AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took a few pictures - played around with extended exposure, but not sure if its better or not. I'll post all the shots. I'll try and take a few more and spend some time with the camera settings (new camera and I'm a point and click person)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Dags,

thanks for posting these -- and a question for all and sundry: when looking at screen shots, what should I be looking for?

when I look at these I see images I like -- looks watchable and the dark backgrounds in one of the gladiator shots is understandable (I can see what's there). great color too.

As I said, I like what I saw very much. and am (hopefully) down to buying in just a couple of weeks. I have fits of wondering if I should go after that last 1 - 5 percent of picture perfection or wait for The Next Best Thing.

which I won't do. I remember, at times, that 'better' is the enemy of 'good enough'.

thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark,

The things to look for are those that are important to you. For some people contrast is more important than color, for others brightness is more important due to lack of ambient light control. The one thing I would say is have a look at some projectors in action before you buy. The difficulty I had with the screen shots was producing the right exposure to capture a "true" image of the picture.

I know how you feel on the brink of such a big purchase, but the time spent in this forum certainly helped me know what I wanted. I ended up getting the XD200 even though at the time there was little or no posting on it in the forum. But from reading the posts I knew what I wanted and when I saw 4 projectors in a demo side by side the choice was failry easy.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Looks like a huge difference in contrast between glad1 and glad2 on the same scene. Was this due to your camera technique???

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Thanks for the screen shots. I love those things. They are very cool and interesting. What are the specs for that projector? resolution? Lumens and contrast?

Hard to look for specific things with screen shots. Too many variables, especially the digital camera's exposure (If the camera is digital, that is....)and settings for each shot and other peoples shots, camera's, screens, lighting angle distance etc.

None-the less I love the shots :) thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nickb,

Yes it was the camera settings. I was playing around with the exposure (Canon S40 4 megapixel digital camera on a tripod). I actually trashed some of the longer exposures due to the brightness being even more ridiculous. I was actually experimenting with the setting on the camera for the first time, so didn't really know how they would look on the PC (hard to tell on the LCD screen on the camera). When I saw them I thought I'd post both. To be honest the actual image is a little brighter than the normal exposure shot, but not as "washed out" as the extended exposure shot.

I'll try and play around with the settings a bit more an get a true match to the actual image. The colors and contrast are good on the screen and I think across the set of photos you can see that.

Dags

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mikeett:

Check out the forum advertisers at the top of the page. At least two of them handle the XD200 and have prices in the upper $3K range.

I am also tempted by this PJ. Too bad the screen shots at the top of the thread seem to have disappeared, or is it just my computer?

Mike

·
Registered
657 Posts
While I have not seen the XD200, I did install an SD200 for a freind last week. It blew the doors off of my Davis Dls8 (Damn) , great color and better contrast than the numbers indicate.
http://www.theprojectorplace.com/projector models.htm

This is the site my freind got his at.

By the way for component you will need a HD15 to 3 RCA cable.

and contrary to Projector Central it does not have Lens Shift.

Brent McCall

Tsunami HT

·
Registered
446 Posts
ditto to mOOn. blank windows here too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dags,

XD200 is doing are great Job. The pictures were wonderful. I have seen

this machine connected with an S Video at a freinds place. Wonderful!!!.

How about connecting with a component input do you find a great difference???.Where can component cable be purchased???.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't used anything other than the component input, so can't tell the difference. The cable is a VGA Breakout cable. I got mine through the dealer, and simply have coaxial cable running from the BNC - RCA converters to the DVD player (coaxial cable will give less signal degradation then straight RCA video cable as I understand). I think the Breakout cable was an NEC cable, but I'm not sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.