AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My father has a Mitsubishi WD65733 DLP RPTV in his bedroom and has owned it for about 4 years now. Great tv and it gets used a lot. It's even on it's second bulb. The tv was fine up until a couple of days ago.

There is a stuck white spot on one side of the screen. Almost like a stuck pixel on an LCD screen. It is persistent. Will not go away with a power cycle and it's the same spot. I figured it could be a micromirror stuck in the ON position or something like that. Not sure if that is something that actually happens to DLP based displays. I've never heard of that before but I won't say it can never happen. Millions of microscopic mirrors flapping away... one is bound to break.

Anyway. I was wondering if you guys think that this is what it could be and is it fixable? The tv is more than likely out of the warranty period but up until the stuck pixel, the image has been fantastic so it would be a shame to dump it. Though it's pretty annoying to look at.

I do not have a picture of it but I could definitely take one when I leave the office if you guys need to see what it looks like.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Probably is. And it will get worse. That is pretty much the way to tell if the DLP chip is failing,,,,goes from one to 30 in a few days.

Yes it is fixable, if through Mitsu, whole LE has to be changed. If not, then the chip itself can be changed. Some have tried it on here, but I don't recommend it to the average user.

Good luck,

Jim

PS. I have one of those scheduled first thing in the morning for the same problem.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy response, Jim!

Hmmm... that is unfortunate. I will take another look to see if the warranty period is still good and if not then if it would be worth it to fix locally. I certainly don't think I'd want to attempt fixing a DMD myself.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74f100 /forum/post/20771654

Probably is. And it will get worse. That is pretty much the way to tell if the DLP chip is failing,,,,goes from one to 30 in a few days.

Yes it is fixable, if through Mitsu, whole LE has to be changed. If not, then the chip itself can be changed. Some have tried it on here, but I don't recommend it to the average user.

Good luck,

Jim

PS. I have one of those scheduled first thing in the morning for the same problem.

What percentage of DLPs develop stuck mirrors?

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 /forum/post/20772044

What percentage of DLPs develop stuck mirrors?

I have no idea on that, I just repair TV's. Manufacturers are probably the only ones with that data.

I've only seen it on Samsung and Mitsubishi, the others "I believe" aren't true DLPs.

Jim

If you end up out of Warranty, replacing the Chip should be far cheaper. I can check with a tech organization I work with and we'll see if we can find a servicer out on the left coast that has done that on the Mitsu's, its a little different than the Samsungs.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a small update.

My father has continued using the tv as it doesn't bother him too much. It's still in the same spot and has not grown in size or gotten worse. I believe the move will be to get a new display but since it doesn't bother him all that bad he will live with it until failure or if it just gets really bad.

It sure would bug the hell outta me but better to save couple grand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.