AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have build a HTPC and I have a Asus Geforce video card. Using Powerstirp I have been able to get 480P to input into the tv using the VGA connector.

Is it possible to get 1080i to input through this VGA input? If so, has anyone had any luck doing so? Or would I be better off getting an ATI card and using the component video breakout cable that is available?

Even at 480P I am pretty unhappy with the picture quality. Am I doing something wrong? What is the best resolution combination people are using?

I really only use CDJ from Nirvis right now...I hope eventually do more with my HTPC but I am still pretty much a newbe.

If anyone has any experience with this and if you have the powerstrip settings you are using.......it would be greatly appreaciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Its my understanding that the input on the VGA port is very limited.

You should be using a VGA breakout cable to your DTV inputs. RGBHV

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Connect your HTPC to the DTV input. 5 wires, set is labeled RGBVH.

With Nvidia card you should be able to get up to 960/540p (custom timing) to work on your set too.

If you haven't found this thread go here for more info:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/sup...ffnotes_17.htm

With a HD tv card such as MyHD (as I have) you can realize a full 1080i resolution, on your Mits set.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teeps,

It seems to me one of the short comings of the Mits is that there is only one set of component video inputs that support 1080i. I currently use my Yamaha VX1 to do high def video switching. Having my xbox, dvd player and hd sat receiver, I am maxed out on my switching power.

Using the VGA input on the tv I have been able to force the tv to accept 1080i (1920x1080 at 30hz) but the picture quality is poor and the screen image does not "fit" - it over scans and I am unable to adjust edges to fit without losing sync.

I have been able to get the tv to accept 848x480 at 60hz and the picture quality is very good.

I am curious about this 540p solution. Do you have the exact settings that you have adjusted power strip to get this to work at?

I might be able to try it and get it to work throught the vga port. If it works that would be the best thing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Teeps,

It seems to me one of the short comings of the Mits is that there is only one set of component video inputs that support 1080i. I currently use my Yamaha VX1 to do high def video switching. Having my xbox, dvd player and hd sat receiver, I am maxed out on my switching power.

Using the VGA input on the tv I have been able to force the tv to accept 1080i (1920x1080 at 30hz) but the picture quality is poor and the screen image does not "fit" - it over scans and I am unable to adjust edges to fit without losing sync.

I have been able to get the tv to accept 848x480 at 60hz and the picture quality is very good.

I am curious about this 540p solution. Do you have the exact settings that you have adjusted power strip to get this to work at?

I might be able to try it and get it to work throught the vga port. If it works that would be the best thing.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I use the timings on the web page; linked in previous post.

Yes, one DTV input sucks. I am using a simple mechanical vga switch to change sources (currently only two.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those of you who are interested, if you own a Mits ws65909 you can input 480P, 540P, and 1080i into the vga port even though the manual says otherwise.

After hours of exhausting work, I am now outputing 960x540 and the picture is outstanding.

Onlly a few things left to do, fix a minor overscanning problem and find out what is causing shadows in the screen when using the htpc.

Anyone know of an easy way to adjust the overscanning problem?

·
Registered
533 Posts
There are two ways to deal with the overscanning on the Mits. You can try and reduce the overscan with the TV's service menu which is not for the faint of heart (guess how I know) or you can program your video card to output something like 920x500 within the 960x540 timings. Here are the PowerStrip values I use to do this:

Scan Rate 33.278

Horizontal 920, FP 106, SW 80, BP 102, total 1208

Refresh Rate 59.214

Vertical 500, FP 28, SW 8, BP 26, total 562

These numbers pretty much eliminate overscan for me on my 65" Mits being driven via an Ati 9000Pro into the rgbhv connection. You will probably have to make changes to the numbers to work with your set. As an aside a cheap mechanical switcher will handle the input switching as well as an expensive vga switcher ( at least until the mechanical contacts begin to corrode). There also isn't much point in trying to get 1920x1080 this way since the current crop of sw DVD players will not work with it (under XP interlaced is out/disabled depending on who you ask). I only know of a few ways to acheive interlaced HD res DVD playback, buy a MyHD/HiPix HD board and play rips, get the Ati dongle and play rips, use Windows 9x and either a Matrox or Ati video board with old drivers or get a Holo3D board and scale everything.

Cheers...

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jesseasi
For those of you who are interested, if you own a Mits ws65909 you can input 480P, 540P, and 1080i into the vga port even though the manual says otherwise.
I'm currently using a Faroudja NRS at 540P with my WS65909 connected to the DTV input. However, I'm going to switch to using a HTPC with an HD tuner card and a Holo3D card in the very near future. In order to evaluate some of my hook up options, I went out and bought a VGA monitor extension cable today and hooked the NRS up to the VGA input. As jesseasi says, it works fine - the only significant difference is that there aren't as many video adjustments available on the VGA input (Sharpness isn't available, for example).

I have a question though - whenever I select the VGA input, the TV displays a message telling me to enable the screen saver on my PC. I can get rid of the message by pressing the Cancel button on the remote. Does this happen to anyone else?

Having this input available opens up some options for me, as it allows me to connect the HD tuner card to one input and the video card output to the other input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.