Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mitsubishi WS65513

I have had this TV for a little over two months. I am VERY satisfied with the picture quality. I am receiving my HDTV signal with an OTA antenna. However their a few technical problems that I wanted to share information about. Two are what I would consider minor and two not so minor.

I have not seen any other postings so don’t know if this is isolated or if there are few owners from which to gather any data. I have reported this to retailer and have also reported this to Mitsubishi. I will detail the four issues and the status of the resolutions since this is a repair call in progress. All four issues were called into Mitsubishi Operational Support. They opted to have a Mitsubishi Technical Support call me back. Technical support called and said they would like to have a local service technician look at the TV.

The issues:

1. TV picture was freezing and turning off only when tuned to digital PBS. I learned from the forums that the local PBS station was having problems with their PSIP data stream. I could tune away and tune back to the channel, but once the problem signal was encountered again, the same thing would happen. I was not sure that this was normal behavior. Mitsubishi Operational Support did not think so and wanted to have a local technician look at the TV. So they gave me a number to someone local to schedule a service call. The local PBS station has since cleaned up their signal problem which lasted for about two weeks. When the service technician arrived he said he could do nothing since the problem was no longer occurring. There was nothing he could investigate on the TV. I know you want a problem to be repeatable to troubleshoot and this was no longer happening. I was optimistic that the service tech could run some diagnostics on the TV even if the problem was no longer happening. That was my assumption and a wrong one at that. Problem Resolved - at least according to the service tech. It is a concern that a signal could be bad enough to cause a TV to turn itself off.

2. Small portions of the On Screen Display (OSD) are staying on screen after clearing the menu. This is happening on the DTV input which I have an OTA antenna connected. This happens when using either the TV menu or Device menu and issuing a command to clear the screen. Changing channels does not clear the OSD. Changing channels will not correct this. Changing inputs may clear this, but mostly I have to turn off the TV. I explained this happens every few days and I probably would not be able to reproduce this in his presence. The service technician once again said if he could not see this happen in his presence he could do nothing about it.

3. Contrast and Color levels settings not retained. The color level is changing to high and the contrast is changing to 63 for various inputs. Sometimes all inputs change to these settings and other times only isolated inputs change. I think, but have not been able to confirm that changing something in the TV menu causes these settings to not be retained. I have not been able to spend time to try to isolate what the specific cause is. The service technician once again said if he could not see this happen in his presence he could do nothing about it.

4. Using the compact flash input to display pictures was not working properly. Of 21 jpg files on the compact flash, only 13 would display and of the 13, not all would have a thumbnail display. By the way, there is nothing in documentation as to what the jpeg requirements are. All the jpg files were generated on a 3.1 mega pixel digital camera and where about 700-800k in size. The service technician said that the problem was with the compact flash media card and asked if I could try another card. Unfortunately I only have the one 128mb card. I said that the card was functioning fine in my Pocket PC and I could read all the files just fine.

The service tech called into to Mitsubishi support to check in. They informed him of a board problem which may be causing the jpg display problem. Mitsubishi asked the service tech to order a replacement board. We will schedule another service call once the service tech has the new board.

I have to say I am disappointed in the results of the service call. Is this typical of what usually happens during a service call from a Mitsubishi Service Technician, meaning if they can’t see the problem in their presence they say they can do nothing about it? Or is this typical of just this particular service tech?

I had expectations that the service tech would be able to run diagnostics of some sort on the TV. Perhaps I gave them more credit than they deserve. Is there any troubleshooting that can be done by the service tech, or was he taking the easy way out?

Is anyone else experiencing any of these problems? If so I would like to know if they are ongoing or if you have had a fix for them.

Bryan

·
Registered
115 Posts
Call the dealer you purchased the TV from and return it. Either for a new replacement or for your $$$ back.

Don't waste your time trying to get it serviced.

HTH

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a Mits and experienced trying to get it serviced? Just wondering what your perspective is? Are these issues serious enough that I should expect to be able to get the set replaced?

Bryan

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kipp,

Thanks for the heads up. I already knew how to set the contrast and color temp for multiple inputs. There truely is a problem with the settings not being retained.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I would echo Kschorz' comments. I've had a 65613 since November. The first one I received showed symptoms similar to #1 that you provide. Within days the power supply went belly up completely and the TV would not power on. The replacement set I was given has not exhibited any of the symptoms you refer to.

You're describing enough errant behavior that I would push for a replacement rather than trying to fix each issue one by one...

-Dan

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as returning a TV, what kind of resistance can I expect from the retailer. I am actually not interested in a return, but a new TV as a replacement. It is a Mitsubishi dealer here in town. They are also a custom home theater designer/builder with a good reputation.

I am glad you guys can polk fun at the 3pm mfg time on a Friday. You give me the warm fuzzies. Thanks so much. :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The return exchange policy is up to the retailer. Call them and tell them the issues and that you're looking at multiple service calls on a new set that may or may not fix the issues. State you feel you got a lemon and (it happens from all manufacturers) you want a new in box replacement set. If they resist/deny you this then make it clear your next big ticket electronics purchase will be elsewhere. That's about all you can do. Unfortunately the smaller retailers don't usually have as liberal return policy as the big boxers which is why I buy at the large chains. I know the small boutiques usually carry the higher end models but even those can be defective ...then the battle begins. I had to exchange 4 sets-3brands before getting a working sample. Such is the state of the industry. I've also found that purchasing extended warranty (which I HATE) can give you better return response from some retailers. Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.