AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done any comparison between these two? A guy at Projecotr People recommended the Mitsubishi XD300U over the HT1000. Wanted some more opinions.

Also, a couple of nights ago I purchased a 60" X 80" Draper Targa 1200 on eBay for $105... Thought this was a great purchase since they sell new for roughly $2000 and this one looked to be in excellent shape...

I'm really am interested in the HT1000 after reading so many complimentary articles about it, but I'm concerned with the height of my ceilings (8') from screen to 13' back and only (7') 13' to 15' back. The room is layed out with a 2' inset where the screen will go and eventually be encased with wood trim, etc... to give it a finished look...

I label this as a media room just because there is a bar area, gas fireplace and card table in the room (32' X 15'). The room can be completely dark since there are no windows. The only access is through a pair of solid french doors. I have 4 series of lighting: pendant over card table; 6 recessed over theater area; 2 sconces near screen area but have no reflection on screen and 5 recesses in bar fireplace area... All lighting will be on Lutron Grafik Eye 3104.

I have decided to keep everything 4:3 for now since I'll mainly be using the room to watch sports, play games and view an occasional movie.

Any ideas why the guy at Projector People suggested the Mits 300 over the HT1000?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same question.

By looking at Mits XD300U specs - it seems a very good rival to HT1000 and it has Farouja deinterlacer and scaler and very descent color manupulation options to say the least...

any commments guys...

·
Registered
19,074 Posts
That's funny - Projector People recommended that Mits pj to me too. I originally wanted an Optima H56, but the throw distance wouldn't work at all for ceiling mounting with my open beam ceilings - it would have been either too far from the screen or hanging on a 14' pole! I have nowhere to see any of these pj side by side, but wound up getting the HT1000 from P. P. based on at least 7 excellent reviews ( do a Google search ) and the fact it had the perfect throw distance for me. Have not regretted my decision one bit. P.P. had the best price too, but I didn't know about this web site - check with them for a price too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your throw distance, how large is your screen and how high is your ceiling (if you have it ceiling mounted)? I really think the HT1000 is the projector I'm leaning towards based on so many people being happy with it, but I wish someome out there with the MITS would chime in with their experience.

·
Registered
19,074 Posts
I have my projector 12' from the screen with the lens about 108" off the floor, with the top of the screen a little higher. Try these throw calculators -
http://www.nectechmedia.com/throw/throw.htm

Go to the HT1000 site here and click on installation guide for more mounting height and distance details.
http://www.necvisualsystems.com/appl...Product_id=326

I'm guessing all manufacturers have info like this - very important if you have mounting questions. Craig

Oops - forgot to mention - screen is 92" wide 4:3 screen, I'm projecting a 92" wide x 52" ( height varies according to what it is ) image - HDTV and dvd's look great!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
for the benefit of anyone who didn't catch this over on HTF;

when i ordered the HT1000 from pp last week, my salesman said they were no longer stocking them since sales had slowed down (no doubt other people like myself were waiting to see what cedia would bring).

they only had one unit in house they could ship out immediately, which was a demo unit with 3 hrs on the bulb (this should still be available and is slightly discounted).

i opted to have them drop ship me a new one from NEC.

offset with the NEC should not be a concern to anyone as its keystoning reform works exceptionally well.

you can place this pj just about anywhere and still achieve perfect gemoetry with no visible image degredation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Graig,

Thanks for the info... almost sure that I'm going to go with the HT1000... Still with someone would report out on the Mitsubishi XD300U... I know someone has to have one out there...

·
Registered
40 Posts
It seems like a better comparison for the Mits would be the NEC 240K. Both have 2x color wheels with a white segment and very high lumens. The HT1000 has a 4x color wheel without the white segment, so consequently its lumens will be lower while its contrast ratio will be higher.

Albert

·
Registered
916 Posts
we have a Mistu. xd300u at work for presentations.

I got the keys and took a couple of dvds up there to demo it.

One week before I went and looked at a Marantz 12s2.

The first thing I noticed was the brightness. Much brighter than the marantz. Color seemed very good, as did contrast and blacks. Not looking at them side by side, I actually liked the picture of the mitsu better. It just had much more of a punch to me. I will note however, the source material was not the same.

I did not see rainbows on the marantz but could on the mitsu. It was durring MIB 2. They were minimal but there. My buddy with me could not see them and thought the picture was great.

Screen door was not a problem until about 6 to 7 feet from the screen. We projected a 6.5 foot wide image and sat roughly 14 feet back. Shreck on this pj looked awsome.

The only drawback this pj has to me is the very slight rainbows I saw probably due to the 2x wheel. The HT1000 should have less Rainbows but be dimmer.

Jeff

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miklink
Anybody have screenshots of some of the benchmark movies using HT1000 or Mits XD300U ?
Screenshots are virtually worthless when comparing picture quality at this level. I don't even trust 'em in any real world evalauation at any level.

I just ordered the HT1000 and Bravo DVD player from AVS. Unlike the HT1000, the Mits does NOT have a DVI input, which for me would keep the mits off my list.

·
Registered
65 Posts
""""I just ordered the HT1000 and Bravo DVD player from AVS. Unlike the HT1000, the Mits does NOT have a DVI input, which for me would keep the mits off my list.""""

What would you think of Plus U2-1200 with DVI?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I haven't seen it so I am reluctant to comment.

From reviewing the basic specs, and given the fact that the HT1000 rebate places the price difference about $350.00 from the Plus, I would pick the HT1000.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
""""I just ordered the HT1000 and Bravo DVD player from AVS. Unlike the HT1000, the Mits does NOT have a DVI input, which for me would keep the mits off my list.""""

Miklink,

I see you have the PLUS U-1200 for sale in the HT Marketplace. The price seems too good to be true based on the MSRP but it has a DVI input and it's brightness and contrast are good. The only thing I can't find out is the speed of the color wheel. I searched the manufacturer's web site and couldn't find any mention of it. There is very little info on this projector here as well. What can you tell us about this projector in terms of it's performance?

John

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Anybody have screenshots of some of the benchmark movies using HT1000 or Mits XD300U ?

Certainly not a benchmark movie:D , but here is a shot with a link above the shot sized to 2048 x 1365 ....more than double the 1024x576 16:9 resolution of the Ht1000...which should reasonably give you a realistic idea of the pixel structure etc exagerated...sans dynamic range which digital cameras seriously lack.

Link to 2048 x 1365 shot.

Heres the small image that fits the guidelines of AVS which doesn't prove much other than color reproduction:
http://www.pbase.com/image/17426156.jpg

Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Mitsu 300.

It is ceiling mounted at about 14' from a 100: 4:3 screen gray DALITE screen.

I think the pic looks great...Ive had it for about 2 months now..I never see rainbows.

I had a white screen up for about 2 weeks (borrowed) and I think the gray screen actually made the picture softer (washed out some color)

Im kinda regretting the gray screen but I paid 800 bux for it so Ill live with it for a while

The peeps at PP recomended the NEC 240 and the Mitsu to me..I decided on the mitsu due to the warranty and 4000 hr bulb. Other than that they seem identicle on paper

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny_marin
Miklink,

I see you have the PLUS U-1200 for sale in the HT Marketplace. The price seems too good to be true based on the MSRP but it has a DVI input and it's brightness and contrast are good. The only thing I can't find out is the speed of the color wheel. I searched the manufacturer's web site and couldn't find any mention of it. There is very little info on this projector here as well. What can you tell us about this projector in terms of it's performance?

John
The price is true - at least that is what I'm selling it for (I got it from corp. liqudation and not making much profit on it - just to offset my loss on sale of used one) - I have three units 2 new and one I'm using in my family room.

Performance is absolutely great, at least compare to PL300u and HS10 that I saw in the local AV places and compare to about 5 different PJ's I've seen at work. I've tried LOTR 1 and 2, Gladiator, Perl Harbor, some Disney animation incl. Ice Age etc. and the colors are great even not calibrated or tweaked with AVIA. One thing I can say for sure: deinterlacer is great - I have not yet tried it with DVI or RGB/component - only S-Video (50 ft cable) from non progressive Pioneer DVD and from Dishnet - regular TV is as clear as DVD (most of the channels) no blockiness no artifacts. The color wheel I believe is 4 segment RGBW and I was told by Plus rep it is 3x speed =same as Sharp MX20. In 70 hrs of my viewing experience, I have seen very few rainbows - may be 3-4 times ( I had to look for them though) no eye strain here. My neighbor has X1- rainbows all the time. in fact - when he saw how Plus perform (especially in ambient light) he bit his lip to blood. :rolleyes:

Fan is quiet and case construction is solid and well built.

Menus are easy to follow and complete. did I mention it's lamp life - 4000 hrs in eco mode which drops your fan noise to about 28 db from 30db in normal (about 15-20% loss of brightness in eco mode).

I know - this sounds more like advertizing in order for me to sell - but I had posted same thing before I had two other Plus U2-1200's - I only had my first one at that time and did not plan to sell it. I posted my short word on projectorcentral.com too way before I had them all.

I do want to get better side by side comparisson with NEC, but I'm unable to find it locally. Out of "Mr. Biggles" screenshot pics( all of them on his website- i believe he used DVI too) - I can say : It is not far at all from the performance that I get from PLUS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.