AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a technophile at all. I have a 65" Mitsubishi TV that I bought about 4 years ago. On the back, it has inputs for component video, DTV and also three IEEE 1394 connections. I'm interetsed in purchasing a DVD player (HD or HD upconversion) to take advantage of the hi-def capabilities. I keep reading about HDMI and DVI inputs but my TV apparently does not have either. What is the best choice for me, and the best way to connect the DVD to experience DVDs in high definition? Or is it even possible with my setup? Hope this makes sense to someone.

·
Registered
15,287 Posts
There are some off-brand upscaling DVD players that upscale over component (a search will help you identify them), but that is not the same thing is high def DVDs (DVDs are SD, and no upscaling will ever look as good as true high def). High def players (HD-DVD and BD) will allow you to watch true high def movies over component, but will not upscale SD DVDs over component. So yes, you can watch high def movies on your display with an HD-DVD or BD player.

·
Registered
572 Posts
that was a long answer to say simply:

Buy a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player

1 - 3 of 3 Posts