. For some people it's worth it, for me it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytk03z /forum/post/18386265

But now my dilemma is that I am not impressed with 737 or 837... I put in a blue ray of "twilight: new moon" in the 82"837 and I compared it to a samsung 55" led and it was night and day difference... The Samsung LED looked almost 3d to the naked eye... the 837 looked kind of movie theatre-ish, grainy.... I mean not a bad picture by any means..... My wife wants the 82"837 bad but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger now.. The one thing I was not able to do was view the 837 with hd broadcast channels such as ESPN hd since I watch alot of sports.....

Again check the settings. The LED will be on burn-your-eyes out brightness setting, the DLP won't be able to match it.

And the movie theatre-ish FEEL (I wouldn't call it grainy) is a characteristic of DLPs... It still feels like a projected image, like you get at the theatre. It's a plus for some people, a negative for others.

Look at it this way: the DLP is probably a drastic step up from whatever you've got now.

Also think of viewing distance. The DLP will have a longer functional viewing distance that you can benefit from 1080p with than the 55"... A 55" loses 1080p benefit from about 6 feet away. Whereas the 82" will be functional out to about 14' (over twice the distance).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17046387

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieSooner /forum/post/18386556

Exactly my opinion, too. For some people it's worth it, for me it's not.

Again check the settings. The LED will be on burn-your-eyes out brightness setting, the DLP won't be able to match it.

And the movie theatre-ish FEEL (I wouldn't call it grainy) is a characteristic of DLPs... It still feels like a projected image, like you get at the theatre. It's a plus for some people, a negative for others.

Look at it this way: the DLP is probably a drastic step up from whatever you've got now.

Also think of viewing distance. The DLP will have a longer functional viewing distance that you can benefit from 1080p with than the 55"... A 55" loses 1080p benefit from about 6 feet away. Whereas the 82" will be functional out to about 14' (over twice the distance).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17046387

Right now I have a Samsung 63" Pn63b550 plasma as my main living room tv and it is an amazing piece of electronics. In my bedroom I have the Sony 55" SXRD dlp (cant remember model but it was top of line at time when bought few years ago..) the sony still looks amazing even rivaling and sometimes bettering my Samsung plasma in livinig room. I just ordered from Dell.com the Vizio 47" sv472xvt LED (back lit/local dim) w/ internet and wifi..... I chose the vizio over the sony ex701 and lg ....

but getting back to the mits 737/837 I guess i wont really be able to make a definate decision on this tv until i get it in my house and try it out...but dont think thats gonna happen any time soon.... so... I guess I will just wait a little longer to see what Mits introduces for 2010....

can only wait now i guess...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts