AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your guys thoughts on mixing and matching for a HT setup. For instance, buying front speakers of one breand, a different center channel and another brand of surrounds (floor stabnding fronts, surrounds rear etc...)...

Or would I be better off just buying 7 surround speakers (same brand/kind) and using them for fronts, center and rear?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx
What are your guys thoughts on mixing and matching for a HT setup. For instance, buying front speakers of one breand, a different center channel and another brand of surrounds (floor stabnding fronts, surrounds rear etc...)...

Or would I be better off just buying 7 surround speakers (same brand/kind) and using them for fronts, center and rear?
Anyone wanna had this guy a "clue" phone?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, that was insightful. Thanks!

I see ht setups for sale that are all surrounds and a sub, just wondering what the pro's and cons of that kind of setup (all surrounds vs mixing and matching) are....

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
aegisx, what type of theater are you planning on putting together. Is this for a family room, dedicated room? Front projection, RPTV?

Generally speaking, you'd want the front three speakers to match so that the sound is consistent across the front. Using a dedicated center channel from the same product line is what most people do since many rooms can't handle a full size speaker for the center.

The rears don't have to be exactly the same but it helps if you're planning on doing multi-channel audio. Some rooms will do better with di-pole or bi-pole surrounds, some are better with direct.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx
wow, that was insightful. Thanks!

I see ht setups for sale that are all surrounds and a sub, just wondering what the pro's and cons of that kind of setup (all surrounds vs mixing and matching) are....
lol. I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ just making a funny. You want all to match because the same speakers/manufacturers typically will build their gear to the same tolerances-hence making them sound more "in tune" with each other. This will provide you with a truly seamless soundstage. It it sort of like how a quartet from the same family (siblings) typically sounds more harmonious. I hope this is insightful. : )

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its going to be a 7.1 setup in an open basement, so it is not the ideal HT room. I have not deceided on what kind of monitor, either front or dlp/lcd rear. it is going to be only used for movies/tv/games, no music.

I think I will want to have sat. types for the rears. As I mentioned in another thread, I can get a decent deal on Polk AMonitor 60's... but these seem to be better than the rest of the speakers I was planning on getting. So it may 'unbalance' it? Thats why I was thinking of getting just 7 surround.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by point_and_shoot
lol. I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ just making a funny. You want all to match because the same speakers/manufacturers typically will build their gear to the same tolerances-hence making them sound more "in tune" with each other. This will provide you with a truly seamless soundstage. It it sort of like how a quartet from the same family (siblings) typically sounds more harmonious. I hope this is insightful. : )
hehe, yes that was helpful :) Starting to lean toward just getting 7 surrounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.