AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I get a Mitsubishi WS-65711 (Diamond Series).

I am in the market for a 65' and want it to have a great picture.

Do you all think that Mitsubishi will stick to its Upgradable Promise and if technology goes to DVI - give people who buy their TVs that upgrade (at a price)?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
i TOOK A CLOSE LOOK AT THIS MO0DEL WHILE AT TWEETER TODAY. They had it listed for $5k. I had gone in to order the Samsung HLN61 for the same price. The Mitsu is truly a beautiful set. Here is why I decided against it. Here iss what I listed as pro's and con's. The buold quality is outstanding, the xound system was excellent, net commander is excellent, the picture was as sharp as I have ever seen on a rear projection model TV. But it has only a 50:1 contrast ratio which makes it a far darker display than the 1000:1 Samung. Mitsu will back the promise program and you should feel comfortable buying one of their sets. This particular set is ny far the best crt based rear projection in the market.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Jafftaz

If you want a great picture, then you're on the right track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are looking at that t.v. might I suggest the ws-65712 the cabinet is gloss black and looks great, and the screen has a smaller pitch .52

·
Registered
853 Posts
Quote:
But it has only a 50:1 contrast ratio which makes it a far darker display than the 1000:1
This is a virtually meaningless specification. These measurements are taken utilizing a 100 IRE window pattern, and Full-On / Full-Off readings.

This in no manner represents actual program material in real world conditions. Of course DLP will be brighter in Full On, and in Full Off (no signal present) when there is no light output. However, measure at 80 IRE and 20IRE and there is quit a different story, as light is still reaching the chip.

The more important aspect of this is Dynamic Range, and in most instances in the consumer world, a properly calibrated CRT RPTV will yield a greater degree of program contrast than any current DLP set (not to mention better color space performance).

I am not down on DLP technology, but I hope that newbies do not make buying decisions on specifications that do not overtly contribute to an accurate performance assessment.

(Does a 100 watt, chip-based, powerpack IC amplifier play louder than a high current, discrete design, 50 watt amplifier?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.