AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading from an X80U to an MT7. the cost is about a 25% premium on my original purchase. The review I found on the MT7 gave compliments to its contrast ANSI contrast of over 200:1 I believe my X80U fell in line with most decent LCD .9" 1024 x 768 projectors of around 130:1

However the reviewer indicated that due to the compression on 1080i he found "artifacts like crazy" on the MT7 with small fast moving objects under 1080i, although native 720p was not problematic. I am not sure I will have these problems since I intend to use an HTPC in conjunction with myHD.

This is a major decision for me, but the upgrade price - no more than 750.00 seems appealing.

I have had absolute satisfaction with the X80u however I haven't seen HDTV on it yet - Superbit and high resolution still photos only.

But I believe the doubling of the available pixels, and the 1.2" LCD wide panels vs. the .9" I have presently make this quite compelling.

I appeal to those on this forum who have looked at the X80U and the MT7 to confirm that this would indeed be the kind of upgrade I am looking for. The Toshiba MT7 is a refurbished unit with a 1 year warranty. My X80U has 100 hours on it and a 3 year warranty. The refurb is supposed to have no more than a 100 hours on the bulb..

Alex

·
Banned
770 Posts
It's your money, so only you can say if the 35% more is worth it to you. The MT-7 is a better machine. Period. I own the Mitsu X70 and can say that I've had both machines at my house.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the upgrade cost (Although I will move from a new pj with 3 yr wrtty to a refurb with 1 yr wrrty is 625.00

I am concerned about the lumens of the MT7 It is 1000 vs. 1500 for the X80u, is 1000 sufficient ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, 1000 lumens is plenty, unless you have a huge screen (mine is 200*117 cm). If you have some control over lighting in your room, you should be fine. It needn't be totally dark, but some basic curtains will help for daytime viewing. Contrast is key for an LCD projector and you will appreciate it more in a room without too much daylight, regardless of lumens.

Jeroen

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I shipped the X80U back and got an MT7. So far I would say the colors of the X80u are so vastly superior to the MT7 that I am pretty frustrated.

I got this for HDTV and HTPC and discovered that the 16:9 aspect ratio is useless for HTPC as the MT7 is hardwired only to accept 4:3.

Anyone have any idea how to override the settings.

Using a convertor to component is apparantly worse than accepting the 4:3 signal.

It also has a single blue stuck pixel. But that is not the main problem. The main problem was that the X80U had perfect colors and this one doesn't/

I sure could use some pointers on how to calibrate it.

I have Video Essentials. But how will this help with Satellite ?

It is absolutely essential that I drive this from an HTPC.

As I ultimately plan to convert the HDTV using DIVX into a compressed format that I play from Hard Drive.

The good news is that it only cost me $350.00 to "upgrade".

Depressed

Alex

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,

If you feed the MT7 a VGA signal, it indeed seems to lock to 4:3. I have the same problem connecting to my Dreamcast with VGA output and don't know a workaround for this. A firmware upgrade could perhaps do the trick, but I haven't seen one officially available. ROne, another member with an MT7, is using an HTPC with a Keydigital VGA to component transcoder. Component is displayed using the full width of the panel. It may be a slight step back in quality compared to the original RGBHV signal, but he's happy with it. I feed my MT7 with 480p, 480i and 625i component signals (XBox, Gamecube) and it looks good with that - the MT7 is very capable of handling component inputs.

I don't know about calibration for satellite; search for MT7 on this forum for previous threads with calibration tips for the MT7 in general.

Good luck,

Jeroen

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So to play DVD source material on a TLP-MT7U there appear to be three options:

For HTPC : (preferable for me - who considers video a computing resource - eliminates vendor lock - allows compressing via DIVX at ~50% with no quality loss)

1. Use powerstrip at 1280 x 960 and select THRU

Problem: Tearing and jerking (is this processing bottleneck on MT7 ?)

2. Use an RGB to Component transcoder

Problem: See 1.

3. Buy a DVD Player for DVDs and 1 or 2 for PC based content

Problem: A completelty redundant piece of hardware in addition to my HTPC.

Is that about it ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think those are indeed the three most reasonable options and if I were you I'd go the VGA -> Component transcoder way. Perhaps there's a better quality transcoder available than the key digital one, but à haven't looked into this myself.

The only extra option I can think of is get a high quality (separate) scaler/video processor with 720p component output and component/VGA inputs. Feed the scaler with a DVD player using component (at 480i) and/or your HTPC with RGBHV (at 800*480 for instance) and whatever other sources you want. A good video processor will probably give you better performance than the built-in scaler in the MT7 or a basic transcoder, but not necessarily do a better job at scaling to 1280*720 than your HTPC. Besides, your HTPC will have already done the deinterlacing. And such a video processor will probably cost you considerably more than your HTPC.

Not a reasonable option then, I'm afraid. If only we could hack the MT7 and add a digital video input...

Jeroen

·
Registered
376 Posts
1. Use powerstrip at 1280 x 960 and select THRU

Problem: Tearing and jerking (is this processing bottleneck on MT7 ?)

2. Use an RGB to Component transcoder

Problem: See 1.

There is no tearing/juddering when using the component even from the PC. My set-up is rock steady at 720p 60hz in both PAL and NTSC.

I have also ran a 1280x960 60hz signal from a deuce HD scaler/de-interlacer and I Still got judder.

Its a VGA input issue not a source issue. All VGA signals will tear when featuring moving images on this projector.

49.9 hz for the vertical freq is the closest I can get to some sort of stability

but still introduces judder every 5 mins or so, and if you check the freq. clock display of the mt-7 you will see it change from say 49.954 to 49.956 over a period of minutes. I concluded a while back that the auto-signal detecting nature of the VGA shifts out of sync with the PC signal constantly.

Which is why when using componet (fixed at 60hz on 720p) you don't get these problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Results RCA VCHD300 (I think thats the model) RGB to Component. Powerstrip loading 720p profile using ATI Radeon can adjust colors and contrast to match second picture projected on your computer Monitor.

At this point a hair under the old x80u on sharpness but advantage of use of widescreen pixel panel giving a bigger image at near quality.

I think the problem is the RCA Transcoder - hope for beating clarity of X80U by upgrading transcoder to key digital.

Q. Should I do HDTV Modifed multiples of 720 x 480 (DVD original res >?) Should I select anamorphic so that picture is stretched ?

Am dying to get the Key Digital but will wait a few days.

Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.