AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been looking around for a widescreen television for awhile now and I've decided on Mitsubishi. The only problem is, is that I can't decide which model to get. I really like the Silver Plus, but the Diamond would be so much cooler. Are the extras on the Diamond worth the $1500 price difference between the two?

The main differences seem to be the 9" CRTs, Anti-Glare shield and the 3 1080i inputs. Not to mention how much cooler it looks. :p

Money isn't really an problem, but getting the Diamond would take a couple more months than the Silver Plus. Thanks for any advice ahead of time. I read around on this forum and it's been very helpful so far.

I'd post the link for mitsubishi's homepage, but it won't let me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have an older Diamond (WS-65909), so I can't say for sure how much better the 9" CRTs look. I have read that they are wonderful though. Kind of wish mine had them... I recently had mine calibrated by an ISF Tech, and he did comment on how much better built the Diamond Series was, than the lesser models. Plus, he had a LOT more options in the service menu for adjusting than he was used to, which is only a good thing too!

The inputs are very good! But, are you sure they're all 1080i inputs, and not (1) 1080i and (2) 480i/p?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the 55413, but my advice to you would be if you are going 65 get the 9 inch guns. I do think they will make a big difference. I was told by someone I trust that the Difference in the Diamond is the shield and the guns. I dropped down to 55 to save some money and the 7 inch work fine. Plus I take the shield off so the expensive one on the Diamond would have been a waste.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by audiom3
But, are you sure they're all 1080i inputs, and not (1) 1080i and (2) 480i/p?
I'm not totally sure since I don't know all that much about these tvs, but the specs on mitsu's homepage say, "Three 1080i inputs". That was just a difference I noticed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I purchased the WS-65-813 a while ago. I sit 14' from the TV so I needed as large a picture as I could since I sit so far back. The 813 is extremely bright and is evenly distributed throughout the screen surface. I bought it mainly because it showed the best contrast compared to LCD or even DLPs. Plus for the price, it was cheaper than the other. The component inputs are 1080i, but I use the DVI input for the D* receiver. Only my DVD is plugged into the comppnent.

I took off the glare screen since I thought the picture was better looking without. The sound is pretty good. The multiple media reader is pretty good and easy to use. I had some friends over who have other units and they thought this was one of the best pictures they have seen especially for HD. The 9" guns really make a difference. I compared at about five different locations so I could see the TV against other TVs in different lighting.

Hope this helps.

-Richard

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiom3
But, are you sure they're all 1080i inputs, and not (1) 1080i and (2) 480i/p?
All 480i-1080i compatible

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Ok, the 413 and 813 series all have 3 1080i compatible inputs. Actually, they have 4. Two sets are 480i/480p/1080i Component inputs. Another set is for component AND rgb-hv. The last is DVI. All support the same resolutions (better to say 'timings'). The 65813 also has a VGA connector, which the manual states is only for 640x480, but we know that is not correct, it can handle 1080i timings just fine.

The 813 also has an integrated tuner, as mentioned before, which will allow you to hook up an antenna to pick up OTA ATSC signals. With the 413 series, you'll need a external tuner/receiver.

The 813 series has a Firewire port, which IMO is the feature that really goes for this series. While it may not seem too important right now, I have a feeling having a Firewire port in the future will pay off.

I have read the 9" guns in the 65813 only help with the light output (brightness) of the set, don't get me wrong, it is a good thing. Several owners have said the 9" guns do not offer any more resolution, as many have thought it would.

I purchased a 413 series, due to two reasons: I already had an ATSC tuner, two actually, and money. It would have taken me a few more months to save up for a 813 series.

On that note, if money isn't the problem, I would go with the 813, just because it offers everything Mits offers. I'm just hoping not having a firewire port doesn't come back to bite me in the a$$, but I'll tackle that hill when I come to it.

Happy shopping.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taz291819
... The 813 series has a Firewire port, which IMO is the feature that really goes for this series. While it may not seem too important right now, I have a feeling having a Firewire port in the future will pay off. ...
Mayb not. I heard from a knowledgeable source (High-end A/V store owner/g.m./Mits dealer/friend) that Mits canned their lead FireWire proponent a month ago. We may have seen the end of FireWire on these RPTVs.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
So why did Congress pretty much force firewire into cable boxes? The new Dish reciever has one and DirecTv already said if the industry pushes for it, so will they.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You can interpret the canning of Mits's FireWire proponent in many different ways. I don't know. FireWire surely make the MPAA nervous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.