AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I started with the idea of upgrading my TV to surround sound. I picked up a couple sale items but probably should have thought this through a bit better before starting. I keep hearing that I should not mix the front 3 but I'm on a budget and I would like as much quality as I can afford, with room to upgrade later. Here is what I have so far:

Receiver:I had an old receiver, Technics SA-EX310, but that doesn't have HDMI so I picked up a Yamaha RX-V375 on the advice of thewirecutter.com

Sub: Grabbed a Polk Audio PSW10 off Amazon

Center: Ebay had the Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker for $70, OK bought that. 

Current front: Two old Sony SS-MF 515 speakers

I have another $200 to spend but I'm not sure what to do. I was considering dropping $40 and some time to upgrade the crossover in the Sony speakers because they still work fine and I've read that an upgraded crossover can work wonders on them. That would leave me with $160 to either get the Polk Audio tsi100 or the Pioneer sp-bs22-lr as the rears. But then I started thinking maybe I should stick with Polk for up front and delegate the Sonys to the back. Or, why even upgrade the Sony speakers just get 4 of the Polk. Or, get 2 matching Polk towers for the $200 and use the Sony speakers unmodded in the back until i have some extra cash to upgrade. 

Clearly I need help. I'd appreciate any thoughts (even if it includes selling the old stuff on craigslist for extra cash to upgrade... ahh too many ideas!)

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemy  /t/1522321/mix-and-match-5-1-i-know-but-im-on-a-budget-and-need-help#post_24481114

How do those compare with the TSi series?
Sound is virtually identical the only difference is the cosmetics pretty much.

CS2 Series II works with the Series I Monitors too.

If you could find Monitor 60's or 70's it might more of a perfect fit with your CS2 but the Monitor 50's are as close as you will get in your budget

·
Registered
28,904 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1522321/mix-and-match-5-1-i-know-but-im-on-a-budget-and-need-help#post_24482245

Don't know where you are but if in SoCal you could pick up this whole system for $250.

Denon AVR 1612 receiver

Polk Monitor 60 towers

Polk Monitor 30 surrounds

CS2 center

PSW 10 subwoofer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-speakers-home-theater-denon-avr-1612-hdmi-receiver-5-1-monitor-60-tower-/271424832594?pt=Home_Theater_in_a_Box&hash=item3f322e4452

Even if you only need the receiver and towers you could sell the rest off.

Or run dual PSW10s. That would be nice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1522321/mix-and-match-5-1-i-know-but-im-on-a-budget-and-need-help#post_24482245

Don't know where you are but if in SoCal you could pick up this whole system for $250.

Denon AVR 1612 receiver

Polk Monitor 60 towers

Polk Monitor 30 surrounds

CS2 center

PSW 10 subwoofer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-speakers-home-theater-denon-avr-1612-hdmi-receiver-5-1-monitor-60-tower-/271424832594?pt=Home_Theater_in_a_Box&hash=item3f322e4452

Even if you only need the receiver and towers you could sell the rest off.
Not in CA But that went fast!

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemy  /t/1522321/mix-and-match-5-1-i-know-but-im-on-a-budget-and-need-help#post_24475668

I started with the idea of upgrading my TV to surround sound. I picked up a couple sale items but probably should have thought this through a bit better before starting. I keep hearing that I should not mix the front 3 but I'm on a budget and I would like as much quality as I can afford, with room to upgrade later. Here is what I have so far:

Receiver:I had an old receiver, Technics SA-EX310, but that doesn't have HDMI so I picked up a Yamaha RX-V375 on the advice of thewirecutter.com

Center: Ebay had the Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker for $70, OK bought that. 

I have another $200 to spend but I'm not sure what to do. I was considering dropping $40 and some time to upgrade the crossover in the Sony speakers because they still work fine and I've read that an upgraded crossover can work wonders on them. That would leave me with $160 to either get the Polk Audio tsi100 or the Pioneer sp-bs22-lr as the rears. But then I started thinking maybe I should stick with Polk for up front and delegate the Sonys to the back. Or, why even upgrade the Sony speakers just get 4 of the Polk. Or, get 2 matching Polk towers for the $200 and use the Sony speakers unmodded in the back until i have some extra cash to upgrade. 

Clearly I need help. I'd appreciate any thoughts (even if it includes selling the old stuff on craigslist for extra cash to upgrade... ahh too many ideas!)
the fact that youve already bought a center channel, kinda locks you into Polk Monitor series speakers if you want your front three to be timber matched. Don't get the PSW10, that thing sucks bad. I had the biggest brother PSW505 and even that was subpar.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemy  /t/1522321/mix-and-match-5-1-i-know-but-im-on-a-budget-and-need-help#post_24475668

I've found my best luck with Polk Audio Direct ebay store. Here is one example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-Monitor-50-Series-II-BLACK-Tower-Speakers-NEW-PAIR-/360881901187?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item54063cce83

You could also go with bookshelf monitors with a better sub and save a little on the speakers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-Monitor-40-Series-II-Speakers-BLACK-NEW-PAIR-/231177816701?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item35d3458a7d

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1522321/mix-and-match-5-1-i-know-but-im-on-a-budget-and-need-help#post_24484473

I've found my best luck with Polk Audio Direct ebay store. Here is one example: [link removed]

You could also go with bookshelf monitors with a better sub and save a little on the speakers: [link removed]
Yeah, Ive been checking out their ebay store. I guess that line has been discontinued in favor of the 55, 65, etc line so they have been clearing out the stock on the ebay store. Looks like the only difference between the 40 and 50 is cabinet size. Is that a correct assessment? Would they sound basically the same or would the 50's be worth the extra $60?

Unfortunately I already had opened the sub. I'll probably stick with it for now and upgrade in a year or so depending on how annoyed i get with it.  

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemy  /t/1522321/mix-and-match-5-1-i-know-but-im-on-a-budget-and-need-help#post_24485998

Yeah, Ive been checking out their ebay store. I guess that line has been discontinued in favor of the 55, 65, etc line so they have been clearing out the stock on the ebay store. Looks like the only difference between the 40 and 50 is cabinet size. Is that a correct assessment? Would they sound basically the same or would the 50's be worth the extra $60?

Unfortunately I already had opened the sub. I'll probably stick with it for now and upgrade in a year or so depending on how annoyed i get with it.  
The current line does not offer a "replacement" for the monitor series. The TSi have always been higher priced than the monitor series. and the R and M series have always been Polk's lowest end. The reason why the stuff on Polk Direct is so much cheaper is because its speakers that got sent back to Polk, Polk has assessed for whatever problem was reported, refurbished and/or repaired, and then list them on their ebay store. They can't legally sell them as new, but you are basically buying new speakers, they come with the same warranty and are all packaged as new. my whole system (with the exception of reciever and sub) was built using Polk Direct. I have had no problems.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schemy  /t/1522321/mix-and-match-5-1-i-know-but-im-on-a-budget-and-need-help#post_24485998

If you can afford it, the new TSx speakers have been getting pretty good reviews for the price.

This is one for the bookshelf style: http://hometheaterreview.com/polk-tsx220b-bookshelf-speakers-reviewed/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Not sure I can afford the TSx. In terms of matching and bang for buck should I opt for the $200 Monitor 50s on ebay or the $260 New Monitor 65Ts on Newegg?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts