AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly I will be purchasing a Pioneer Elite 56Txi or 74Txi. I currently have a 2 x 100w Harman Kardon amplifier. I will be powering a 5.1 speaker system with a good center (possibly a paradigm cc 570), studio 40s or another two 570s for the front left and right and two dipole surrounds. I use my system for watching movies 95% of the time.

My question is what can I do with the Harman Kardon amplifier? I could run the FL and FR speakers from it or bi-wire or bi-amp it to the center or run the surrounds with it. Would this cause problems with the surround sound and sound field because of powering different speakers from different sources that are not the same? Timbre matching seems to be important so wouldn't this affect that also?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Run your seperate amp to the fronts L/R as they do most of the work esp if you listen to 2 channel music as well... let the receiver do the surrounds and center. In general you would need golden ears to notice any difference in sound (timbre etc...) produced from driving via 2 different amps to an HT set up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Valhallak. Since I'm 95% movie watching, what's your opinion on bi-wiring or bi-amping the 2-channel amp to the center and making it the highest quality possible (since it's powered by by separates)?

Since I am planning on spending the most money on the center (besides the subwoofer), it's suggest power input is probably going to be higher than the FR and FL bookshelf speakers. That is why I am considering powering it with both 100w channels of the amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.