AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Mitsubishi WS-55813. I have Cox Communication's Digital HDTV Motorola DCT5100 set top box, which is connected to the TV with Component Monster Cable. The High Definition stations look FANTASTIC. I have no complaints there. Digital stations (HBO, Showtime, Starz, TNT, USA, MTV and so forth) look OK, but could be better. They have a bit of grain to them. Standard stations (CBS, NBC, Fox, UPN) look TERRIBLE. The is so much grain and snow, that at times is so bad, that I can't take it. Other than using AVIA to max out the settings... is there anything else that I can do to make the quality better... or am I doing something wrong.

My last RPTV (VS-50803) was never this bad looking with HDTV cable. What can I do?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Same HDTV cable box that you used with the 50803? That doesn't quite make sense. The TV shouldn't know the difference between SD and HD if the cable box is doing its job properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check your connections carefully.

I just went thru four days of head scratching trying to solve a similar problem.

I don't have HD cable but do have digital all my digitals were coming thru fine but the standard was a snowy mess. Also worked fine on my old TV.

Ended up being the coax input on the cable box. I still not sure if it is the actual box or the coax yet but if I wiggle the terminal right at the box I can fix the problem. Still has me puzzled as to why this only affected the standard channels.

Once again check carefully, I didn't catch this thru numerous re-hookups & checks.

If all else fails see if your Cable company will take a look. I even scheduled a service before I found the problem. Think I'm going to get a upgraded box out of the deal.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I will experiment over this weekend and post my results next week. I am going to try several different ways. Changing the cables and types of connections, try a different input on the TV, switch the actual cable box. I'll let everyone know what happends.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Any updates skfields01?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have found that SD on the component cables looks bad. Mainly because the box is upconverting 480i to 1080i. This is a bad thing. 480i to 480p is fine and the Mits has a good line doubler. So what you should do is run S-video from the box to another input on the TV for SD. That way the the box leaves the signal at 480i and the TV bumps it to 480p. This has worked well for me. It is a pain changing inputs but the quality of picture is worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.