AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new center channel, the CSi A4. I was running a full JBL setup but when I went to a flat screen, I needed to add some better mids and highs to the center. The CSi A4 filled that gap pretty well, but leaned more towards the highs, so I left my old center in play as well. I know this is a stupid setup, but it gives me a bit more depth.

So, in an effort to fill the gap between the sub and highs even better (while removing the second center speaker), I'm contemplating replacing my bookshelves with the Tsi300's.

I can't afford the Rti A5's, so I figured I'd look at the next level down, Tsi.

After listening to them in the store, they sound like they will add the ranges I want to add.

I'll deal with the rear surrounds at a later date.

What I'm using now:

Front: JBL E20

Center: Polk Audio CSi A4 (was running JBL CS25)

Rear: JBL E10

I was also contemplating getting the RTi A1's for the fronts to add the brightness that the CSi A4 added. The low-mid and high that the TSI300's put out is hard to ignore though. I haven't found a place to hear the RTi A1's compared to the TSI300's to tell for sure how different they sound. My guess is though that the RTi A3's would be a better choice. May try to find a place that has all 3 so I can hear them side by side before I buy anything.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else had mixed like I'm thinking of doing. How well do they blend?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, BB has them for $204 a piece and since they currently have a buy it and restock until Jan 31 without a fee, that may be where I'd buy. If they don't sound ok, then I just pack them up and take them back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Refurbished and $80 shipping, so more like $600 for used.

That does make me want to listen to them for comparison sake though. $600 is better than $900 ($1000 with tax and whatnot)... lol Just means I save a bit longer.

Thanks for making me think!

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
they're coming directly from Polk, they're not used. and if you win the bidding you'll pay way less than $600. The last 5 winning bids were between $379 and $405 which means well under $500 shipped.

They have been many theads about the Polk Audio Direct purchases and everyone who purchased from there said the speakers look and perform brand new. More than likely they're excess inventory. Harman Kardon does the same thing with Infinity and JBL speakers on the Harman ebay site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I auditioned the two today, and I will say the difference between the two was significant in the mid range. Since most of the sound comes through the front two speakers, I saw this as important. Due to my set up, I went in wanting to like and get the CSI A4, because I am mounting this thing on the wall under my televisions and the CIS A4 would look much better due to the front only port and much smaller size. Once I heard the CSI A6, I had to have it. I would say, If you can't fit the CSI A6, then go for the A4. The A4 sounds great as well. But if you can fit it, definitely go for the A^A. That thing is freaking amazing.

Also, If you have the RATI A's, you must get one of the two CSI's. The CS20 great Amazing with the TSI line, but it is not timbre matched to the RTi line. I tried it, and they just did not mesh right. I did not think that matching was all that important until I tried it, and it makes a HUGE difference. Try to buy as many speakers as you can from the same of any product line, particularily the front two and center.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm with you. I went to a Fry's near my work and after getting the sales guys to leave me alone, I was able to listen to the TSI300 and Rti A1-A7's side by side... not even a close competition really. The Rti all sounded so much better and matched up as noted with the center that I have.

I'm glad I had a chance to hear the A1's and A3's too. They just don't add much over what I have now, definitely not for what they cost. Both sounded brighter, but didn't really add any more depth. Ok, maybe the A3's were a bit more full sounding... but when I turned on the A5's, they were quickly forgotten.

That said, I didn't notice the A7's sounding any better or richer than the A5's, which I was a bit surprised by. They actually lacked the midrange I was looking for. I'm guessing the A9's would fill both the low and midrange gap.

All in all, I thought the A5's fit the sound I was seeking better than the A7's did.

Now I will just wait for the tax return and try to get a set of A5's on ebay direct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.