AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a somewhat challenging room layout for a 7.1 install, I am contemplating installing 2 dipole surround speakers (paradigm sa-adps) in the rear wall behind the main seating area as well as 2 direct firing in-ceiling speakers for the side surrounds (paradigm sa-15r-30) which are orientated at 30 degrees to point at the seating area.

Is mixing dipoles (for the rear) and direct firing speakers (for the sides) a bad idea? Is mixing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for surround a bad idea? Obviously I'm not going to get the perfect setup, but I am still hoping for a nice sounding, enveloping, experience.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think that dipoles/bipoles do their job best when in the side-surround near field, not in the rear-surround position. I don't think it's a bad idea to mix them with direct radiators; until just recently (when I scavenged my direct-radiating rear-surrounds out of my living room into my bedroom setup) I used dipoles as near-field surrounds and direct radiators as my rear-surrounds, and it was magic. I'm sorry, but I have no experience with in-walls, so I can't advise you there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have mine set up the opposite. Dipoles on the sides, and direct radiators as the surround backs. Sounds great IMO.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsantanni /forum/post/20812672

I have mine set up the opposite. Dipoles on the sides, and direct radiators as the surround backs. Sounds great IMO.

I do not have dipoles, but from what I have read this is correct. You should be using dipoles as your side surrounds and direct radiators as your rears.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. Ideally yes I'd love to have the dipoles on the sides, but as I dont actually have side walls I'm forced to using in-ceiling speakers for the sides. And as paradigm doesnt have in-ceiling dipoles I need to use direct radiators there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.