AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Mitsubishi X70UX about a week ago ( to replace my aging Sharpvision XVH37U ) , and I have a problem with it while using it for video. There seems to be vertical streaks in the image when running video with it ( the streaks are hard to describe , kind of like paint runs on a wall ) . It really shows up badly when showing a large solid color object on the screen ( the program guide on my dish network receiver and my DVD players setup screen ) , but it is also visible while watching dvd's or TV. I have swapped out the s-video cable and tried component out from the dvd, the problem is still there. I have checked the screen and it is flat and clean ( the problem also shows up when projecting on a white wall ). When using the VGA port with a computer, the streaks do not appear.

I really like the color on the X70UX , and this unit seems to have good contrast. It's plenty bright for my needs. The unit has no dead pixels. If I cant get this worked out, I'll have to send it back and try a NEC 540K.

Thanks...

Greg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Greg,

I have the mits lvp-s250u & believe i might know what you are talking about. Do the vertical lines vary in darkness, like one is bighter than the next, & the pattern continues across the whole screen? If this is what it looks like, i have a similar problem. I was told it was due to the software that i was playing, eg the dvd movies that i was watching. I have been able to eliminate it to a fair extent by now using my pc dvd player & changing the refresh frequency up to 80hz & running it at the highest possible resolution , for me that is 1180x860 or something like that.

Let me know if your problem is a bit lkie mine. Would like to discuss it further if they seem similar.

cheers

Dean

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes ,the problem I'm having sounds like what you describing.

I watched Unbreakable on it and the bars were driving me crazy in the darker scenes. I bought a high quality s-video cable ( monster cable ) and it seem to help a bit. I also switched my Pioneer DVD player from Cinema black to standard mode on the picture settings on it. This also helped a bit. The bars almost completely disappear when using the component input with progressive scan output on the DVD player. The problem is that the DVD player is about 30 feet from the projector and I don't have a component cable long enough to reach it.

I've e-mailed Mitsubishi on the problem, this was the response....

"Greeting Greg,

Yes you are correct about the faint vertical bars in the background in the video mode.

Some people can see this and some can not.

This issue with the vertical bars is NOT a defect with our projectors.

Nothing can be done to correct what you are seeing, this is the nature of our projectors.

Please call us if you like at 888-307-0309.

Regards,

Mitsubishi Support

Jung, Calvin <[email protected]>"

I'm still may send the X70 back and swap it for a NEC 540K.

I may try a DVDO iscan on it and see if it helps.

Greg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Greg:

Glad you shared your response from Mitsubishi. I would send that sucker back if I were you. I was about to order an X80U, but I am troubled by the line "this is the nature of our projectors" and by their insistence that the defect you are seeing is NOT (for some reason) a defect. Say WHAT? It is NOT acceptable for a manufacturer to take that position when most LCD projectors have no such problem.

BTW, I auditioned the VT540 for a couple of weeks, and if screen door doesn't bother you (and I was using a big screen), I think you will like the VT540. Surprisingly good shadow detail, nice color, more than adequate brightness even in the eco-mode with lights out (I could even turn on a table lamp and enjoy the picture and still stay in eco-mode, which provides, as you know, a 3000-hour lamp life). I thought the 540 lacked something in sharpness, but this was on a screen 9 feet wide and in comparison to an Infocus LP350, which is a notably sharp machine but otherwise no match for the 540.

Just my two cents worth.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Greg,

Just to add a bit more detail to this story, by the way i live in Australia if you hadn't noticed, I complained very much to mitsubishi when i started seeing the verticle bar problem & at first i thought it was some sort of scan line problem.What happened next was really funny by annoying. They requested the unit back so they could test it.Ok, fair enough, no cost to me.When i finally rang them for some info,i was told they had checked it out using a computer through the d-plug input.Indiots. I proceeded to tell them that if they had read my note enclosed in the box it would have told them to use s-video & dvd material. Of course they replied that they could not see a problem.Don't know if they even tested it with the correct video input.

On return of the unit i was back on the phone to complain again as now there were purple patches all over the screen, someone had put fingerprints on the inside of the lens, including some dust patches.So back it went again.

On return again, i complained that the original vertical line problem was still there, so they agreed to come to my place & check it out. They brought with them 2 other models, the S50U & X70U. The x70 is xga res, while the s50 is svga.When comparing these 3 units against each other, we were all very surprised.My unit, the S250U WITH 1500 lumen brightness was the best performer. The vertical lines were very evident with both of the other 2 units, while mine was watchable, you had to look very closely.The other 2 units, the x70 being more expensive, did not handle the video signal anywhere near as well as my unit, this stunned everyone. I had 2 mitsub reps standing with no real explanation.

Well, that gives you a little bit of info. I still have my unit, well, not exactly, it's now back at the service center with lamp problems. The lamp would arc on startup & shut down right away. The lamp only had 1400 hours on it & just before this problem occurred, i noticed a very large downgrade in performance & brightness. Still waiting on a report from mitsub to also tell me if this is all under warranty as it is only 11 months old.

I must say though that when the unit it running, it runs very well.I just seem to be having a few small glitches & the people & reps who i have been dealing with sofar have been very helpful. I might just keep you informed with what happens with this unit.

Hope that gives everyone some info, really not sure what causes the vertical lines but it carries on through their whole line up of projectors, some handle it better than others.

cheers

Dean

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was running the power cable along side the s-video cable. When I moved the power cable away from the s-video cable, the lines/bars almost completely went away. I have a Cygnus Imaging IMX VT931 that I put on the X70UX ( it's a bit to big for the X70UX , but I jerry rigged it ). This smoothed out the image quite a bit. My wife says she can not see the lines/bars now. I can only see them , if I get within a couple of feet of the screen. I have not had a whole lot of time to play around with the projector since getting it. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to do some tweaking. If I come up with anymore problems or tweaks, I'll post them.

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Status update...

I found a great deal on a Demo DVDO Iscan Pro at a local AV shop($599). The image on the X70UX with Iscan Pro hooked up is downright amazing. After a bit of tweaking the color settings and brightness/contrast, the image really came together. I tweaked the IMX a bit ( using the golden calibration screw ) and have nice uniform pixel free image.

Greg

·
Registered
842 Posts
Just a quick commnet I have a Mitsubishi X400 and previuos to that a X390 and I never had any proplem with those machines. And I say no other PJ comes close when comes to reproduce colers and uniformety. So you guys really have to do your home work: like make sure you cables are connected properly your air filters are clean periodacly. afer all projectors in general are delicate machines. Rick

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Greg,

I too own a Mitsubishi x70 and have none of the problems you describe although i only use the VGA input of the projector. I run an extron switcher between my DTC 100 and my HTPC and this setup works flawlessly.

You think the I Scan looks good (and it does), wait until you see a properly tweaked HTPC with the ATI player (0 IRE settings)or true HDTV whether by antenna or direct tv on the dtc 100 or other satellite receiver/decoder. The x70 is very good at what it does, no question about it!

I thought i had 2 dead pixels but i think the material on my screen is faulty, during a light-medium colour scene/background in a movie, i can see reflections(glare) and 2 spots on the screen. The reflections follow me as i stand/sit and walk back and forth in my room. The 2 spots which i thought were dead pixels are basically in the middle of the screen, but when i move a few feet off center the spots disappear which thank goodness leads me to believe there are no dead pixels, although i'm keeping my fingers crossed. Like i said, must be the screen, waiting for Da-lite to come down and have a look.

Anyone have a similar problem with their grey screen when mated with an LCD/DILA/DLP projector?

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's, silver center and silver 3's(rears)

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

Dalite High Contrast Da-mat 16:9 grey screen

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
s>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Serge,

I guess I'll have to drag my PC up to the home theater room in the attic and give it a try at playing DVD's. I'm using a homemade 80" inch screen with the X70UX now ( It's made from a piece of foam core insulation board cut down to the proper size covered in black-out fabric and with black felt 3 inch boarders ). Does the grey screen really make a big difference in the image quality? Did you try out a greyhawk sample before going with the Dalite material?

Greg

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
greg,

i just went by the reviews, what was said is that both the greyhawk and HC Damat improved black levels significantly. In general, this is a major shortcoming with all LCD projectors. We are not talking subtle improvments here, i went from a med-dark grey with my old Da-lite model B screen to real blacks using the grey screens. The Da-lite is sold for under $500 with the frame for a 56"x96" 16:9 permwall screen or you can buy just the fabric and snaps and build your own frame for $100 less. The greyhawk is significantly more though. But for $500 or less, you will get a 200% improvment in black levels(i'm not kidding) and approximately 10-15% overall improvment in overall picture quality (whites do remain white by the way and not a shade of grey). I'd say the investment is worth every penny. I can't imagine my X70 looking any better than this, some times it's almost like looking through a window, that's how good the picture is after calibration. Are you drooling yet?

My advice, just to be absolutely certain, order a sample of the High contrast Damat from Da-lite or the Greyhawk from Stewart. I believe the sample are free. Then, if you like the results, go from there.

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's, silver center and silver 3's(rears)

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

Dalite High Contrast Da-mat 16:9 grey screen

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
s>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.