AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in buying a Mitsubishi x70 or it's clone the Polaroid 350 and I have a few questions...

- what is the real difference between the X70 and the new x70ux. I've noticed they put in a new lamp. It's a SHP in stead of UHP. Can someone tell me the difference and what benefits the SHP lamp has.

- Looking at the specs the Polaroid 350 seems to be a clone of the older x70. Is that correct? Has Polaroid also started to clone the newer x70ux and under what partnumber then? On their website they also mention the 350i but I can't find anywhere what's the difference between the 350 and the 350i.

- more general... are there people out there who own a x70 or x70ux (or maybe even a Polaroid 350) and how do they like it. Do you have any problems with it? What are the good and bad sides?

- and what about some comparison tests done by any members here. I saw watchdoc's posting on the Mits. X400. Although I would love to by something like that, for the moment it's just to expensive (and I haven't found a used unit yet which is in my price range).

Any input is highly appreciated.

Groetjes (dutch for greetings),

Willem

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are there no x70 users reading this forum or are they all so happy that they don't need this forum? Is there nothing to tweak, nothing to improve...?

I'm just curious and hoping to get some feedback before spending a lot of money on a projector. It's really difficult with no shops where you can go and do a comparison.

So any input is highly appreciated.

Willem

By the way... I really like this forum. Within the 10 days that I'm reading it, I learned more then I thought I would ever know on projectors. Unfortenately it also makes you aware of all the problems with each projector and making it clear that the perfect projector is still in the making (with a reasonable pricetag at least). And so, the choice of projector becomes "what's the best compromise", and that is very difficult.

· Registered
23 Posts
I have access to a Mitsubishi X70 that I take home from time to time. Given that I have nothing to compare it to other than a Sony 10HT I'd say that it was probably a fine projector at the time of its release but that was some time ago. I have found that screen door is visible unless I back the focus off a bit, and although you can tweak *many* of the color settings I have yet to find an acceptable skintone after many hours of fiddling. I also think the scaler could probably look better. An HTPC might help, but I haven't ever tried one.

Of course, given that this is the only model I have access to and I didn't have to pay for the darn thing myself-- it's hard to complain. ;-)

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Gloomboy,

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I was looking for. I quickly took a look at the Sony 10HT review on projectorcentral and they already said the screendoor was worse on the Sony then on the LP350 they compared it to. Which means the x70 has an even worse screendoor effect. How much do you have to compromise in sharpness to make it "unvisible"? Since you can't get the color right, what's wrong with it. To green/yellow/blue?

Also, what did you think about the brightness and contrast of the x70?

Does the x70 have dead pixels or other "faults"?

Again, thanks for your input?

Willem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.