Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Yall,

I am looking to take a big leap up from my current 2 year "old" 55inch Toshiba and have found these monsters from Mitsubishi.

They boast 9" crt drivers which I have read in some forums aid in greater detail and brightness.

I don't have a dedicated theater room but am enlarging the hole in the wall to accomidate any future set I could buy, and this fellow is a biggie.

Has anyboy heard about this new set?

I don't see to much talk about the issue of 7 vs 8 vs 9 inch crt drivers, whats the opinions on this topic.

Thoughts, comments, you nuts NW-Ricardo..

Thanks

Ric

·
Registered
853 Posts
There are many myths that surround larger CRT sizes.

9" CRTs might (on average) yield only 10%-15% more light output, so it is not the bonanza one might suppose.

Additionally, the perceived benefit of extra raster room in which to "paint" out the full information content in a 1080i signal is actually lost in a RPTV application due to the lenticular screen masking details smaller than the lenticular "ribs".

Another aspect of the 9" CRT in an RPTV configuration is the "throw" distance. Getting focus in the corners with such a short throw is very difficult, and for certain you will want to get the set looked at by a calibrator to ensure you are getting all the performance engineered in to come out.

Also, be aware that the power supply for these sets is apt to be beefed up versus a 7" platform, and along with that is potential repair expense that is greater (both due to limited production - that is, it is not shared across as many platforms, and whatever is associated with enhanced capability).

These might be candidates for (effective) extended warranties.

As a tradeoff to front projection, it will give you a large "enough" image in many applications, with better black level and possibly more accurate colorimetry (assuming it is calibrated).

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I understand that the recommended minimum viewing distance for these sets is 9 feet, not for the field of view, but rather that it's the minimum distance at which the set doesn't crush you if it tips over :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
87 Posts
:cool: I am about to purchase the 73411. Those who have seen these sets and last years model are in awe of its PQ and of coarse its size. 9" guns do make a difference. Compare the 73 411 or the 73711 to any other large RPTV and you would be hard pressed to find a better picture. Take the plunge! You and your friends will be well rewarded.:D :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMHO and based on my experience as an ISF calibrator for 6 years, the most optimum seating distance for the current HD RPTV 1080i/480p units is 4 times the pic height.

It is not so far as to lose the impact but far enough to allow the eyes and brain to merge all visual data and anomalies back into a reasonably smooth and seamless image.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ric,

I have had a 73903 for almost four years, ISFed twice, and I have yet to see any non front projection system that can touch it on HD material. (I'm waiting for the 1920 by 1080 digital front projector to come out). Highly recommended in some recent magazine tests also. I do not try to watch much SD satellite or OTA though. Only DVDs or better.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi All,

If you want and RPTV that size and you are happy with the picture, then go and buy it. With the 73 inch screen, you will need the bigger CRTs to create a bright picture compare to the 55 inch screens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.