AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I Have a set of MMG's and a Klipsch Subwoofer and I love the sound thus far its nothing like I've ever experienced. Along with an NAD C356BEE, It sounds great but I was wondering about this because I feel this could either sound amazing or sound like trash lol. I have a Denon Amp and a digital delay system ive accumulated over the years and I was wondering if mixing the mmgs with a set of B&W Bookshelf for the rears would be a good idea? I feel it would have the possibility of being a killer experience but I wanted to get somebody elses take on it.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Rear channels carry about 5 to 10 percent of the audio, meaning, sure ... try it out. I think it might be a waste of a nice speaker, unless you have and enjoy a lot of 5.1 concert videos.

Note: Andrew Robinson in his review of the Magnepan 3.6 tried out some Def Tech speakers as surrounds, and he shut it down in a hurry :).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear channels carry about 5 to 10 percent of the audio, meaning, sure ... try it out. I think it might be a waste of a nice speaker, unless you have and enjoy a lot of 5.1 concert videos.

Note: Andrew Robinson in his review of the Magnepan 3.6 tried out some Def Tech speakers as surrounds, and he shut it down in a hurry :).
Well I wasn't planning on a 5.1 system I was planning more on just rear speakers, not actual surround sound. All a digital delay system does is make it less of it just playing the same exact sound at the same time. so more of a 2 channel 4 speaker system so to speak Ive just been figuring that well B&W's are the nicest cone speakers ive heard, and Maggies, well they're maggies! and there would be a possibility of a really unique sound with the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well I wasn't planning on a 5.1 system I was planning more on just rear speakers, not actual surround sound. All a digital delay system does is make it less of it just playing the same exact sound at the same time. so more of a 2 channel 4 speaker system so to speak Ive just been figuring that well B&W's are the nicest cone speakers ive heard, and Maggies, well they're maggies! and there would be a possibility of a really unique sound with the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
It's hard to say how it will sound. Panels play and sound completely differently than conventional speakers. But it never hurts to try it out. Let me know what you think after you tested it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to say how it will sound. Panels play and sound completely differently than conventional speakers. But it never hurts to try it out. Let me know what you think after you tested it.
Well it'll certainly be a future thing saying ive spent 2 grand on my current setup and Bowers arent neccesairly the epitome of cheap audio

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another idea I had was adding another 10" Klipsch sub and sitting the maggies on each sub as sort of a Martin Logan deal

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Now I've got it. I thought you already had the B&W's. I'd say forget it :). As far as your other question, two subs will usually give you a smoother bass response over a larger listening area, so if you have a problem with that, then two subs will help. If you don't have a problem, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I've got it. I thought you already had the B&W's. I'd say forget it :). As far as your other question, two subs will usually give you a smoother bass response over a larger listening area, so if you have a problem with that, then two subs will help. If you don't have a problem, I wouldn't bother.
well I only have a 14x14 room but I put the MMGS on some tables to raise them in height and it did improve the sound to me so I figured itd be a kill two birds with one stone to add another sub

1 - 9 of 9 Posts