AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always read that when you are setting up your speakers you need to make sure they are "timbre-matched." I would guess that one way to do this is by buying the same brand for all of your speakers and sub. But I notice that many of you have various brands in your HT...how do you make sure that it is all "timbre-matched"? It is a matter of just calibrating the system with something like Avia and a SPL? I'm asking because I want to replace my HT a piece at a time and it would be helpful to understand what to look for if I choose to mix and match. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm not the most technically advanced here, but basically you want "timber-matched" front speakers with your center channel. So keep the FL/FR/CC all in the same family, and more preferably, all in the same product line within that family.

·
Registered
42 Posts
no two speakers from different speaker companies sound alike.

i think if you were to break the rule of mixng speakers, do as dj johny adivsed, keep the front 3 speakers the same line.

timbre matching just allows for smooth transition of sound form one speaker to another.

if youre not too tight about audio, then timbre matching might not necessarily apply to you as much as someone sensitive to audio. but then mixing and matching adjustments with speakers in your set due to different speaker sensitivity might be a pain.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

I use a pair of Totem Model 1 signatures for my front l/r and a PMB TB1 for the center. I have balaced them to the extent that i can with an spl meter and the sound program that comes with my Denon.

The Totems (as i have a l/r rear pair as well) are the anchor speakers of my system. I plan in time to get the matching center and sub.

All that i can say about the effect of my non matched center speaker is that it is certainly not a disaster but i agree wholeheartedly with the concept of matching the fronts.

Peter m.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.