AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have what I assume from the manual is a VS-60803 (first gen Mitsubishi Diamondstar 60")

I ignorantly assumed that a progressive scan DVD player would work with it. Silly me... Works fine interlaced, but when I switch to progressive, the picture just goes totally nuts.

I'm assuming that I'm just screwed since it's a first generation HDTV, right?

The only inputs I have for component video I assume work only in interlaced mode. I can't find anything in the TV setup to change this.

The more blockades I hit with this POS television the more pissed I get at Mitsubishi (and at myself for having been stupid enough to buy it when it came out...)

Any suggestions? The DVD player is a Toshiba SD-3800.

Also, I've seen the HDTV receivers for these things, but I haven't seen anything that takes any other external inputs. Is there anything out there that will let me do some HD things in the future, such as DirecTV and such?

I'm hooked on my DirecTivo unit now, so won't go back to plain old OTA even for HD. I need to find solutions so I can actually do some things like high def satellite with this damn thing.

Thanks for any info. I'm on the verge of throwing this thing away and just getting a regular TV so I no longer feel the need to attempt something and find out it doesn't work with this particular piece of junk.

About a year ago when I first got my X-box, someone in this forum talked about a converter of some sort to switch from the one component (Y, Cr, Cb) to the HDTV input type (RGBHV). Anyone have any information on something like this?

John

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The search function on the boards finally let me in :) And I found a couple things. Would these suit my purpose?

http://www.audioauthority.com/aaccon...9a62detc.html5

and www.keydigital.com had a few video adapters as well.

According to each site, these take a YPrPb signal and convert them to VGA (RGBHV). My Mitsubishi supports RGBHV input as it's HDTV input.

If I used one of these, would I be able to use the progressive option on my DVD player?

Are there any other companies out there that do this type of converting?

Thanks for any help. If it weren't for this forum I'd be so totally lost and helpless. :)

John

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you can afford it, the Promise Module upgrade will add 480i/480p/1080i componant input to your Mits set. The official release date for the PM is Dec 15th. According to a CSR, Mits will update there website on DEC 15th with full specifications of the PM. The PM also adds OTA turner, IEEE1394 Firewire interface and more!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Embry
Promise Module...official release date for the PM is Dec 15th.

Uh huh.

Sure it is Bruce...:eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't think the Promise module will help you with viewing progressive signals. It's meant for HDTV "ready" sets. Please forgive if I'm wrong but the VS series is not HDTV ready. If it had a DTV input then it would be HDTV ready. But with only S-video and composite inputs you're out of luck. As for the component to RGB converter, again, if you don't have a digital (DTV) input (both component/RGB) you can't view progressive video.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Assuming that your model is HDTV capable (has a DTV input), you should be able to change the DTV input to handle 480p by making changes in the service menu.

The way to do this can be found in the Mitsubishi Tweaks forum on the HomerTheaterSpot http://www.***************.com . Note that you'll have to become a member to view the Tweaks section.

Also, you might try searching this forum for info as I believe the original solution to this problem was devised by a member of this forum.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My understanding is that your TV came out before it was determined how most HD sources would connect to the TV. Mitsubishi went with RGBHV. Component became the most common so on their website, they offered a kit ($300?) to convert RGBHV to component. I just checked their website and I cannot find the link. However, I do believe that the Promise Module is available for 03 models and will solve your problem, like Bruce said. Unfortunately, there are some growing pains with cutting edge technology. Before you get too upset with Mitsubishi, they are a major proponent of firewire which will allow for HD recording (unlike DVI). There is talk of Mits coming out with a firewire Dish receiver which should allow HD recording (HBO, Showtime...). Other companies are developing a HD PVR which will require the firewire connection for recording.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Erickson
I don't think the Promise module will help you with viewing progressive signals. It's meant for HDTV "ready" sets. Please forgive if I'm wrong but the VS series is not HDTV ready. If it had a DTV input then it would be HDTV ready. But with only S-video and composite inputs you're out of luck. As for the component to RGB converter, again, if you don't have a digital (DTV) input (both component/RGB) you can't view progressive video.
Hi Ken:

You're wrong and I forgive you. :D

I have the VS-60803. Although it has a 4:3 aspect ratio it is an HDTV ready set. Its quite versatile. When presented with a 480 line signal it locks into a full screen display, 4:3, 60 inch diagonal. When presented with a 540p or 1080i signal it locks into an anamorphic squeeze and letterboxes a high definition 16:9 image that is 55 inches on the diagonal.

Being a first generation HDTV this set has limitations and compromises are required. With a bit of playing in the service menu the set can display either:
  • *High definition (540p/1080i) and 480i

*480p and 480i

*High definition (540p/1080i) and 480p

It can't do all three (540p/1080i,480p and 480i)

I have opted for the last option. I get around the 480i limitation by using a Home Theater Computer to deinterlace all my 480i sources and send them as 480p to the HD input.

John:

I've attempted to provide you with a solution in response to your posting over at the Home Theater Spot
Mits 60803 inputs question

I read about the "PROMISE" for years and naturally I'm curious. Before you make any big investments it might be interesting to see what Mitsubishi is promoting. However, it would also be interesting to see which year December 15th turns out to be in. Remember what Mitsubishi did to us early adopters. :(

Larry

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi all,

Please forgive me, about the December 15 date. When I ordered the Promise Module on Nov 22, the CSR told me that the official release date was Dec 15th. Not knowing at the time that Dec 15th was on Sunday, that is want I have been informing everone. It is now clear that the CSR should had said the the web site would be updated on the 15th of DEC. It is possible that Mits will posting the fact sheet on the Promise Module on Sunday the 15th. So If they don't I will find some why to upload it to the forum after the 15th.

According to the email that I receive anyone can now call the CSR personal and ask for the fact sheet.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Hi Bruce:

I don't think you have any thing to apologize for if Mitsubishi releases this product this year.

I think the reaction you're seeing here is that Mits is good at making promises, after all that's why its called the "Promise Module", but they're not very good about making their promised dates.

What early adopter (read first generation HDTV owner) really had the patience to wait for the promised and over priced Mits STB? And then, to add injury to insult, were they really going to pay an extra $300 for a promised adapter for the privilege of buying an over priced STB? Why pay extra, wait a year for unecessary transcoding, when cheaper STBs, not requiring transcoding were immediately available? I just hope the marketing of the module doesn't turn out to be an other laughable, expensive adapter that only connects to other over priced Mitsubishi equipment.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I think Mits generally makes good products, and this module might be useful if it isn't over priced. I see that you are an early adopter for this technology and I sincerely hope you receive better treatment than the first generation HDTV early adopters. I know we all will be looking forward to hearing from you:
  • when you finally get your module
  • what it costs
  • how well it works, and
  • what, if anything, it will connect to on the day it is released.

Best of luck.

Larry

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi Larry,

Even the first generation Mits HD sets can be upgraded with the Promise Module.

You can connect Mits and JVC D-VHS recordes to the PM. Dish is coming out with Firewire only STB in a few months. There is a Firewire AV-Hardrive in the works that will add PVR like functions to the PM. There are other products planned.

The HD set that the PM is connected too, will maintain all functionality. So if you current set is limited to RGB-HV inputs, that is what you will still have after the PM is installed. The Promise Module is also comming with a new remote.

For Me I already have the SR-HD5 STB. After the PM is installed the SR-HD5 will connect to the DTV input on the Promise Module.

You have to remember that when Mits released the first generation HD sets, there was no standard for HD componant video. There is an adapter that you can buy from Mits that will add Componant Video support to your first generation set. So I think that Mits has not left the first gen owners out in the cold.

The Price of the PM is $995 installed. That price includes installation. You may say that is high. But even a new Samsung SIR-t165 cost around $600 to $700.

For me if I brought the Samsung then I would have to purchase an componant video switcher to still connect my SR-HD5 STB. These HD componant switcher generaly run in the $150 to $200 price range. Add the cost of the componant video switch, the Samsung , and extra componant video cable and you will approach the price of the Promise Module and be struck with another remote.

The Promise Module also supports HAVi, which is required to use the new Dish Firewire only STB. So before anyone can say that the Promise Module is overprice, they should look at the total cost of using other equipment.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi Larry,

The following infromation is from the Promise Module Fact Sheet.

================================================

For the following models of Mitsubishi HD-upgradeable TVs

(Group 1 models):

o VS-50800

o VS-50803

o VS-60803

o VS-70803

o VS-80803

o WS-65903

o WS-73903

Input-DTV is compatible with RGB with separate horizontal and vertical

synchronization signals with a scanning rate of 1080i at 30Hz. When used

with these models, the Input-DTV on the Promise Module cannot receive

signals with any other scanning rates such as 480i, 480p or 720p. Signals

with different scanning rates must be converted to 1080i by the external

DTV receiver. When used with Group 1 models and a DTV receiver that

provides only Component (YPbPr) signals, you need to use a component

video to RGB video adapter, model RGB-CV10. This can be obtained

from Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. by calling (800) 553-7278

or from our web site at www.mitsubishi-tv.com.

=====================================================

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Hi Bruce:

Thanks very much. You provided a lot of excellent and helpful information that I couldn't find on the Mitsubishi web site. Are you sure you're not a Mitsubishi employee?;)

Quote:
You have to remember that when Mits released the first generation HD sets, there was no standard for HD componant video. There is an adapter that you can buy from Mits that will add Componant Video support to your first generation set. So I think that Mits has not left the first gen owners out in the cold.
Not to beat a dead horse, as I stated in my previous posting I am aware of the adapter. What I was taking exception to was why should it be necessary to use it, or at least why not cut their first HDTV customers a break. It wasn't that first generation owners were totally left out in the cold, it was their first customers were having their wallets picked. After all it was their first customers who were willing to spend the extra dough that positioned Mits where they are today. Why stick it to them with a $300 adapter to connect to an overdue and over priced STB?

Other STBs released before the long promised Mits STB had both component and VGA input for a lot less. Personally I think Mits made the right decision to release their first generation HDTV with RGBHV, but the wrong decision to not include VGA in their STB. Not to be an input elitist, :D but I believe I read somewhere that these types of connections are superior to component and are used in high-end projectors and professional applications. I think everyone else got the component standard wrong. ;) So now that I have a superior connection, why would I want to compromise it up by transcoding the signal? :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant, but this is an old sore point with me, I guess I'll just have to deal with it. :eek:

As I said I believe that technically Mits is pretty good, and as my wife complains, "You spend more time with your Mits than me!!"

Cheers,

Larry

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
For Me I already have the SR-HD5 STB. After the PM is installed the SR-HD5 will connect to the DTV input on the Promise Module.
Bruce,

this may be wishful thinking but with what you described above will the PM be able to take the signals in from the SR-HD5 stb and send them out via 1394 to a D-VHS unit to record D* HBO-HD?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Bruce,

this may be wishful thinking but with what you described above will the PM be able to take the signals in from the SR-HD5 stb and send them out via 1394 to a D-VHS unit to record D* HBO-HD?
That was wishful thinking on my part too!. I will be switching to Dish when they release the Model 211 STB next year which should allow us to record HBO-HD.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:
That was wishful thinking on my part too!. I will be switching to Dish when they release the Model 211 STB next year which should allow us to record HBO-HD.
Earth to Bruce:

"Us" (Mits TV owners included) have been recording HBO-HD for the past three years using a variety of equipment, none of it manufactured by Mits.

While the PM was announced ~31 months (!) ago, I am not aware of anyone who has recorded squat with it.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Hi Larry,

The following infromation is from the Promise Module Fact Sheet.

================================================

For the following models of Mitsubishi HD-upgradeable TVs

(Group 1 models):

o VS-50800

o VS-50803

o VS-60803

o VS-70803

o VS-80803

o WS-65903

o WS-73903

Input-DTV is compatible with RGB with separate horizontal and vertical

synchronization signals with a scanning rate of 1080i at 30Hz. When used

with these models, the Input-DTV on the Promise Module cannot receive

signals with any other scanning rates such as 480i, 480p or 720p. Signals

with different scanning rates must be converted to 1080i by the external

DTV receiver. When used with Group 1 models and a DTV receiver that

provides only Component (YPbPr) signals, you need to use a component

video to RGB video adapter, model RGB-CV10. This can be obtained

from Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. by calling (800) 553-7278

or from our web site at www.mitsubishi-tv.com.

=====================================================

Hi Bruce:

When the RGB-CV10 first came out, it had this same single 1080i scanning rate limitation. A lot of folks who didn't want to wait for it, pay $300, or limit themselves to a single scanning rate, bought less expensive, more versatile component to VGA transcoders. (Naturally these folks weren't interested in the marginal convenience of using the Mits remote to control things.)

In my case, I wasn't interested in doing any unnecessary transcoding, paying for any transcoders of any brand, or limiting my RGBHV input to just 1080i. And today I'm still not interested in limiting my Mits to a single scanning rate.

Back then, with the help of an individual we believe to have been a Mits employee, I was able to modify his original instructions to discover a means of using the service menu to overcome that single scanning rate limitation. The three pairs of resolutions I quoted in my initial posting were the result of that discovery. Here they are again:

Quote:
Being a first generation HDTV this set has limitations and compromises are required. With a bit of playing in the service menu the set can display either:
  • High definition (540p/1080i) and 480i
  • 480p and 480i
  • High definition (540p/1080i) and 480p
As I mentioned in my original posting I use the last pair of resolutions to display both 540p/1080i and 480p sources. In addition, I can view 480i sources by first de-interlacing them with my HTPC and sending the line doubled signal to the RGBHV input.

You stated:

Quote:
The HD set that the PM is connected too, will maintain all functionality. So if you current set is limited to RGB-HV inputs, that is what you will still have after the PM is installed.
It is your understanding that my RGBHV inputs will either remain where they are, or be transferred to the Promise Module intact, and my service menu changes will continue to provide the same added flexibility as they currently have?

In other words would I be able to continue to use the RGBHV inputs and service menu changes, and accept a new digital input as well without compromising the my current dual scanning rate functionality?

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Thanks very much Bruce:

After I ready it, I'm sure there will be questions to kick around with everyone.

Larry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.