AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I and my family enjoy karaoke, but we now how all our karaoke / videoke sources in digital. This means that all the devices use HDMI as output. I'm looking for solutions that would allow me to mix microphone audio and HDMI audio before sending it to my receiver / amplifier (which has a pass-through to my monitor / TV). (Plus points if reverb and echo can be introduced into the mic audio.)

If no already-built solution exists, I'm hoping for your creative solutions.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richip /forum/post/19640628

Hi,

I and my family enjoy karaoke, but we now how all our karaoke / videoke sources in digital. This means that all the devices use HDMI as output. I'm looking for solutions that would allow me to mix microphone audio and HDMI audio before sending it to my receiver / amplifier (which has a pass-through to my monitor / TV). (Plus points if reverb and echo can be introduced into the mic audio.)

If no already-built solution exists, I'm hoping for your creative solutions.

Thanks to HDMI's ever-present HDCP paranoid copy protection, what you want to do cannot be done in the digital domain. You would have to decode into analog (or at least digital audio), go into a mixer, add your mic mix plus effects and then have another device convert back to digital. Off the top of my head, I can't see anyway to reintegrate the video with the new audio without also taking that to analog as well. However, you can add all the reverb and echo that you would like.

There are a number of devices on the market that take analog audio and video and convert to HDMI. You'll have to do some searches to find a way to go from HDMI to analog unless your Karaoke machine already does that.

Unfortunately this isn't as easy as punching in the new audio into the digital data stream.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.